Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hard break in or break in by the book?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:10 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default hard break in or break in by the book?

which one is better?

read this first:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hard break in or break in by the book?

In my opinion:

The proper way to break in the engine is NOT to baby it (I have seen firsthand what this can do on motorcycle engines), but at the same time, don't "beat on it" either. I would drive it normally, vary the RPM, take a few runs up to high speed, etc. But don't flog on the car like you were competing in LeMans, and likewise don't drive it around like a grandma in a cadillac.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

If your drive it like you stole it, you'll have a broken down car and not a broke in car. Mechanics love people who tear up their cars. Kaching!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

In my opinion:

The proper way to break in the engine is NOT to baby it (I have seen firsthand what this can do on motorcycle engines), but at the same time, don't "beat on it" either. I would drive it normally, vary the RPM, take a few runs up to high speed, etc. But don't flog on the car like you were competing in LeMans, and likewise don't drive it around like a grandma in a cadillac.
+1
Old 09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

In my opinion:

+1
Another +1 !!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

+1

Did I take the +ing to far?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm glad I went WOT within the first 20 miles. I couldn't resist the urge to see how fast I could go from 0-90 on the interstate entrance ramp. After that I pretty much just varied it and didn't try and kill it.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:40 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

what can happen if you baby an engine?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

what can happen if you baby an engine?
A good possibility that the rings do not seat correctly which can lead to blow-by which reduces horsepower and can cause higher then normal oil consumption. Please note that is “possible” not a fact or guaranteed as it depends on someone’s definition of “babying”

The cylinder walls have hatch marks which are there solely to seat the rings in correctly. The hatch marks on the cylinder wall will wear off, generally within 500 miles or so, if you haven’t taken advantage of them to properly seat the rings you’re stuck with what you have unless you re-hone the block.

Driving it like you stole it, within the first few hundred miles, is one of the worst possible ways of “trying” to break in a car as it can cause potential damage that could cause major problems in the future, not good for the crank, cams, valves, or rings. If someone thinks its fine to drive it like you stole in within the first few hundred miles they will also think it just fine to stomp the peddle right after a cold start-up and leave it floored for 30 – 60 seconds while parked in the driveway. Some may not but its not really that much different in how your treating the motor and internal parts and the stresses your putting on those internal parts…

Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

hmmm...i agree with the stomp on it after cold startup...but i disagree.

i firmly believe hard-breakin or trial-by-fire is best. if **** breaks, 99% of the time you still have the warranty, so now is the time to break ****. plus you will seat those rings so damn good it's not even funny....

i dont see how driving it hard right away is any better/worse than driving it hard after 3000 miles...

Quick Reply: hard break in or break in by the book?