Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I'm looking into Intakes that don't mess with the computer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default I'm looking into Intakes that don't mess with the computer...

Any suggestions regarding a great intake that won't mess with the cars computer??? I ordered a 2007 Ford Mustang GT Coupe (automatic)??? Right now I have 2 in mind that people haven't been discussing...the INJEN "POWER FORCE' and the AEM "BRUTE FORCE." What are your thoughts?

Also, for you people who know about this stuff (cause I don't)....if I get a whole new exhaust system...from headers, h,v, x,y,z whatever pipe lol....catalytic converters all the way to the muffler tips (i'm talking whole thing aftermarket).........will that affect my computer at all????

I want to make some great MODS but not mess with the ECU (computer)...whatever thingamajig!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Gus
Old 08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I'm looking into Intakes that don't mess with the computer...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtaem.htm

this one has always advertised no tune necessary
Old 08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

There's a thread floating around here somewhere about a Granetelli Intake that doesnt require a tune. It looks good and I think some guys may have already had some luck with it. See if you can find It looks like a good buy and It comes with an updated MAF sensor so it doesnt throw codes and you won't run lean

Found the link for the thread click here

Or you can buy a K&N intake, I dont think those require a tune.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:21 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You need to ask yourself why you want to do these mods.

If you want more power, then you need to understand that adjusting the computer is where the power comes from. The bolt-on mods (CAI or exhaust) simply lets it happen.

You can bolt a new CAI onto your car and you don't NEED to tune it in most cases. But without the tuning, you will only get a small boost in performance, and there is also the RISK of the engine running too lean and/or those annoying "check engine" lights.

For example: Intake alone +5 HP. Intake and Tune = +25 HP.

Some CAIs are advertised as "no tune needed", but those simply aren't as good as others with a tune. Unless you have the tune to change your fuel mapping, there simply isn't anywhere for the HP gain to come from. Remember that to make HP you need to burn more gas--and that is what the tune does.

I would buy a CAI and a Tuner as a package from one of the well-established shops: Brenspeed, Evolution, or Bamachips. The popular CAIs are the JLT, the C&L, K&N, and a few others. The first two that I mentioned are the most popular. They are also the ones that recived the highest scores in the review by 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine.

Don't be afraid to do the tuning. It is VERY easy. You plug in the tuner unit under your dash. Push the button to copy the tune file onto your car's computer, than wait about 2 mintuies. Then, you unplug it and you're done. That's it.

As for the exhaust on our cars, it is very good from the factory. The stock exhaust isn't particularly restrictive. Most guys change out just the mufflers for louder ones. This doesn't affect HP at all, though it does improve the sound of the car. This is also called an "axle back" exhaust swap.

If you want more HP, there are various options:
Shorty Headers: 3-5 HP
Long-tube Headers: 15-20 HP or so by themselves, but they are always installed in conjuction with a new X/H pipe...
"Off Road" X/H pipe (no cats): 5-10 HP (varies)
High-flow Catted X Pipe: 5-10 HP (varies)

About the best you could expect would be longtube headers plus an off-road X-pipe, in which case you'd be looking at 25 HP tops. I got about 20 RWHP from Longtubes and a high-flow catted Xpipe.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Holy Crap! Thanks for the help guys...I really am scared to do the whole TUNING thing....I guess I just have to muster up the ***** and do it! I rather get 20 plus than just a measly 5-10. I'm thinking C&L.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:30 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I actually have one more question. My car will be ready in mid-September...when is it safe to put modifications on it? Thanks again!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

well,

if it doesn't void the warranty. . .

or its just common sense. . .

C&L w/ a tune from say brenspeed. . . won't hurt the warranty . . .unless somehow the tune and intake cause a motor problem . . . then they won't fix the motor problem. . . but if the intake and tune didn't cause it. . . they will fix it. . .
Old 08-07-2006, 07:03 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS
Any suggestions regarding a great intake that won't mess with the cars computer???
In your case I would defintely skip the intake and just get the tune. If you take it to the dealer you can pop the stock tune back in and they will never know. It will give you much more bang for your buck, and if you want to do any HP mods in the future you need a computer tune specifically for each mod you do anyway. For the most part, any mechanical mod that gives you more than a few HP will not run properly until you tune your computer for it.
I have one more question. My car will be ready in mid-September...when is it safe to put modifications on it?
I would put a few weeks on it so any problems your car has will obviously be the car's fault and not the tune's fault.
-howy
Old 08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the above. I initially got the S&B and it is nice. Coupled with the JET TBS, it practically got rid of any throttle lag and I did feel a slight increase under acceleration and I kept my piece of mind of not tunning the engine. But that only lasted 4 months. I then went with the C&L w/ XCAL2 and holy crap, what a difference!!!! If I had to do it again, I would not have spent o/a $200 on a CAI that does not require a tune. It's like driving a whole different car...very addictive!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Grantelli is a quality product...they own the mass air market from what I understand they have the patent on the original design. They are top notch and very high quality. The reason you do not have to retune the car with their kit is b/c is has calibrated mass air that makes the adjustments.

Granitelli also own PRO-M for what its worth

Quick Reply: I'm looking into Intakes that don't mess with the computer...