Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you need cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:56 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Default Do you need cams?

NO...

The cams in these cars are not a weak link and I did more research than I wanted to cause the cam issue was a big one for me. After it was all said and done, I personally believe that the offerred cams for our cars really do nothing more than give you that muscle sound. I honestly believe that in a year or two, there will be some serious custom cams for our cars but I just don't see that right now. How well will the stock cams hold? Well, JDM has them on a 900hp turbo car spinning 7600 rpm with no problems. Livernoise has them on their 770 hp car spinning at 7400 rpm. Justin Burcham has them on his car spinning almost 7600 rpm, powerhouse has them on their 660 hp car spinning at over 7000 rpm. Get the point...lol

If they are so bad, then ask yourself why all the top cars out are running on the stock cams? The reason is, they are good. The trick is to upgrade everything AROUND them. The cams will hold at high spin just fine as long as you take care of everything else.

Now let's look at cost cause if you thought you just buy the $650 cams and drop them in, then you thought wrong. The only real reason to want cams is to be able to spin your car up but in order to do that, you're going to need valves, springs, retainers, rockers, seats, ports, etc. etc etc. So that $650 quickly turned to over $2500.

Now if you just want that old school rumble, then wanting cams might be your bag, but you certainly don't 'need' them. In case you're wondering, the GT500 utilizes the exact same cams that are in the GT now.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do you need cams?

ORIGINAL: blowngt

NO...

The cams in these cars are not a weak link and I did more research than I wanted to cause the cam issue was a big one for me. After it was all said and done, I personally believe that the offerred cams for our cars really do nothing more than give you that muscle sound. I honestly believe that in a year or two, there will be some serious custom cams for our cars but I just don't see that right now. How well will the stock cams hold? Well, JDM has them on a 900hp turbo car spinning 7600 rpm with no problems. Livernoise has them on their 770 hp car spinning at 7400 rpm. Justin Burcham has them on his car spinning almost 7600 rpm, powerhouse has them on their 660 hp car spinning at over 7000 rpm. Get the point...lol

If they are so bad, then ask yourself why all the top cars out are running on the stock cams? The reason is, they are good. The trick is to upgrade everything AROUND them. The cams will hold at high spin just fine as long as you take care of everything else.

Now let's look at cost cause if you thought you just buy the $650 cams and drop them in, then you thought wrong. The only real reason to want cams is to be able to spin your car up but in order to do that, you're going to need valves, springs, retainers, rockers, seats, ports, etc. etc etc. So that $650 quickly turned to over $2500.

Now if you just want that old school rumble, then wanting cams might be your bag, but you certainly don't 'need' them. In case you're wondering, the GT500 utilizes the exact same cams that are in the GT now.
While I agree that stock these cams are good, new cams have more lift and duration which will provide better hp and tq. If you make 700hp with stock cams you will make more with better cams, I agree cost is against them but because I'm staying NA cams are in my future and I know there is a possible 45hp + with a new set coming out. I'll post more when I have permission to do so.

The easy way is to supercharge and be done with it, I'm going to make 370hp with no SC, the car will be ready for the SC with this setup and since I'll probably go with Saleen when and if I SC the car, I can make 450hp safely with lower PSI.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:19 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

The main concern with custom cams is the clearence issues on the pistons, lifters, and followers. For this reason, the aftermarket cams are pretty much the same exact specs as the stock cams for now. Only the grind is changed which effects mostly your rev & idle. Yes, you will see some more lift and duration, but not significant enough to make them worth while for the $$$ right now IMO. As I said, I think in the near future you will see some serious custom set-ups that address the clearence issues and utilize a complete custom system. But you are right also, it is a much better consideration when wanting to stay n/a over FI. I would definitely consider them if I was n/a. But, even n/a - getting a complete head job and upgrading everything else around the cams will net you bigger hp returns on your money than just the cams.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

That's good to know!I was seriously looking into cams but could'nt decide.You helped me out with this decision!THANKS!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

The main concern with custom cams is the clearence issues on the pistons, lifters, and followers. For this reason, the aftermarket cams are pretty much the same exact specs as the stock cams for now. Only the grind is changed which effects mostly your rev & idle. Yes, you will see some more lift and duration, but not significant enough to make them worth while for the $$$ right now IMO. As I said, I think in the near future you will see some serious custom set-ups that address the clearence issues and utilize a complete custom system. But you are right also, it is a much better consideration when wanting to stay n/a over FI. I would definitely consider them if I was n/a. But, even n/a - getting a complete head job and upgrading everything else around the cams will net you bigger hp returns on your money than just the cams.

The stock cams vs aftermarket cams are more different than you think. A read on Comp Cams site will help out here.
http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=-944523949
Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

JDM Ported heads with Comp Cams and a set of Kooks long tubes would be really fun. Great "old school" sound and good HP & TQ increase. I hope somebody will go this route soon....[sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-23-2006, 09:53 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: viking396

The stock cams vs aftermarket cams are more different than you think. A read on Comp Cams site will help out here.
No offense but I know a lot more about cams than you think. Forget about what a company claims about their products. Supply me the name of a single rebuild with the comp cams running right now and I will reconsider my position. As I have always said, I'm not knocking cams - it's just too early in the game yet to be a safe buy which is EXACTLY the reason no one is running and posting numbers yet. For sure things will be different in the near future. Everyone is just holding out for now for more info. I only know of ONE guy running any cams on a rebuild (not comp) and he is collecting data right now. Once you've got all the goodies inside the heads done, cams is an easy addition and re-tune. I still stick by my opinion that it is better to do everything else for now and hold off on the cams for a bit.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XLeatherNeck

JDM Ported heads with Comp Cams and a set of Kooks long tubes would be really fun. Great "old school" sound and good HP & TQ increase. I hope somebody will go this route soon....[sm=gears.gif]
I want to however nobody has this sorted out yet with the new cams, if they did my **** would be in line to get 'er done.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:04 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

No offense but I know a lot more about cams than you think. Forget about what a company claims about their products. Supply me the name of a single rebuild with the comp cams running right now and I will reconsider my position. As I have always said, I'm not knocking cams - it's just too early in the game yet to be a safe buy which is EXACTLY the reason no one is running and posting numbers yet. For sure things will be different in the near future. Everyone is just holding out for now for more info. I only know of ONE guy running any cams on a rebuild (not comp) and he is collecting data right now. Once you've got all the goodies inside the heads done, cams is an easy addition and re-tune. I still stick by my opinion that it is better to do everything else for now and hold off on the cams for a bit.
My comment wasn't a statement about your knowledge, just a statement that the Comp Cams are more different from the stock ones than you might think. I don't need to supply the name of someone who used them, I don't care, I know I want them because I've seen the specs on the new cams compared to the specs on the stock ones and they impressed me enough to want them.

Mostly we agree, the cams are very new and like anything new takes awhile before people start installing them, just like when the first 3V SuperChargers came out, not everybody hopped on board, they waited for a few others to wring them out. These are more difficult to install so we won't see the same amount of people going to them, since they require new retainers and springs etc... it's a lot of work, but for me it will be worth it but I will be waiting for others to discover the bugs and wring them out.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:16 AM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Agreed. Your in line with many of us...

Quick Reply: Do you need cams?