Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steering wheel change

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
GTSLOW

Default Steering wheel change

I bought a used 05 GT and just purchased a new leather steering wheel and shift ****- ford parts- my question is how easy to change out the steering wheel. With fords do you need a puller.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Steering wheel change

I've never used a puller, just pulled until they come off. Now, I haven't taken a steering wheel designed for an airbag off before but they still attach the same way.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:55 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

No puller required - other than airbag - it should only be one bolt...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM
GTSLOW

Thanks guys. Just wanted a heads up before I disconnected the battery, let it sit, and remove the airbag.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

does anyone have a step by step on how to do this, I'm going to be changing out my steering wheel too.

disconect the negative then the two bolts on the side????? I read some thread on how you have to wait a 1/2 after you disconnect the negative before you do the install, is this true?? also, is there one big bolt after removing the wheel????
Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Be careful - I have no idea how touchy these airbags are - My personal view of these things is that they are to be considered loaded guns!

1. power off (you would not want the bag firing on you - that would be unpleasant)
- there is a fuse in the "smart box" for the air bag pull it... I
- turn the car back on and make sure the idiot light is complaining about the airbag being off...
- ignition off again (never hurts to pull the battery cable if you don't mind resetting your radio)
- wait a minute (at least) for the backup battery to deplete.
2. remove 2 bolts on either side of the column (they are under little caps)
3. remove airbag connectors from the back - keep track of which is which (they should be keyed, but be careful)
4. remove airbag module - point it away from you - store business end up out of the way on something non-conductive
5. make sure wheel is straight (before getting this far)
6. remove the single bolt holding the wheel in

This info comes with no warranty whatsover, you are an idiot to take my advice, you did not hear it from me, I never told you I don't know what you are thinking taking your wheel off
Old 07-21-2006, 07:03 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

05HOTROD what steering wheel are you putting on inplace of it, does it use the stock airbag or are you going to be running no airbag? Do you have a link to where you purchased, would like to see what it looks like.

-Jeff
Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

From the sounds of it he is changing to the IUP steering wheel.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:17 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

I bought a stock IUP leather steering wheel like the first pic,

the second pic is the wheel I have on now, absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just want the brushed look now. I plan on having the new one upgraded with a thicker leather feel, but maybe later. the second pic is much better leather and looks alot like the shelby style leather wheel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20677/B9053CB40BD645F9B4DC83E14735756B.jpg[/IMG]

this wheel is actually much darker gray in color, the flash just made it look faded
V
[IMG]local://upfiles/20677/53A7B55F02BA4246AFF90D6E7F28F8BF.jpg[/IMG] ***F O R S A L E ***
Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 PM
GTSLOW

I am doing the same wheel change. I should get it FedEx today or tomorrow. the Base steering wheel feels like crap. I cant wait to get the leather one on. I also bought the leather shift **** for 20. new. the wheel was about 170 though. still not bad.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel change