Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

essential mods to making the stang FEEL more like a true, raw, old school musclecar

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default essential mods to making the stang FEEL more like a true, raw, old school musclecar

stiffer motor mounts..............more engine feel.
JBA axlebacks (WHICH ONES ARE LOUDER??)
custom tune
throttle body spacer.

better throttle response, more noise, more feel. any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: essential mods to making the stang FEEL more like a true, raw, old school musclecar

Here's my suggested list.

CAI and Tune
Exhaust: definatley louder mufflers, probably an H-pipe if you want the old school sound. Headers would be great too.
Stiffer motor mounts
Stiffer shifter mount or aftermarket shifter
Old-school shifter handle, like a round ball (8-ball maybe?) or a T-handle
Stiffer suspension parts, for both the road feel and better traction

Old 09-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: essential mods to making the stang FEEL more like a true, raw, old school musclecar

An aggressive cam will give it the old school feel. The trick is making it work with the computer. I saw a video awhile back of a mustang with BBR cams that SOUNDED real good. Apparently they don’t make any more power, but they did sound good. (I'm not recommending you buy anything from BBR)
Old 09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Here's my suggested list.

CAI and Tune
Exhaust: definatley louder mufflers, probably an H-pipe if you want the old school sound. Headers would be great too.
Stiffer motor mounts
Stiffer shifter mount or aftermarket shifter
Old-school shifter handle, like a round ball (8-ball maybe?) or a T-handle
Stiffer suspension parts, for both the road feel and better traction

+1 to all of that except the motor mounts. I would suggest a K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters instead of the motor mounts. It is easier to install, same price, and you get free K member bracing.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

If you want old school, put on some 15 inch wheels with F60 white letter non-radial tires. LOL
Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

If you want old school, put on some 15 inch wheels with F60 white letter non-radial tires. LOL
You beat me to it, but I was going to suggest 70's on 14" rims, LOL! And see if you can get ahold of some shocks that have about 120k miles on them, that should accurately mimic the suspension of a 70's muscelcar when it was new Also get a big sloppy shifter with an arm about 2' long, toss some glasspacks on there, take all the speakers out and install one paper speaker in the back package shelf, put a HUGE steering wheel in, and disconnect your power steering hoses. Now you're talking vintage musclecar Hey, I had them and I loved them, I'm not making fun of them at all. But it sure is nice to have all the personality of the old musclecars in a new package that also handles well, doesn't overheat, drives like a dream through the twisties and has A/C Long live the new Mustangs!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Don't forget the carburetor with a stuck choke heater and an acceleration pump that is worn out to drive you nuts in cold weather or when you romp it at the light, it sputters and farts and then goes!

Yep I remember them too!!!

Mike
Old 09-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ALWAYS carry a matchbook so you can gap the points correctly...
Old 09-10-2006, 11:48 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

You can always keep a velcro-on cigarette i the rolled up sleeve patch.. to give you that vintage bad-boy with the stang look.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

ALWAYS carry a matchbook so you can gap the points correctly...
Or an allen wrench.

Quick Reply: essential mods to making the stang FEEL more like a true, raw, old school musclecar