Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

attn all SC'ed mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

Default attn all SC'ed mustangs

I have been thinking about getting the Saleen SC installed on my 06 GT. Jim from JDM told me that they would install there Stage 2 kit with there own tune and it would have 450rwhp, wow! My question is...what is it like driving these cars supercharged? I think my stock gt it fast now...but sc'ed must be nuts.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: attn all SC'ed mustangs

I've had mine in for a couple weeks or so and it is a different car now. The way the boost kicks in when you hit about 2500 rpm or higher is awesome! Sometimes I squeal my tires from a stop sign without meaning to lol. I can be going 50mph, slam the gas to the floor and still take off like a rocket and get pushed in the seat and chirp the tires. They are alot of money, but they are alot of fun. I had some Chevy SS toying with me on the highway yesterday. He had a fast car, but not fast enough lol. I don't know if he reached his speed limiter, but he kept getting farther behind.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Kenne Bell supercharger, intercolled, 2.6L twin screw. Not to bad mouth the Saleen SC, 'cause it's been around and proven itself, but the KB has a reputation of being the best on the market when it comes to delivering HP across the entire RPM range. Boost kicks in immediately, as opposed to at a higher RPM. It's performance is very impressive. It will take you to 460 rwhp minimum, with no other mods. check it out at http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...gt05-06_3v.htm

Mine is on order and will be installed in two weeks.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:18 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Kenne Bell supercharger, intercolled, 2.6L twin screw. Not to bad mouth the Saleen SC, 'cause it's been around and proven itself, but the KB has a reputation of being the best on the market when it comes to delivering HP across the entire RPM range. Boost kicks in immediately, as opposed to at a higher RPM. It's performance is very impressive. It will take you to 460 rwhp minimum, with no other mods. check it out at http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...gt05-06_3v.htm
Not to badmouth the KB but when the boost kicks in between the KB and the Saleen is not a function of design...

Both are designed with a bypass system that keeps the boost low/off until you put the engine under "load". So, that is not a distinguishing feature between them...

Also bear in mind that "460RWHP minimum" is about the maximum that you want to do before building the engine and the KB, like the Saleen requires fuel pump "enhancement" of one form or the other to handle this level of power... The KB is going to require pulleys and some tuning to get up to 460RWHP just like the Saleen. Not that both cannot get up there and beyond, but out of the box that is somewhat optimistic....

P.S - to the original post - a SC makes this car live up to the mythology around it... It now exceeds the unrealistic expectations people have in their minds from "the old days". Which of course were more about the old muscle cars feeling out of control at 45MPH (lousy tires, lousy suspension) than they were about actually being fast... Well worth it if you have the cash (which includes the cash for repairing the parts you just took out of warranty as well!).
Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Not just optimistic...fact. Seen in on the DYNO on a 2006 GT, otherwise stock engine. also, the Saleen SC is noisy [:'(], and sounds like rocks in the engine. KB is quiet and smooth.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT
Not just optimistic...fact. Seen in on the DYNO on a 2006 GT, otherwise stock engine.
With an 8PSI pulley, cold plugs, boost-a-pump and/or GT500 pumps - KB is around 450RWHP (+/- dyno error). I see they are now selling that as the default kit advertising "445RWHP".

Do the same to a Saleen and you get the same result. As for noise - some are louder than others (no rock crunching here), but the Saleen is quieter under load than the KB which some people like and some poeple don't...

The usual Saleen/KB argument boils down to their provided tune and "top-end" (though that top-end requires lots of other mods anyway - so it is moot until you are ready to replace/rebuild the trans and build-up the engine).

I was constrained by CARB approval at the time as well, were it not for that, I am not sure which-way I would have gone - the KB is a nice blower, no question...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM
kalel001
2nd Gear Member

You can get 470hp with a Vortech High Output S/C.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

Hows the fuel milage with a supercharger?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:21 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

My mileage rox. I get mid to high 20s on the highway at 80 with the AC on. Inner city is in the high teens to low 20s just depending on how many lights I practice launching at. And that is with more than 450 to the wheels.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I don't know why he has to get in here and knock Saleen. Me and alot of other people are very happy with ours. There is no "rocks in the engine noise". Mine has a very neat whine when I get into it. I like Kenne Bell too, but I had to choose one or the other.

Quick Reply: attn all SC'ed mustangs