Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

intake question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 AM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: intake question

thanks for the info black,appreciate it.i went ahead and put the bracket on with the aftermarket nut.i have to go buy a hacksaw so i can use the valve cover nut,anyway,the intake is still touching the hose.how do you adjust it so it doesn't touch the hose.i'm afraid the heat could damage the hose.ski,you mentioned getting a tubular foam sleave to put around the hose,where can you get it at.i might have to do that.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:43 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Hmmm, still not sure why some people have trouble with touching and some do not. Strange, I went and checked mine again after this topic came up and I had a pretty good space between the two. Not close to touching. All our parts hook in the same places and use the same spots so its weird to me. One of those things that just makes me want to understand what happens..

Anyway, it sounds like your just about done and have figured it out.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

hey flew.i been done except that...lol.the intake alone took 10 minutes.its not touching much,just a little by where the maf is at.i tried loosing up the part by the throttle body and adjusting it,let me ask you something,did you use the bracket,if you did,did you do anything to it to make it higher?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:17 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I knew what you ment. I did not use the bracket.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:50 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06musgt

thanks for the info black,appreciate it.i went ahead and put the bracket on with the aftermarket nut.i have to go buy a hacksaw so i can use the valve cover nut,anyway,the intake is still touching the hose.how do you adjust it so it doesn't touch the hose.i'm afraid the heat could damage the hose.ski,you mentioned getting a tubular foam sleave to put around the hose,where can you get it at.i might have to do that.
Home Depot, Lowes, plumbing supply, etc.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:13 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Couldn't these aftermarket intakes come off under heavy load? I mean there must be a reason that ford used a flexible tube.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ford uses it cuz its cheap . . . its just rubber and plastic

and no, the bracket and clamps will keep that sucker tight . . . actually, the same thing that holds the stock one on holds that aftermarket ones on. . . the hose clamps.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:54 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Yes, but the C&L is all one piece of aluminum, so no way it can flex, while the stock tube is a rubber accordian. I'm sure if it could come loose it would be all over these boards. I just removed my stock setup, waiting for ups with my JLT.

Do I have to swap the vacuum connector from the stock tube? That sucka is in there good.

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

ford uses it cuz its cheap . . . its just rubber and plastic

and no, the bracket and clamps will keep that sucker tight . . . actually, the same thing that holds the stock one on holds that aftermarket ones on. . . the hose clamps.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

if your talking about the MAF just before the air box. . . then yes. . .

you have to have the special hex tool to remove it and install it again, your JLT setup should have that in the instructions along with the hex tool, my C&L did
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

No, i'm talking about the connector right before the throttle body. On second thought I think it's some kinda vent for the crank case or rather the valve cover, oh wait, it's not called a valve cover anymore is it. I didn't use any special tool to remove the MAF, I actually thought it was an air temperature sensor, i just used a torque bit. The MAF looks like a little digital camera, that thing must be blocking a lot of air from getting in.

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

if your talking about the MAF just before the air box. . . then yes. . .

you have to have the special hex tool to remove it and install it again, your JLT setup should have that in the instructions along with the hex tool, my C&L did

Quick Reply: intake question