Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine lowering mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default Engine lowering mounts

Did you guys with the Saleen S/C have to use the engine lowering mounts?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:29 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine lowering mounts

there is a really long thread about this if you use the search function. Most say no, that the Saleen will fit under the stock hood. But there is one guy on here with the marks to prove that it doesn't fit under his. There is also info if you decide to go with the lowering mounts. I think his name is CEIKIM or something, sorry for botching the name.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20
there is a really long thread about this if you use the search function. Most say no, that the Saleen will fit under the stock hood. But there is one guy on here with the marks to prove that it doesn't fit under his. There is also info if you decide to go with the lowering mounts. I think his name is CEIKIM or something, sorry for botching the name.
That's me...

There are 3 variations it seems - dependant on manufacturing tolerances (aka slop):
1. fits under the hood without hitting the firewall with tight but functional clearance
2. does not hit the hood but does hit the firewall
- sub variation of it clears until the first dyno pull (OUCH)
3. hits both (that's me...)

So, you might get lucky, you might not... Given that the install procedure is the same before and after the SC - the only compelling reasons to do them before would be:
1. more room to wiggle the unit in - It is a tight fit regardless
2. don't have to wait 3 days for shipping if once you get it in you find you need them
3. if someone else is installing for you, you don't have to go back and/or get a call from them saying you need them...

The mounts have pros and cons - they are stiff which is good and bad - good for holding the engine in place, bad for translating every wiggle of the engine into your seat (though some including me like that kinda thing...)
Old 08-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Thanx. I already have the engine lowering mounts. Maybe I'll do that step last to see if I need them.