Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

can you do burnouts on your new stang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: can you do burnouts on your new stang?

don't rev so high (6000? holy moly)....try this

Traction control OFF

rpm to 2500-3000
let clutch out quickly

you should hear the tires squeel....if not, you have a problem somewhere good luck
and happy tire spinning

Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

my car is 5 speed and l have burned a lot of rubber on stick shifts.. l do know how to burn rubbers. and yes TCS was off. but this car didnt burn the tires. l revved the car up to 6k rpm.

yeah l do spin tipes when l floor the car off the line.. l spinn all the way through the second gear.. but l am talking about BURNOUT.. stay and do burnouts.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Timing????

To get it right, sure timing is involved, but I have just wanted to take off quickly with the car and ended up sideways. And I have the factory 18" wheels/tires and I am bone stock.

Basicly, a few thousand RPMs and coming up pretty quickly with the clutch will break em way loose. Floor it at that point and you will be loose for at least 40 feet if you can keep the car pointed straight.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:17 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

Traction control OFF

rpm to 2500-3000
let clutch out quickly

you should hear the tires squeel....if not, you have a problem somewhere good luck
and happy tire spinning

for some reasion while l am accerating and if l try to hit the brake, brake is getting very hard, almost impossible to push.. this much be computer.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
ORIGINAL: cekim
ORIGINAL: mvm549
try reving it to about 3,000 rpms,let the clutch go, then floor it when it catches.u have to learn the timing though
Throw a procharger on there with about 15lbs (aww heck, go for 20lbs!) of boost...
Don't make any other changes... (stock tires, springs, LCA's etc...)
Floor it and drop the clutch - timing will be pretty irrelvant...
Then post that you cannot hookup at WOT
Shortly after that, post a question asking where to get a new motor, and transmission, and well basically a new front end, youll need one after the explosion sends parts flying all through your firewall. Hell may as well buy a new car [8D]
Hopefully the sarcasm in there was sufficiently obvious... [&:]

If you haven't gathered by the now, the trick is either heal-toe the brake and the gas...

Though, I have always wondered what the appeal of that was?
I like watching other people destroy their cars/tires and certainly in a water box (with drag tires), but I have not felt the need to do it myself with the '06 (a break-stand that is, not just burning the tires from a stop - I know how much fun that is...)
Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

I see what your saying now.....

you may be right, it may be that the ABS or simply the computer
will not allow you to have power to the wheels and be braking
at the same time....

I've never tried it and don't plan too.....it's not for me....I want my car
to last awhile....

ORIGINAL: doodad

ORIGINAL: hammeron

Traction control OFF

rpm to 2500-3000
let clutch out quickly

and happy tire spinning

for some reasion while l am accerating and if l try to hit the brake, brake is getting very hard, almost impossible to push.. this much be computer.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad
l have tried to do burnouts but the car didn’t do burnouts..
What year is your mustang? Is it manual or automatic? What size rims do you have?

I have a 2007 GT convertible manual with 17" rims. I used to do burnouts with my 2002 GT convertible with ease (50% throttle at 3k and those tires will slip right out on you). In this 2007GT I can dump the clutch at 5kRPM, throttle wide open (TCS and AC off) and all I get is "chiiirp" and the car bogs down. I think the reason is throttle lag caused by the new throttle by wire system and the tall *** tires that come with 17" rims. I think those tall tires really grip well in burnout conditions. Also a conversable has more weight in the back and as a result, has better traction. I have not tried smoking the tires now that I have lower profile tires on my 18" rims, but maybe I will give it a shot.. Wait a minute.... OK, I just gave it a shot with my new tires and it definitely helped a lot. I can now do a smoky 180 degree turn (with some effort, however).

I saw a mention of applying the brake with the gas on. The brake system is power-assisted by the vacuum from your intake manifold. With the gas applied you have no power assist on your brakes anymore. Also, even if you stand on the brake and gas in 1st gear while rolling at at 10mph you will not get any tire slip.

If you want to sit and smoke the tires while doing as little damage to your car as possible I can give you my opinion on how to do it, if you pm me.

-howy
Old 07-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Ummm, these cars are basically set up to do peel outs or brakestands.

Take off the TCS

Rev it up about 5k, quickly let the clutch out so the tires break free.
Keep the gas up
get your left foot on the brake and hold it until you are done.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

so doodad you did get a mustang? Because i know you seemed to be debating it....but anyways i have an 06 gt stick and I have pulled off some nasty burnouts, so yes it is very very capable of smoking them tires.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoxdirtrider84

so doodad you did get a mustang? Because i know you seemed to be debating it....but anyways i have an 06 gt stick and I have pulled off some nasty burnouts, so yes it is very very capable of smoking them tires.
oh yeah, l did get 06 gt premium stick.. l posted here under ' here is my new ride 2006 mustang GT premium' l really cant do burnouts and l have no idea why.. l believe it is computer.

Quick Reply: can you do burnouts on your new stang?