Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 PM
freakfactor

Default First Mods

I'm trying to come up with the money for the first mods I want to do on my new GT that I picked up last Friday. Here's a quote I got with the price for installation on the right. This is really straining my budget, looks like the total will be about $3400 when all is said and done and I was wondering if you thought this is the best use of the money. Thanks for any tips.

$265 for the C&L racers Cold Air...........$50
$479 Bassani catback.............................$75
$1275 Kooks LT and X-pipe w/cats.......$450
$599 For custom tune w/Predator or Xcal2
Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: First Mods

Or you can save up a few more weeks and walk away with a nice blower. Nothing says king of the road like the whine of a whipple or the unmistakeable sound of a turbo.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

ok First off, do not buy your CAI and tuner seperately. Either go with Evolution or Brenspeeds package deals, I think its like 550-650 depending on which one you get, plus you get three great tunes. I think evolution is having a sale on them right now.

Secondly, if you can't install a CAI and tune, then you should not be modding, period. Its so friggin easy.

And thirdly, as you will most likely get both of your exhaust mods done at once at the same place, I am sure they will charge you less to do both at the same time, those prices look like for each item seperately.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new Stang!

Well, save the $50 on the C&L install and do it yourself.

Kooks price is good & $450 for the install sounds great. I got quoted $600

Tune price seems good.

Not sure about the others.....
Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the stang! Like they said, you need no mechanical skill at all to install the C & L CAI. Definitely go with brenspeed for the SCT Xcal/C & L CAI package, its only like $600. Don't waste your money on a catback system, I would just go with the axleback. You can easily install the axlebacks yourself too if you have a jack. The kooks setup is one of the best out there. Nice choice !
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
freakfactor

Great, thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I can save some money and go with the C&L / X-Cal from brenspeed and install it myself, and also the Axleback. Then have them install the Kooks.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Forget the CAI, leave the stock airbox, get 4:10 gears and a good aftermarket tune. Save the bucks for a blower.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

if you pay for someone to install a CAI, your gonna kick yourself in the a$$ when he puts it on in 20 min and everything was common sense. . .

50 bucks down the drain. . . besides, you should just get a buddy to help you through it. . . don't pay anyone for it

CAI and Tune is best mod for the money, i got brenspeed, went from 13.8 to 13.2 in 1/4

can't beat that for 600 bucks
Old 09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Great, thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I can save some money and go with the C&L / X-Cal from brenspeed and install it myself, and also the Axleback. Then have them install the Kooks.
Exactly!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
freakfactor

Well I have to say I was bit by the bug and I'm looking at spending quite a bit more money now and getting the following:

Catback Exhaust
Kooks Longtube Headers
Saleen S/C
Steeda Short Throw
4.10 Gears
Custom Tune with Predator

I'm a little nervous about modding it this heavily since it is brand new, but I don't think I have a choice at this point... once I set my mind on something there is no turning back. I love my stock GT but I guess I love it so much I want to really treat it right. Funny thing is it will still look stock when I'm done so I think some people are going to be in for a surprise

Quick Reply: First Mods