Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Street Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Street Racing

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

Maybe I should cancel my order on my GT that's going to be ready in September...
Ya you should if you're so immature that you cant keep yourself from getting into a stupid situation. If you are mature then dont worry about it.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

OK, we all know that street racing is bad, dangerous, etc.; but what indication is there that any of the vehicles in that video were involved in street racing accidents versus a "regular" accident? I mean for crying out loud, there's even a Suburban in there! These look like a bunch of random crash photos thrown together into a video rather than actual street racing accidents.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

here's my take -

I grew up at the street races. Every weekend in my teens, and even weeknights after I graduated high school. In 10 years I saw ONE wreck. It was an 8 second Chevy Chevette, with nowhere near all the required safety gear. Yes, the driver was badly injured, has lots of pins in him now, and walks funny.
That being said, it was lots of fun until the ricers came around. They would line up and race 3,4,even 5 wide! They brought their gangs around. They brought alcohol and drugs and violence. Because of them, the laws were changed and it was made impossible to have races anymore.
Until that point, the races were a wonderful place. We were safe and stayed out of trouble. While other kids my age were drinking, doing drugs, and joining gangs i was having clean fun with my friends.
Accidents can and always will happen. It can happen with anything. I am a pilot. Showing me a video of a plane crash will not make me quit flying. That video is a reminder to be as safe as possible when we can and to know the risks. Here in Los Angeles there used to be over a dozen dragstrips. Now there are 2. Build some more if you want, bunt grass roots street racing is where motorsports came from.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

I'm on my thrid flying lesson at MarcAir in texas. If you ever see 7453RR flying around. That's prolly me.

I agree that everything was "mostly" clean for street racing, but then the gangs and **** moved in. I think it has mostly ruined the street scene.

An 8 second Chevette. wow.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:03 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

OK, we all know that street racing is bad, dangerous, etc.; but what indication is there that any of the vehicles in that video were involved in street racing accidents versus a "regular" accident? I mean for crying out loud, there's even a Suburban in there! These look like a bunch of random crash photos thrown together into a video rather than actual street racing accidents.

sorry to hijack but your stang looks glorious.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

I'm 17 and have yet to pass 60 (No lie)

I just go from 0 to the Speed limit quickly.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

After I got a ticket for racing in vegas 3 yrs ago I kept it on the track until I gave in and raced a supposedly boosted probe just to watch him almost slam into a truck pulling a ricer flyby. Totally reminded me why I refrain from street racing. Even rolling in a convoy of 5 stangs plus other fast cars we all pretty much refrained from racing over the road and saved it for the track.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

here's my take -

I grew up at the street races. Every weekend in my teens, and even weeknights after I graduated high school. In 10 years I saw ONE wreck.
I never say anything for fear of getting bashed, but back in the 70's & 80's I also was heavily involved in street racing. I went nearly weekend for probably 10 years myself. I didn't always participate, but I certainly did my share. In all of that time I saw one racing accident, and unfortunately I was in the car at the time (my brother was driving). He was drunk and decided to race a Firebird. He hit a curb and rolled the car. In this day and age people would be outraged at that behavior, but we were not as enlightened back in the 70's about drinking and driving. I saw one somewhat related accident where some drunk a-hole was trying to show off going past the hangout area and jumped the curb and took the front ends off of several nice cars. One was a GTO that had the hood up, the hood was untouched but the entire front of the car was stripped clean to the radiator! I don't know why street racing has suddenly become an "epidemic" as many politicians are saying, I mean if anything the cars were less safe back then because they had SOOOO much horsepower but lousy suspension and brakes. I don't mean to imply that just because we did it back then means it's OK to keep on doing it, there is danger involved and it puts innocent people at risk. But I'm a bit mystified as to why all of a sudden everyone is so gung-ho to stomp it out. Maybe it has to do with gang activities as mentioned above, I'm really naiive about gangs and admit it. I can't help but tihnk that the REAL problem is alcohol/ drugs and driving though.

During my 30 years of driving I've seen many accidents, quite a few that happened right in front of my eyes. Every one of them could be attributed to a driver being drunk or not paying attention. In short I just want to say let's stomp out drunk and stupid drivers!

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

sorry to hijack but your stang looks glorious.
Thank you, very kind of you
Old 08-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I have to admit I've done my share of street racing, but never in a dangerous situation. There is a last set of stoplights right where it turns into a highway. Always out there. Not in town with kids and traffic around.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

All I was trying to do was to raise the awareness of street racing and what COULD be the potential results of a street race. Go out and street race if you want. I have seen news footage off the result of someone street racing in the suburbs and city with someone getting killed. Take it for what you want. This is not intended to be a scare tacktic on my part, just some information.

Drive safe and live, race at the track and have fun, life is too short the way it is.

Quick Reply: Street Racing