Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Slop in drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:10 AM
CTGT2005
1st Gear Member

Default Slop in drivetrain?

I just bought this car used with 19k miles, so I am clueless if this is normal or not. I didnt notice it when I test drove the car as I drove it on the highway. Now that Ive taken it around town, at lower speeds Ill get a little bucking when I am steady on the throttle. Also, I need to feather the clutch a little more than I feel I should otherwise I get a bit of a grinding noise. Any time I upshift into second, especially under power. I hate to say it but it feels like some force is required, as with downshifting into first. The 2-3 and 3-4 switch are a breeze, but something about going between first and second requires much more force and generally forcing a car into gear isnt a good thing.

Now Ive read that the grinding noise is somewhat normal when the clutch is let out at to low an rpm, but that clunking when not shifted under acceleration or while downshifting doesnt seem right..
Old 08-31-2006, 12:31 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Slop in drivetrain?

This transmission is: a) noisy, and b) nitpicky when it comes to RPM matching, etc. Basically if you don't get it exactly right it the car will buck a little, and the tranny will make a clunk noise. I don't have problems going from 1st to 2nd, but I have noticed sometimes (usually when cold) that when I press the clutch in after being in 2nd gear at a low rpm, I will get this nice clunk like something was a little out of whack...but it's not consistent. Rev matching the gears has got to be pretty on the money for a smooth transition.

As for the bucking while steadily on the throttle, I may have noticed this as well, but only slightly. I've noticed that when the A/C clutch engages I can feel a little "bump" from the engine, and there have been other times when it just seems like something engaged, causing a slightly different load on the engine, which caused the anomaly.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 AM
CTGT2005
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Slop in drivetrain?

Thanks, I was kinda thinking that it was normal. All that is fine as I only get them ever so often when I am not paying attention. However the rough/hard transition into/out of first doesnt seem right. It doesnt seem terrible.... the car is very driveable but its just irritating. Also seems to get harder to shift as things get warmed up.