Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 AM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

I realize there have been numerous posts on the two main tuners available for us Mustang owners, sorry for any redundency. I currently own the Predator, using the canned 91oct tune (highest octane available in AZ), with AEM brute force CAI, with some pinging evident in +4K rpm. I have read about some very good results with the SCT and the semi custom tunes (Brenspeed, bamachips). Here are my questions:

Does SCT require you to pull fuses/disconnect battery to flash a tune (Predator doesn't)?

Has anyone compared a semi-custom tune (brenspeed) vs. a dyno tune?

What is a typical price for a dyno tune?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:21 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?

don't HAVE to disconnect any fuses to tune with SCT, simply plug and play.

i think the 2nd question would really depend widely on where you get your dyno tune.

i've heard anywhere from $100-$300 for in house custom dyno tunes.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:37 PM
michael48985

how is the aem intake?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

This is a little off topic, but have you tried different brands of gas to eliminate the pinging?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Average dyno tuning is $150 hour. Brenspeed and evolution are 'okay' but certainly not the best tuner choices around. JDM for one will supply you a canned tune for the sct that will flat out outperform both brenspeed and evolution.

Reflashing requires nothing but plugging in the handlheld for predator and sct.

Any pinging at all is a very bad sign. I would flash it back to stock asap until you can get it back on the dyno. Could be just some bad gas but it's not worth your motor to take that chance. Could be something minor or major but I would reflash it back to stock for now until you know for sure. Do you have a dyno for your tune now? How was the a/f?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:42 PM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

I would try a different gas station as you might have gotten some bad gas. I am also running the exact same set-up: AEM Brute Force and the canned Predator 91 OCt tune and I have no detonation whatsoever. I am very happy with the performance gained from them both, I only wish that they would release the R29 update so that I can firm up my shift points. Good luck to ya!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:01 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

You cannot run cheap gas. Stick with one of the name brand fuels.

Richard
Old 08-21-2006, 02:20 AM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I have varied the places I have bought gas from, but all are name brand stations (Chevron, Mobil, Gulf), so I don't believe that is the issue and thanks to all for the feedback on the similarities between flashing using either SCT or predator.

In reply to michael48985: I really like the AEM CAI, although I don't have anything other than the stock airbox to compare it to. It gives the engine/muffler sound a very nice growl that isn't present with the stock airbox.

Once the weather cools a bit (mid Oct) I will pursue getting a custom tune and let you all know how the car does.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Average dyno tuning is $150 hour. Brenspeed and evolution are 'okay' but certainly not the best tuner choices around. JDM for one will supply you a canned tune for the sct that will flat out outperform both brenspeed and evolution.

Reflashing requires nothing but plugging in the handlheld for predator and sct.

Any pinging at all is a very bad sign. I would flash it back to stock asap until you can get it back on the dyno. Could be just some bad gas but it's not worth your motor to take that chance. Could be something minor or major but I would reflash it back to stock for now until you know for sure. Do you have a dyno for your tune now? How was the a/f?
How would u know if this 'JDM' would outperform brenspeed or evolution??? Have you had them both??? Have you seen a dyno comparison??? Are you selling this JDM stuff??

I speak from experience, i know for a fact the brenspeed, evolution, and bamachips tunes are ths Shizznit . . . i have never heard of this 'JDM' for our cars, and I honestly don't think it would outperform any of the three above.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

FWIW, Exxon 93oct ALWAYS pings for me with my 93 tune; the rest of the name brands dont. Even cheapo Walmart gas doesn't ping.

Quick Reply: SCT vs. Predator canned vs. custom tune?