Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ok please don't beat me up too badly - mods questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default Ok please don't beat me up too badly - mods questions :)

Been pouring over these forums for a couple of weeks now, trying to balance my mods budget, with my "best bang for the buck" ideas based on the wealth of knowledge I've found here. It's truly been an education for a mods novice such as myself.

Currently I'm in Iraq, have around two months to go and when I get some vacation time in October, I'm planning on hitting Dynospeed in Memphis TN or Jasper AL for Bamachips to get some initial mods done on the car.

As much as I'd dearly love to get a SC for my 05 manual, I can't afford to, as I just bought a house. But a few mods to hold me over until the SC money gets saved up for in another 10 months, seems like a good way to scratch my itch without breaking the bank.

I'd like to see if my plan here has any major flaws in it according the experts we have here and any alternative routes, I might be better off taking or something I'm forgetting.

1. Steeda Panhard brace
2. Steeda Panhard bar
3. Tubular, adjustable LCA
4. Eibach Springs

5. C&L CAI and Tune w/
6. SCT2
7. Steeda UDP

Now, I realize the UDP are a waste once the SC days arrive, but for NOW, they help alleviate the itch for more HP. I read about the Mez Pumps and wondered since some posters here said folks were getting one or the other, but apparently not both, what's the problem with getting both? Wouldn't the Mezpump help free some mass and therefore HP in addtion to the UDP setup?

And lastly, can anyone recommend LTH that don't have a problem fitting (as I've heard some do) and still provide a decent HP boost. I was originally going to go with the JBA (749$ ouch!) but heard they are too big. Is that true? Is there a better brand? Are the "Thorely's" easy to get?

So add:

8. Mezier pump
9. LTH.

This all came out to a bit over $2k plus whatever I end up forking over in installation. I figure if I get it all done in one shot, it won't be too painful.
My last consideration was getting 3.73 gears installed.

Thoughts? Dramatic oversights? Will this cure the itch and tide me over until I can upgrade with forged internals and a SC in a year or so???

Thanks,
Cherry-Modder in Iraq
Old 07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
GT JIM
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ok please don't beat me up too badly - mods questions :)

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE IN IRAQ!

First off I would change out the mufflers, the axelbacks simple bolt off and replacement is simple. I went with the ford racing stingers which are made by borla.

If you aren't going to put a S/C on right a way I would put on a CAI
Old 07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
jay00f4
2nd Gear Member

+1 For your service in Iraq.

I would do the LCA, panhard, Springs etc.. Get the car ready for the SC so you can hook up better. Instead of spending money on mods that you will just remove in the next year.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

C&L is the CAI offered by Dynospeed and seems to get good reviews on these forums, so it's definitely on there as part of my package of mods.

With the Stingers that's more of a sound related bonus right? Doesn't actually give you more HP? Don't get me wrong, making the car sound better is definitely something I want to do but initially, I'm more concerned with a bit of HP and about getting HP to the street.

(note to self, start searching for more info on the Stingers)

and thanks for the support
Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
GT JIM
1st Gear Member

Well the stingers not only make your stang sound better but they also open it up and lets it breath better. From what I have found they add about 15-20 HP.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:15 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the service, stay healthy over there. The Kooks and American Racing LTH seem to get good reviews on fit and finish; both are made from 304 stainless, I think American Racing is currently doing a special buy. If you are planning to get a supercharger in the future I would go with the electric water pump instead of the UDP’s. The HP saved is about the same and you would still be able to use the pump with the supercharger, you would have to remove and sell the UDP as they wouldn’t work properly with a supercharger.

Earl
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

+3 on service.

Keep in mind most vendors have discounts for service people...also let your mechanic/tuner know you're in Iraq. You just might get a better deal.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

I know the UDP will become worthless with the SC. In fact, won't the CAI also get put out of business? It's a pretty inexpensive modification tho, so while it won't last more than a year on the car, it'll definitely be worth the bang for that year. I know, I know, redundant, but I just can't help it

Considering my only HP mods in that initial ten are the CAI, the custom tune, LTH and then the MezPump and UDP freeing up some horsepower, how much would I really be looking at? Not that huge of a gain I wouldn't think? (20 for CAI after tune, 15 more LTH, free up maybe 20 between UDP and MezPump still only adds like 55 rwhp to the car right? Nothing to sniff at tho or am I off base?)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:42 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Okay, first off it doesn't matter that your not going to have a blower for a while the UDPs are still worthless. You are paying to get 10HP only in colder weather which is not going to be noticable in the first place. As for someone recommending Axle-Backs the Stock Exhaust is find to keep, it's just all whether or not you want to car to be louder (which with longtubes it will be) so you could wait on that. Also I would recommend Hooker Headers considering they are only $500 and have always been reliable.

The Electric Water-Pump is just a complete waste of money IMO so don't blow money on UDPs and the Water-Pump when you could use the cash for something more worthy. I say go with 3.73 Gears because you are adding a blower and the 4.10s would be a bad combo with it.

All of the suspension mods you listen look good and I would recommend you go with Evolution Performance or Brenspeed's Tune with your CAI and Tuner.

-Jeff
Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Wow that's the first time I've heard UDP only helps in colder weather. So it doesn't free up 10 hp or so, at all times. And the water pump isn't worth 10hp either. Damn. Alright, interesting to note.

The only reason I'm not going with Evo or Brenspeed (and I was very interested in Brenspeed) is the distance to get there. I want to put the car on the Dyno for a custom tune, so I'm sticking with Dynospeed (seem to be well respected) as it's only 3hrs away or Bamachips which is further but it is along the roadtrip path I'm going to follow that month.

Thanks for the input fellas, all very helpful.

Quick Reply: Ok please don't beat me up too badly - mods questions :)