Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone running a 87 octance tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone running a 87 octance tune?

Hey, just curious to know if anyone is running an 87 octance tune instead of an 93. Performance is not my top goal, I rather not have to buy 93 octane and loose a few horse...speaking of loosing horse, what could I expect with an 87 octance tune.

Also I notice Brenspeed C&L kit w/ SCT says something about 3 tunes...what that about?

Thanks,
Mike.

P.S. I know I've been a post ***** the last couple days, but I have nothing to do but wait for my car.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone running a 87 octance tune?

ORIGINAL: svt93style

Hey, just curious to know if anyone is running an 87 octance tune instead of an 93. Performance is not my top goal, I rather not have to buy 93 octane and loose a few horse...speaking of loosing horse, what could I expect with an 87 octance tune.

Also I notice Brenspeed C&L kit w/ SCT says something about 3 tunes...what that about?

Thanks,
Mike.

P.S. I know I've been a post ***** the last couple days, but I have nothing to do but wait for my car.
You get 3 tunes with your SCT, as for what to expect with 87, why bother? If performance isn't your goal, going with 87 is a sure way to insure the least amount of gain. Not trying to be mean or anything but to ask how much when not expecting much, seems kinda silly. I digress, my guess is if with a 93 tune and a good CAI you get 25hp, then with a 87 tune I'd drop it 10 simply because they pull a lot of timing out of it.

Which means your shift points when having fun won't be anywhere near optimal.. I could be completely full of crap however who knows.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

I only run the 93 octane tune. The soul purpose for me getting the custom tune was maximum return on my investment.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:01 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

Hey, just curious to know if anyone is running an 87 octance tune instead of an 93.
I switch between the two depending on how poor I feel when it's time to fill up. The difference between my 87 and 93 tune is not nearly as large as the difference between no tune and my 87 tune.
-howy
Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

Anybody Use a 91 Octance tune? Here in AZ our premium is 91...... I assume it wont be THAT much different from a 93 tune but obviously there will be some changes.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

well I asked for a 89, 91 and 93 tune with my brenspeed order, so i'll let you know when it gets here. How long does it normally take? I emailed them my tune preferrences last Thursday and haven't heard anything yet. I'll try both tunes and see if I can tell any difference.

I filled up with 93 this afternoon after letting the car go to almost empty (computer said 20 miles left till E). The difference in price is 20 cents, big freakin whoop! I've always used atleast 89 in all my vehicles after getting really bad 87 gas atleast a half dozen times around here.

ORIGINAL: Skunkworks

Anybody Use a 91 Octance tune? Here in AZ our premium is 91...... I assume it wont be THAT much different from a 93 tune but obviously there will be some changes.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:51 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Skunk--At first I ran the 91 tune for a few weeks with 93 gas. There is no 91 oct here but I thought that the gas might be over rated at the pumps so I wanted to make sure I had no issues with running lean. Once I was sure I had no issues with the gas in my area I went up to the 93 tune and have never looked back.

No issues what so ever.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

I am running an 87 tune from Brenspeed when I purchased my C&L CAI and Xcal2 (manual transmission). It made a huge difference over the stock tune. A HUGE difference. The throttle lag was gone, it was like a whole new engine. I wanted to try this before going to the 93 tune that everyone is talking about but have not had a chance to run out all the 87 and refule with 93 and re-tune.

I can't say how much more horse power the car may have, but I feel a big difference. My only mods are the CAI and MAC axle backs. Oh, yeah and the car sounds much better as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:40 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

Thanks,
Mike.

You get 3 tunes with your SCT, as for what to expect with 87, why bother? If performance isn't your goal, going with 87 is a sure way to insure the least amount of gain. Not trying to be mean or anything but to ask how much when not expecting much, seems kinda silly. I digress, my guess is if with a 93 tune and a good CAI you get 25hp, then with a 87 tune I'd drop it 10 simply because they pull a lot of timing out of it.Which means your shift points when having fun won't be anywhere near optimal.. I could be completely full of crap however who knows.

Your not being mean I appreciate your response. But seems to me people are getting 30+ at the rear with a tune and a CAI not 25hp and as far as pulling alot of timing out I disagree...it would only be a few degrees difference.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:48 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I've run both tunes and can say I can't really tell the difference. I have an auto, MAC CAI, and Corsa exhaust and it seems about the same. I know the 93 tune is hotter but can't tell enough difference to justify the extra cost in gas, JMO.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a 87 octance tune?