Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Blue Smoke on Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Default Blue Smoke on Cold Start

[:'(]Several people on this forum (including me) are experiencing a cloud of blue smoke subsequent to a cold start or in instances where the engine was started, stopped and restarted prior to reaching operating temperature. I am trying to understand how many owners are experiencing this issue. My local dealer says I am the only 4.6 3V owner that has reported this problem. Nonetheless, I am not willing to accept an '06 MY car car belching smoke with only 2K miles on it.

Feedback? Dealer experience anyone?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Blue Smoke on Cold Start

Blue Smoke is typically indicative of burnt oil. It can mean alot of different things, from piston blow by, valve stem seal problems, broken/worn piston rings, etc. If its just at startup, and never while running, I would just guess oil isnt circulating properly.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

Hey man, right about 2 thousand miles is when mine started to do the same thing too. I took video shots of it just in case the dealer wanted to give me crap about it (which they did). I even got a free insult about it during the process from the owner of the dealership. He said that if I expected perfection out of a motor, then I should have spent 250,000 dollars and I shouldn't gripe out a 30,000 dollar car smoking. Oh, did I say that the field service rep "tagged" the VIN saying that it was normal and that there was nothing that any dealer was GOING to do about it.

Needless to say there was something wrong. Now I'm not saying that this is what is wrong with yours, but mine turned out to be a vaccum leak. After I fixed the vaccum leak, it NEVER smoked again and still hasn't to this day with 5500 miles.

Your not the only one, there was another Mustang GT in shop at the same time that mine was there with the same problem.
Again, I can't say that this is a fix-all, but it fixed mine. Stupid field service rep!!!!!!
P.M me if you want me to tell you exactly what I did to fix it.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
LimeTime
1st Gear Member

4.6's are all guilty of doing this. These motors create tremendous amounts of oil pressure, after shut down the oil in the heads seeps down into the cylinders, a blamo on fire up....blue smoke.

Nothing to be concerned about.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 PM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

Hey man, with all do respect, it's not normal for the 4.6 to blow blue smoke like my GT was doing. I've had MANY 4.6's in the past and none of them blew blue smoke. Even the 03 Lincoln TownCar didn't do this nor does it do it now and it has 150,000 miles on the clock.

ORIGINAL: LimeTime

4.6's are all guilty of doing this. These motors create tremendous amounts of oil pressure, after shut down the oil in the heads seeps down into the cylinders, a blamo on fire up....blue smoke.

Nothing to be concerned about.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

If they sit for a while like a few days it is very normal for them to smoke just a bit at first start up. My Lightning (5.4) did the same thing and many other Lightning’s (5.4) did.

As was mentioned a minute amount of oil can and usually will leak past the values when the vehicle sits for a while, like a few days. The reason it was normal on my Lightning and many others was because mine, and many of the others that had the problem, didn’t use them as our daily drivers.

My Mustang is not a daily driver either. However if I drive it on Saturday and then again on Sunday I never notice any smoke on start up on Sunday and basically that’s because it didn’t sit long from the last time I drove it…

You really only need to be concerned if it continue to smoke after a good 5 to 10 minutes of warm up if its sat for a while, and of course if it continues to smoke while running you have a problem. A little smoke on start up is nothing to worry about and nothing they can really fix…
Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Well mine does this but only in the winter time or very cold start ups. The explanation I got was that the loop opens for about 3 minutes on our fuel injection systems until it is warmed up and then closes. During this process the car dumps a little more fuel in for an easier start on those cold mornings. If this is true or not I'm not sure, seeing as I'm not a mechanic. The puff of blue smoke only last for about 10 seconds I guess and then its gone and I have never noticed it during running after that initial start up. It has also never done it during the summer time. The smoke is just from that extra bit of fuel being dumped in. If I'm wrong and there is another explanation I'm all for it. Just my 2 pennies
Old 09-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I only have expierenced it once so far (5600K) it was after the car sat outside for couple of days and it colder than usual. Started it up and a puff of blue smoke. Thats the only time i have expierenced it so far. I agree with 06 Black Beauty's explanation.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/A53437E5F92C4FC28E60C6CDEDE74BA1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

Well mine does this but only in the winter time or very cold start ups. The explanation I got was that the loop opens for about 3 minutes on our fuel injection systems until it is warmed up and then closes. During this process the car dumps a little more fuel in for an easier start on those cold mornings. If this is true or not I'm not sure, seeing as I'm not a mechanic. The puff of blue smoke only last for about 10 seconds I guess and then its gone and I have never noticed it during running after that initial start up. It has also never done it during the summer time. The smoke is just from that extra bit of fuel being dumped in. If I'm wrong and there is another explanation I'm all for it. Just my 2 pennies
The "smoke" you see on cold mornings is actually steam. Water that accumulates in the exhaust is turned to steam on cold mornings just like when you exhale and you can see your breath.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Mine(15K miles) has been doing the same thing since I bought it brand new. But it smokes during start up only if it was shut down after running for less than a minute in warm weather or less than 2 minutes in cold weather on the previous start, and at least 12 hours has passed between starts.
My '94 Ford Probe GT(Mazda 2.5L engine) did the same thing under the same circumstances for the 70K miles that I owned it, and I never had any engine problems with it.
Also, it's definitely burning oil that's causing the smoke, and not steam from the combustion process. If it were steam, then you would not be able to see it in hot weather.

No need to worry.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke on Cold Start