Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

Default RE: acceleration

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

ORIGINAL: 07GT

I just drove an 07 GT five speed at the dealership, punched it at 5mph in 1st gear and it wouldn't fry the tires either. I think some of it has to do with having 27 inch tires. You've got small cubic inches and a somewhat heavy car that makes its horsepower up high. I wouldn't worry about it if it accelerates fast.

ok -

i used to own a 2003 acura rsx-s that i supercharged and i could spin the wheels on that car all day long and i had 265whp, or about 300hp to the flywheel...similar to this car.

unfortunately, this car just won't spin the tires. unless i rev to over 4k in 1st gear, and pop the clutch (in which case they'll spin for a little bit), i can't spin the tires. not that i want to...i don't drive like that. but like amercan muscle 4.6gt i think something might be wrong with my car.

if i'm in 1st, or 2nd, and at say 3000 rpm, and i floor it...the car while accelerate fairly quickly but i will not spin the tires. and this is with TCS off and stock tires!! the only time i can spin the tires is by either dumping the clutch at high rpms in 1st gear, or flooring it during a tight corner, and even then it's only a chirp. this is just ridiculous! no matter what, the car just bogs and doesn't come alive until 4-5k rpm. maybe i'm wrong, but i think if i'm at 1000 rpm in 1st gear, and floor it, the tires should at least chirp or break loose at some time. with stock tires and tcs off...they should...right?

here's an experiment for those who do NOT have a tune:

start moving slowly in 1st gear, say at 5mph, and then floor it and take it up to redline. do your tires break loose at any time? mine don't. not even a chirp. i think something is wrong...what do you guys think?

maybe i'll try that recal and see what happens...
i got 17" tires...not 27"...

17" rims?
17" tire would uh, look a little funny
Old 09-04-2006, 12:51 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I have 275's on the rear and still get squirrely as hell with an auto tranny (stock diff). That is expected I suppose if the Roush s/c is really producing 415 HP (flywheel).

I have a question though. I used to have a 430 horse C5 Vette (modded) with Z06 305's that would barely spin the tires without the traction control on so I obviously left it off during launch. That was a no-brainer.

My Mustang gets a pretty good launch with the T/C on. Can the average person get a better launch with an auto tranny by feel vs the T/C without a buttload of practice? I realize I could figure this out at the track but I want opinions (hisory?) without doing that.

If the traction control is doing a perfect launch for me, I will let it.

By the way, there is no wheel hop, so I'm not sure suspension mods would help.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

the issue is

at idle speed, 1st gear, punching it, there is a considerable delay. its incredibly frustrating. thats my main complaint.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Remember that when you are "punching it" you are just pushing a sensor. Ford has programmed how the the computer will activate the throttle and surely they choose to do this in reasonable manner wouldn't you think? That's the beauty of fly by wire, they can regulate idiots like us! Big brother just has his hand on your shoulder. Feel safe.

By the way a supercharger will make spinning the wheels in just about any situaltion possible!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justastockmustang

Remember that when you are "punching it" you are just pushing a sensor. Ford has programmed how the the computer will activate the throttle and surely they choose to do this in reasonable manner wouldn't you think? That's the beauty of fly by wire, they can regulate idiots like us! Big brother just has his hand on your shoulder. Feel safe.

By the way a supercharger will make spinning the wheels in just about any situaltion possible!

screw big brother. big burnout FTW! seriously. i want it to respond like a regular throttle cable car; if not better. this is a musclecar. i don't want to be "regulated."
Old 09-04-2006, 02:42 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

ok -

i used to own a 2003 acura rsx-s that i supercharged and i could spin the wheels on that car all day long and i had 265whp, or about 300hp to the flywheel...similar to this car.

unfortunately, this car just won't spin the tires. unless i rev to over 4k in 1st gear, and pop the clutch (in which case they'll spin for a little bit), i can't spin the tires. not that i want to...i don't drive like that. but like amercan muscle 4.6gt i think something might be wrong with my car.

