Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questionable tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

Default Questionable tuner!

I just bought my mustang in June 06' and I was lookin into CAI and exhaust mods, maybe gears down the line. My main question is about the SCT Xcalibrator tuner. I got a buddy(he got a terminator) that swears tuning yer engine could lead to serious problems when messing with the timing, A/F ratios and such, so then i lean towards the K&N CAI(which doesn't require a tune). A tune does seem to offer more horsepower, therefore I am also interested in the C&L CAI and tuner combo, but my buddy has totally got me worried bout it....

so my question is, has anyone had problems with their tune, 91 or 93? How long has everyone had their tune and CAI installed with no problems?

I not really that car savvy, i guess thats why im asking.... thanks...
Old 09-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Questionable tuner!

listen dude. . . you won't have any problems with a properly tuned engine, cuz that's what it is STOCK!!! properly tuned!!!

I've had my 93 octane tune from brenspeed for about 4 months now. . . not the slightest problem

go for it dude, if you have any problems, brent can fix it. . . don't worry about it,

if your terminator buddy is stock, he better hope he can drive when you start moddin your car. . . look out!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:55 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Mine has had a C&L CAI and a Predator 93 octane tune installed since 6/2005 without a problem.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:34 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Been running the Tunable Induction with 91 octane from Brenspeed and no issues (except that shortly after my battery died). But it was a bad battery, got a new one and all is well.

FWIW, My car sat with no battery for a week + until I got a replacement, and I did not need to re-flash the computer with the Brenspeed tune.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:36 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

C & L CAI +SCT Xcal 2 (91 octane) from Brenspeed since July. No problems for me whatsoever. HOWEVER, I have been a PROBLEM for other cars.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

thx for the input guys.... CAI and tune, here i come!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Which company are you going to go with?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

It looks like I am goin with the brenspeed CAI and tuner combo since it comes preloaded with all the tunes... Then ill pop the 91 tune (since thats all us californians can get) and zoom zoom zoom..... 675$ is a lil intimidating, there anywhere i can find that combo cheaper?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

I think Evolution performance offers it a bit cheaper. $625 if I am correct. It is just your personal preference, we have debated time and time again on these forums about which tuner is better. I would HIGHLY recommend Brenspeed though, as would a lot of other people.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: therobman7

I got a buddy(he got a terminator) that swears tuning yer engine could lead to serious problems when messing with the timing, A/F ratios and such
Well here's the other side of it, seeing as how everyone else has taken the "it's completely safe" side :

Yes, it "could lead to serious problems when messing with the timing, A/F ratios and such". Most definitely, if you mess around with that stuff willie-nillie, you'll blow something up. That said, Brenspeed and Evolution have tunes on lots of these cars (as you can tell by the responses), and where I'm sure a handful have had issues, the majority are probably completely utterly satisfied with the increased response, HP, etc. I can't perconally comment on this because I am still hating the thought of voiding my warranty (even though everyone will tell you it won't, but...I have crappy luck and have heard some people's horror stories...search for 'warranty' and I'm sure you'll find some). Anyway, your friend is absolutely right, but...a lot of folks trust these guys (and others) with their car's tune, and as long as you don't go mucking around yourself (unless you know what your doing), then you'll probably be fine.

Yeah, I probably sound like an overcautious momma's boy to all you hardcore Mustang fellas out there who put the tune, SC, etc, etc on before your break-in period was up Different strokes for different folks!

Quick Reply: Questionable tuner!