Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

17 and 18 inch factory setup difference - i have the answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:17 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

Default 17 and 18 inch factory setup difference - i have the answer

My dad works at ford and he emailed the manager of the suspension department for the mustang, and he said that all the springs and stabilizer bars and everything is the same for the 17 and the 18 inch setup, except the tuning is different...probably the spring rates and some other minor things. so it doesnt sound like there's a big difference but there is one.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 17 and 18 inch factory setup difference - i have the answer

If anyone is interested, I noticed the yellow tagging on my rear shocks.... it definitely says G. I have the 18."

Now if we can get someone with 17s to tell us that the yellow shock tag says F, we will be in business...
Old 08-12-2006, 01:18 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt7er

My dad works at ford and he emailed the manager of the suspension department for the mustang, and he said that all the springs and stabilizer bars and everything is the same for the 17 and the 18 inch setup, except the tuning is different...probably the spring rates and some other minor things. so it doesnt sound like there's a big difference but there is one.
So you don't have the "answer".... everybody has made this guess...
Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

well nobody knew for sure if there was a difference, what im saying is yes, for sure there is a difference. and the difference is in shock tuning, not the actual components.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 AM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

This was answered in another post elsewhere. 17" wheels come with a CCGG spring setup and 18" wheels come with FFBB. The info is on your door sticker as to what springs you have on your car.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:34 PM
tuco

ORIGINAL: DaBoss

This was answered in another post elsewhere. 17" wheels come with a CCGG spring setup and 18" wheels come with FFBB. The info is on your door sticker as to what springs you have on your car.
I have the 18" polished Bullitts, and my door sticker says DDFF. What's up with that?

2007 GT/CS Vert - Black - stone stock - just got it yesterday.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:42 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Other way around but yet for the 05/06 that seems to be the case
Old 08-12-2006, 12:44 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tuco
I have the 18" polished Bullitts, and my door sticker says DDFF. What's up with that?

2007 GT/CS Vert - Black - stone stock - just got it yesterday.
a. the 07's are a bit heavier due to additional re-enforcing/welds (claimed to be part of the GT500 "upgrade"), it is possible they compensated with the springs as it seems they have a mad suspension tuner running amok

b. does your sticker have the right wheel size?
Old 08-12-2006, 05:35 PM
howyhowy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt7er
I got my car with the stock 17's, put on my own 18's and now I can feel every pebble in the road. I wonder if I have a tighter car now than if I had ordered the stock 18's.
-howy
Old 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howyhowy
I got my car with the stock 17's, put on my own 18's and now I can feel every pebble in the road. I wonder if I have a tighter car now than if I had ordered the stock 18's.
That would seem to be the case indeed - though who keeps the stock springs? I thought those were just there for shipping - like bubble wrap

Quick Reply: 17 and 18 inch factory setup difference - i have the answer