if i'm in 1st, or 2nd, and at say 3000 rpm, and i floor it...the car while accelerate fairly quickly but i will not spin the tires. and this is with TCS off and stock tires!! the only time i can spin the tires is by either dumping the clutch at high rpms in 1st gear, or flooring it during a tight corner, and even then it's only a chirp. this is just ridiculous! no matter what, the car just bogs and doesn't come alive until 4-5k rpm. maybe i'm wrong, but i think if i'm at 1000 rpm in 1st gear, and floor it, the tires should at least chirp or break loose at some time. with stock tires and tcs off...they should...right?

here's an experiment for those who do NOT have a tune:

start moving slowly in 1st gear, say at 5mph, and then floor it and take it up to redline. do your tires break loose at any time? mine don't. not even a chirp. i think something is wrong...what do you guys think?

maybe i'll try that recal and see what happens...
Your problem is comparing FWD to RWD. RWD has inherent traction while accelerating. FWD traction is inversely proportional to the rate of forward motion.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:12 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

JMO .. but something is wrong.. I have the 17" stock rims with stock pirelli rubber and a ( auto trans ).. when it was stock.. I could do a burn out no problem.. even a chirp in second .. now that I have 3.73 gears, I can smoke them tires anytime if I want ( yes from a dead stop.. NO power brake ) and the car will go side ways in second and a little in third ( might be the custom tune..?? ) but I have read and think it is true.. that all these cars are NOT all the same.. meaning some have better engines in them then others or something.. maybe the rear end..??.. but if you want to do burn outs.. get a set of FORD 3.73 or FORD 4.10 gears and you will light them tires up NO problem.. trust me.. and your MPG will not go down that much.. in fact.. mine went up in the city.. not much .. but a one or two.. depends on how I drive it..

BTW: Notice I said Ford gears.. no whine at all... and cost is the about the same.. also make sure you get a NEW pinion bearing .. better safe than sorry.. not that much $$$ either

JMO on this.. and fact about my car.. come on down to Cincinnati, Ohio and I will show you..!!!

Rex
Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

When I was bone stock, I could spin the tires all the way through first by just launching at 3000 rpm.

Now that I am mildly modified (a CAI/Tune and 255 tires) I can do the same at 2000-2500 rpm if I dump the clutch. Not that I really want to, but I can.

This was all with TCS off. Oh and the only time I've ever bogged the engine is if I'm launching low at like 1500 rpm.

I also agree with previous statements that RSX-S was loosing traction easier, because of the how a FWD reacts during weight transfer under accelerating vs RWD.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:25 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rex7010

JMO .. but something is wrong.. I have the 17" stock rims with stock pirelli rubber and a ( auto trans ).. when it was stock.. I could do a burn out no problem.. even a chirp in second .. now that I have 3.73 gears, I can smoke them tires anytime if I want ( yes from a dead stop.. NO power brake ) and the car will go side ways in second and a little in third ( might be the custom tune..?? ) but I have read and think it is true.. that all these cars are NOT all the same.. meaning some have better engines in them then others or something.. maybe the rear end..??.. but if you want to do burn outs.. get a set of FORD 3.73 or FORD 4.10 gears and you will light them tires up NO problem.. trust me.. and your MPG will not go down that much.. in fact.. mine went up in the city.. not much .. but a one or two.. depends on how I drive it..

BTW: Notice I said Ford gears.. no whine at all... and cost is the about the same.. also make sure you get a NEW pinion bearing .. better safe than sorry.. not that much $$$ either

JMO on this.. and fact about my car.. come on down to Cincinnati, Ohio and I will show you..!!!

Rex
Your not the first person I've heard say here that they could roast the rubber from 1st with an auto. I wonder what the difference in gearing is in 1st between the auto and the manual. Also some of us are using the 18" stockers that come with BFG's which are downright increadible.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

It's possible that the computer softened the tune during an extended period of unaggressive driving(Yes, it will do that!).
To reset the tune back to its original factory state, remove the battery's negative cable for 15 minutes, reconnect it, and see if that helps.

BTW, spinning is not winning. J/K
13.5 sec. in the 1/4 is a great time for your stock Mustang!

Quick Reply: acceleration