Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

best first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:47 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default best first mod?

what first mod will give me the most seat of the pants feel? or is worth it the most?

slp loudmouths
4.30's/brenspeed 93 octane tune
JLT 2 CAI/Brenspeed tune

i want the car to feel faster, to scare the **** out of me when i jump on it. i've heard good things about gears, but plenty of bad things too. do they really make it feel a lot faster?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: best first mod?

Loudmouths (or other mufflers) will give you no HP gains. This is purely an aesthetic mod.

I would do the CAI + Tune first. The HP gains are solid, and you will be needing the tuner for various other mods that you might do in the future (such as gears, etc.)

4.30's are certainly going to give you some serious acceleration. However, I think to properly take advantage of gears that low you will need to do some suspension work, otherwise you'll just be spinning your tires and you won't be going anywhere.

My advice:

Step 1: CAI + Tune

Step 2: Lower control arms (+maybe some other suspension mods)

Step 3: Gears
Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Switch numbers 2 and 3 from crazyal's order for me.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

well i know about the exhaust and i know what the mods are in theory but like i guess my question is which one will i actually be the most satisfied with?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Skrappy
1st Gear Member

1. I think everyone here will recommend going with some form of tune first off and maybe combinig that with a CAI (you can still get good gains from your stock intake and a drop in K&N with a tune).

2. While I agree that 4.30 gears will be incredible for acceleration, try looking into a good quality lightened drive shaft. The savings over stock are substantial and you will see almost 15HP at the wheels, better acceleration and better gas mileage too.

After those mods, go in which ever direction you want. Maybe a short throw shifer...

Skrappy
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

It's hard to say what mods you would be most satisfied with without knowing exactly what you want.

For example, Loudmouths and 4.30s are very different mods. Obviously, if you goal is to have a car that sounds really mean, the 4.30s aren't going to help you.

Asthetic mods like mufflers, bodywork, and trim are pretty much "in the eye of the beholder" so I'm not going to comment on that stuff. But, with respect to power and acceleration:

Your #1 mod is definatley the tuner. It is worth good gains and you need it for other mods like CAI or gears, etc. Plus, it is also useful for troubleshooting and customizing settings. I think that everyone here is in agreement that this is your #1 mod.

Beyond that there are many variables. As I posted earlier, I am a big beliver in suspension. Yes, you can get a lot better acceleration with mods like gears or lightened driveshafts, or Longtubes and so forth...but what's the point, really? Bone stock this car has more power than it can consistently put to the ground. If you don't belive me, take your car out on the road, turn off TCS and hammer on the gas. Tire spin. I say make the most of the power you've already got before you go asking for too much more.

That being said, I think that if you want more acceleration you need to address traction first. There are a lot of ways to do this, but I think a great starting point is LCAs. They are inexpensive and simple to install. That's why I think you should do this as your #2 mod.

With the basics out of the way you can start doing other things. The lightweight driveshaft idea is a good one. It won't give you the same kind of oomph the 4.30s will, but then again it will also help save you gas. 4.30's are going to give you a serious kick in the pants (assuming you can get traction) but then again your mileage is going to go down. Which one is better for you? It depends on what you want.

If you want the more practical solution, then I agree with Skrappy--get the driveshaft. On the other hand, if you don't care about increased revs and a loss of mileage, then the 4.30s might be a better choice.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

i recommend C&L w/ XCal2 w/ brenspeed tune. . .

i was like [sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif] when i punched it after install . . .
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

+1
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I got the Evolution tune, and it was the same thing: seat of your pants acceleration.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
tdenton1138

+1

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

i recommend C&L w/ XCal2 w/ brenspeed tune. . .

i was like [sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif] when i punched it after install . . .

Quick Reply: best first mod?