Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone else have problems hitting 3rd with the 3650?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone else have problems hitting 3rd with the 3650?

When I test-drove my new '06, I thought that the 3650 shifted way better than the Borg-Warner in my '88, but boy, was I wrong about that first impression. I've had a problem hitting 3rd so many times that I think that I have a "golf swing" mental block now. I'm not talking about hitting 3rd under pressure, like while racing, I mean just in casually driving. At least once a day it's a whoops! I can't find it! A while ago, someone posted this link that describes an overhand/underhand shifting technique that actually helps alot, but I still can't do it without thinking about it.

Anyone else having a 3rd gear problem or am I just a klutz?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone else have problems hitting 3rd with the 3650?

Gonna have to go with Clutz or just unfamiliar with the trans. Im 23 and have only had the car for 3500 miles, and this is my first stick. Think I have missed 3rd 7 times now. It always happens when someone else is in the car which makes me look bad.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:53 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

don't worry it will go away with time. Took a year and a half, 20,000 miles but I don't miss.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Took a year and a half, 20,000 miles but I don't miss.
I only have 2,000 miles, so maybe it's a bit of a break-in issue as well?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

Took a year and a half, 20,000 miles but I don't miss.
I only have 2,000 miles, so maybe it's a bit of a break-in issue as well?
I think your right, it does just slide into third easier now than when I first got mine.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

A while ago, someone posted this link that describes an overhand/underhand shifting technique that actually helps alot, but I still can't do it without thinking about it.
To me, this backhand method they describe would make it very easy to go from 2nd to 5th....

When I was getting used to the 2nd to 3rd pole vault... what I would do was just push the shifter out of 2nd, let it hit the neutral gate, and it would naturally "spring" into the perfect position to then just push up into 3rd.....I dunno, worked for me...

Now I'm still getting used to the Saleen short shifter, so it's all different now....

Good luck with it..
Mike
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

To me, this backhand method they describe would make it very easy to go from 2nd to 5th....

I was very skeptical about it too, but it definitely works for me. I've not missed a gear when using the method. I just don't use it fluidly yet.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:34 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

I only miss it when it counts....like when i'm dragging. Don't have any problems around town, but a quick power shift into third is quite difficult.....i've never had a problem with other cars, but this one likes to get stuck in the gate....it's just a matter of time, and I rarely rip on my car, so i probably just need more practice.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:14 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

If it only happens when normally driving, then just take 2nd to like 5K rpms so you can hit 4th after and still be in a decent power band, problem solved. Otherwise I find that 3rd need some TLC cause half the time itll just fly in and others it will spit back at you and you just need to be firm in your 3rd shift that way incase it happens you get it in anyways
Old 07-29-2006, 03:57 AM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

I'm the one who posted the link to the "back hand" shifting technique. I'm really glad it has been of help to you, because it sure has been to me over the years. If you practice the technique just a little bit more, to the point it's second nature, I bet you will never miss a shift again, period.

The link is to a site selling BMW shifter parts because I used to have a BMW M3 that was notorious for shifting, just like butter, at 6K into the wrong gear. Many of my brethren did "the money shift," particularly in the excitement of track days. Once I learned the technique in the link, I used it whether I was driving at 10/10, or taking my kids for ice cream--I never thought about it, it just became second nature. I still use it on every stick shift I drive, with 100% success. In cars like the Mustang, where the effects of torque make the shifting at WOT a bit challenging, this technique works equally well.

mlcrycc, I have never gone from 2nd to 5th, that won't happen--if you try this technique a few times, you'll see what I mean.

I find the shifter in my Saleen to be particularly crisp and precise; certain short shift kits may help improve shifting too.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have problems hitting 3rd with the 3650?