Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Max power - N/A

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Max power - N/A

Just wondering about what is max hp for our GT's while still staying N/A... along with what all would have to be done to achieve that.. obviously I realize all the bolt ons.. but what else could be done aside from just the common intake, exhaust?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Max power - N/A

All depends on how much performance ford left on the table when they designed the heads.

The heads are the main performance key of the motor. But sometimes, you can do more harm than good by messing with them

But headwork, different cams maybe. A stroker kit. Etc. Will all help.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Muscle mustangs and fast fords mag did head work with cams and the most they got from just those two was about 382rwhp. . . which is really good, but if you add the stroker kit and what not, def in the 400+ range. also, if you consider nitrous to be in the N/A relm, your looking at a lot more.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:06 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

with full bolt ons, heads, cams, and a proper tune, 425 rwhp is very possible.

but driveability will suffer.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:13 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Ive always wondered what people mean when they say that... exactly how is driveability effected?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

right now 400rwhp/400rwtq is the goal for a lot of people that is JUST out of reach but will likely be found on rare occassion in the coming couple years when more and more head/cam/tuning potentials are maximized in unison

if 330rwhp/340rwhp can be done NA on stock exhaust, then full off road exhaust, p/p heads, and aggressive cams *should* get me close to 400/400.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

right now 400rwhp/400rwtq is the goal for a lot of people that is JUST out of reach but will likely be found on rare occassion in the coming couple years when more and more head/cam/tuning potentials are maximized in unison

if 330rwhp/340rwhp can be done NA on stock exhaust, then full off road exhaust, p/p heads, and aggressive cams *should* get me close to 400/400.
The other thing to consider is that this is not going to be cheap...

Assuming the parts were ready (which they aren't) you are looking at Cams,Heads and compression changes...

I would expect from my prior efforts with 351's that with a 281 at those levels, particularly early on, you are going to have a very rough idle...

Which do sound damn cool - so that is not always a minus - and if you have to pass emissions, you are going to need a freindly tester willing to "work with it"...

The summary right now is that the parts aren't there - let someone else figure it out... When they do get there, expect to need cams and lots of TLC on the heads if not new heads and/or components.

The part that threw me into FI when I love N/A is that you will go to all that effort have a cool sounding but rough engine and you are at 400-450... having spent 3/4 or more what it would take to do the same thing with FI...
Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

The other thing to consider is that this is not going to be cheap...

Assuming the parts were ready (which they aren't) you are looking at Cams,Heads and compression changes...

I would expect from my prior efforts with 351's that with a 281 at those levels, particularly early on, you are going to have a very rough idle...

Which do sound damn cool - so that is not always a minus - and if you have to pass emissions, you are going to need a freindly tester willing to "work with it"...

The summary right now is that the parts aren't there - let someone else figure it out... When they do get there, expect to need cams and lots of TLC on the heads if not new heads and/or components.

The part that threw me into FI when I love N/A is that you will go to all that effort have a cool sounding but rough engine and you are at 400-450... having spent 3/4 or more what it would take to do the same thing with FI...
Thanks for the info. No I dont have to pass emissions and a better sound is always a plus. Do we have any ideas about when these parts will start hitting the market? I mean.. are they researching this stuff now or is this all years down the road?

The reason I am asking all this is I DO plan on going FI one day.. (in.. roughly 4-5 years) but until then I want to squeeze every ounce out of this thing that way when I toss on FI I will have the most I can possibly get out of the car.

I also realize it wont be cheap.. probably the same price as FI, if not a little more. The only thing with doing this is that I can spread out the money for mods over a course of say 4 years because I wont have a massive 6k bill all of a sudden like when you go FI.

Right now this is my daily driver but within the next 4 years or so I plan on getting another car to replace this as my DD so that this can become just a fun weekend warrior/ track car. And hopefully one day me and my son/daughter will be able to work on it and maybe give it to them when they get old enough to appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Thanks for the info. No I dont have to pass emissions and a better sound is always a plus. Do we have any ideas about when these parts will start hitting the market? I mean.. are they researching this stuff now or is this all years down the road?
Oh yeah - there are some companies working on it... Some making more progress than others - but right now the cost vs actual benifit equation is pretty skewed...

The reason I am asking all this is I DO plan on going FI one day.. (in.. roughly 4-5 years) but until then I want to squeeze every ounce out of this thing that way when I toss on FI I will have the most I can possibly get out of the car.
This is a tough one as builing a N/A beast and a FI beast require some divergence early on...

N/A wants high compression
FI wants medium compression - it makes that all up with boost!

N/A wants cams that range from less than ideal with FI to downright bad (blowing your boost out the tailpipe)...

So, while big injectors, fuel pumps, strong crank/rods, good pistons, main studs are common - some of the important details are not...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:01 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

So then basically... its impossible to max out an engine N/A then add FI on top of that later and get like.. a super beast ?

Quick Reply: Max power - N/A