Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

car feels slower with windows open.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default car feels slower with windows open.

acceleration just doesn't feel nearly as strong; the engine seems to just not have the torque when the windows are open.

is this just a perception thing? if so, why?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: car feels slower with windows open.

Could also be all the air coming into the car that is pushing you back a little. I always close the windows when I want to go "fast", do it without thinking about it.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Over about 50mph, you actually loose power, or at least usable power, due to drag. You'll actuall save gas and have more power if you roll up your windows and turn on the a/c.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

I saw a study that shows your car will get more MPG with the windows closed and AC on than driving with windows open. (They were testing driving on the highway.) So I figure that is also related to the cars performance on the butt dyno
Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 AM
jonnyjon84
1st Gear Member

to maximize MPG, generally speaking, above 50 mph roll windows up and turn on A/C. Below 50 mph, roll windows down. However, there are other factors as well. How many windows are down, and how far down are the main concerns. Remember, you don't need all ur windows down at 60 mph to stay cool, you just need decent air circulation. Halfway down could provide the same cooling effect with less drag...

In any case, it all amounts to less than a MPG difference between AC and windows down anyway (unless you're going like a buck 20) so I say crank up the A/C full blast if you're cruising on the highway!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Like said above, you are indeed slower. It will hurt you on top end massively. You are breaking the natural flow of air over the body.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I personally experienced the change in MPG while on PCH. I thought at the time that having AC on was bad and so kept rolling the window down. I had reset the computer which shows MPG and it would drop about 1 or 1 1/2 MPG when I had the window down. On a recent long trip I noticed no discernible drop in MPG when using AC instead. I used to think that turning it on would cause more tension on the belt, and the expected increase in engine work to maintain a constant speed. Nope!
So what it means is no more sweating it out with just the fan on higher than normal! Go AC Baby!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

yeah, about 80mph the air gets really loud and annoying, plus you can feel the drag a bit. . .

Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jonnyjon84

to maximize MPG, generally speaking, above 50 mph roll windows up and turn on A/C. Below 50 mph, roll windows down. However, there are other factors as well. How many windows are down, and how far down are the main concerns. Remember, you don't need all ur windows down at 60 mph to stay cool, you just need decent air circulation. Halfway down could provide the same cooling effect with less drag...

In any case, it all amounts to less than a MPG difference between AC and windows down anyway (unless you're going like a buck 20) so I say crank up the A/C full blast if you're cruising on the highway!
I'm guessing you have a vert, because I only have 2 windows I can put down.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

A/C on? Doesn't that cause drag?at least in my wifes honda it does; it's like opening a parachute on the Hwy. I honestly haven't had my car long enough to find out, it's in the shop now for the clutch packs and master cylinder leak.

Quick Reply: car feels slower with windows open.