Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why return to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:13 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why return to stock?

I had to have my engine replaced at 9,400 miles because of an adjustable cam timing problem. I took mine in with the tune the CAI the UD pulleys and 4.10 gear. The dealer asked me to bring in the stock pulleys so they could put them back on and gave me my UD's in the trunk. They knew none of it had anything to do with the problem. Magnuson law says they have to prove that what you installed caused the problem. I say leave it like it is.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:16 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Cekim I got ya! I was laughing like a mug when I read your quote " come back with the car restored to original condition and tell him - "now fix it mother!@#$er" that is sooo funny to me! I keep laughing every time I think about that line. Oh God that is funny..I few more replies and I will post what Im gonna do. I WILL also post what happens when I go to the dealer tomorrow..

Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: td1320
I had to have my engine replaced at 9,400 miles because of an adjustable cam timing problem. I took mine in with the tune the CAI the UD pulleys and 4.10 gear. The dealer asked me to bring in the stock pulleys so they could put them back on and gave me my UD's in the trunk. They knew none of it had anything to do with the problem. Magnuson law says they have to prove that what you installed caused the problem. I say leave it like it is.
So, you have a semi-cool dealer rather than one of those really cool ones who says - "don't touch the main caps or the head bolts and I am fine". I wish I could find one of those...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

td1320,
Your cam issue keeps me up at night as I prepare to install the SC...

I looked through your posts as bet I could - did you post info about what happened?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

It’s truly your call but do NOT rely on the Magnuson act to do anything for you. Neither the dealer nor Ford has to prove anything that is what you have to remember.

Sure there is a law that states blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day unless you have some major cash and some exceptionally good lawyers you’re basically sh*t out of luck my friend.

Since you have a tune it very well could be the tune. Since the dealer has absolutely no clue what kind of tune you have and what kind of damage it may have, or have not, done I would side with them and Ford and if needed completely deny any warranty work of the engine, transmission or rear-end.

I just don’t understand how some people really think a dealer and Ford should have to repair something that could be related to a tune of aftermarket parts. If you, or anyone else for that matter, completely, and I will state that again “completely” reads the Magnuson act they would know it is meant to cover people for items that replace parts on the vehicle that MEET the manufactures SPECIFICATIONS, or oils etc that MEET the manufactures SPECIFICATIONS. It give absolutely NO protection to anyone who “modifies” their vehicle and a tune is a modification that could cause serious damage to a vehicle regardless who did the “tune” unless it was completely done on a dyno.

The ONLY proper and professional tune is one done completely on a dyno because NO two vehicles are alike period.

So, you have two very simple choices, either retune it to stock and see if the problem persist or roll the dice and know if the dealer blinks it’s all over and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. Perhaps that sucks but people really need to understand that is reality and stop fantasying about some stupid act that aftermarket people push titled Magnuson act.

If aftermarket dealers was so confident in their products they would back their mouths with their wallets instead of mislead people with the Magnuson act…
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

td1320,

I looked through your posts as bet I could - did you post info about what happened?

The dealer never found out what was really wrong. They think maybe a crack in the oil passage going to the cam adjusters. They changed everything dealing with the cam adjusters and it took changing the engine to get rid of the bog. It would flat bog like someone was cutting the ignition off and then suddenly take off like a bat-out-of-hell. I have had no problems since and the car has 35,000 on it now. I had the dealer replace my 4.10 gear (the shop that put the first two in must not have got it right and it vibrated like hell at 70) and it has a slight wine on the drive side now but they will not touch it again. They say it is no louder then a new one. I did not know the new Mustangs had any gear wine from the factory. Anybody want to chime in here?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim
The dealer never found out what was really wrong. They think maybe a crack in the oil passage going to the cam adjusters.
Thanks for the details - in preparing to effectively void my warranty on the engine - failures that don't appear in the first 3K are the ones I think about...

As for whine - no rear whine hear - a little trans whine but nothing from the rear...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

It’s truly your call but do NOT rely on the Magnuson act to do anything for you. Neither the dealer nor Ford has to prove anything that is what you have to remember.

Sure there is a law that states blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day unless you have some major cash and some exceptionally good lawyers you’re basically sh*t out of luck my friend.

Since you have a tune it very well could be the tune. Since the dealer has absolutely no clue what kind of tune you have and what kind of damage it may have, or have not, done I would side with them and Ford and if needed completely deny any warranty work of the engine, transmission or rear-end.

I just don’t understand how some people really think a dealer and Ford should have to repair something that could be related to a tune of aftermarket parts. If you, or anyone else for that matter, completely, and I will state that again “completely” reads the Magnuson act they would know it is meant to cover people for items that replace parts on the vehicle that MEET the manufactures SPECIFICATIONS, or oils etc that MEET the manufactures SPECIFICATIONS. It give absolutely NO protection to anyone who “modifies” their vehicle and a tune is a modification that could cause serious damage to a vehicle regardless who did the “tune” unless it was completely done on a dyno.

The ONLY proper and professional tune is one done completely on a dyno because NO two vehicles are alike period.

So, you have two very simple choices, either retune it to stock and see if the problem persist or roll the dice and know if the dealer blinks it’s all over and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. Perhaps that sucks but people really need to understand that is reality and stop fantasying about some stupid act that aftermarket people push titled Magnuson act.

If aftermarket dealers was so confident in their products they would back their mouths with their wallets instead of mislead people with the Magnuson act…
Now I am going to get on my "soap box". Why does a part have to look exactly like the OEM part to be called a replacement part? How can Ford sell a CAI that "oh my God looks just like a Steeda CAI" but dictate which one voids the warranty? The fact is if you don't know what you are doing and if you don't know how to work on your own car and don't know basic automotive principals then a dealer will eat you up and spit you out. I went in to complain about a warranty issue and when I was done with the General Manager of the dealer he offered me a job. I am ASE Master Tech certified and I will not have a Service Writer try and tell me some bull **** story about why it wont be covered when he doesnt know his *** from a hole in the ground. All most of them can due is regurgitate what the technician has told them and the technician probably couldn't fix a car if it were not for haveing a known good part for most problems to swap out and see if it fixes it. Okay i'm done.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Now I am going to get on my "soap box". Why does a part have to look exactly like the OEM part to be called a replacement part?
Not to kick the soap box out from under you, but the point is that the law is not a magic wand...

a. OEM is a designation that means Ford will treat it as if they had put it on the car - they cannot possibly allow for all the permutations - they may and do error on the side of cation to an irritating degree, but if I made widgets and they broke when people changed them, I would have a hard time not saying "you are SOL - that is not what I sold you"...

b. There are still PEOPLE involved (owners of dealerships, decision makers at Ford and Laywers (gotta love them - I am married to one))...

So, the fact is you have to deal with the "PEOPLE" regardless of what the law says... I think that is the overriding point of most "don't put too much faith in the Magnuson act" rants say and it is true...

It is illegal for someone to shoot me, but I'll be darned if I am letting the law stop them... they have to deal with ME!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

But my point is if you go in there knowing what you are talking about then 9 out of 10 times you will get agreeable results. The dealer will not tell me that tune in my car is causing me not to be able to fill my car up without repeated sqeezes of the pump handle. Thats all I am saying. My dealer knows I know what I am talking about and they push me back to see how far I will go to get satisfaction. I go pretty far.

Quick Reply: Why return to stock?