Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:21 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake Problems

Yesterday I raced a M3 for a long period of time in the highway and I had to stop racing because my front brakes where failing. I was very worried, is this normal??? What upgrade can I do to the brakes and not spend more than $600 I dont have that much $. Thank You
Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 AM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake Problems

For 600 i would just get some ss brake lines, and upgraded pads, see how that works. Should cust under 300 for all that
Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Good advice!

If that's not enough, I'd look into doing a disc and caliper upgrade using parts from the GT500 Shelby.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

What kinda of racing? Were you constantly braking from high speeds? If so you might just attribute that to brake fade. It happens to all brakes at some point, but larger brake setups are less suceptible since they have more heat capacity due to more rotor area and usually better heat dissipation through cross-drilling.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:00 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeap I was constantly speeding and braking. For a about 5 to 10 minutes. They told me to buy drilled rotors change my pads and brake lines. Is this ok?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Personally I prefer slotted rotors over cross-drilled rotors seeing how cross-drilled rotors are prone to cracking but that would help your problem. But brake fade is not exactly brake failure, just something that happens as your brakes get hotter and gases build up between the rotor and brake pads reducing your braking ability. Breenspeed sells a stoptech brake upgrade kit that looks pretty attractive for the money and covers all the basics.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the pads and lines.

I've only driven on one set of cross-drilled rotors and they might have been out of tolerance but they had developed a couple cracks after about 4 driving sessions (not my car so I don't have any info beyond that).

I am not inclined to do too much testing on the rotors so I'll let others recommend there, but I have heard the lean is slotted vs cross-drilled.

I have tried just about every brake pad out there for our car in both street and track conditions:

The stock pads lasted 6 months of driving and a 2 day driving event but then they did fade quite a bit at the end and then were gone fast - actually not bad I would think for stock pads.

The Hawk pads are very good but I am a little under-joyed with the ceramics as time has gone on verses the hype (they dust a lot more than I was led to believe - I've re-bedded and they still dust a lot). They do grab well and I have not felt any fade...this is the only pad that I have not tried on the track though.

THe HPS+ are a good track pad and the HPS have a better bite than stock.

I ran the EBC reds and greens on the track and even the greens held up - ran one set for ten 30 minutes sessions over two days and they were still quite streetable and had lots of bite left. The EBCs are quite dusty but I probably will switch back to the greens for daily driving over the Hawk pads.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

I dont know if this is fading but what happened was that the front wheels and the streering where trembling so hard and it didnt want to stop. Sorry for this Im a newbie.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:08 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Hmm....could be a number of things...flat spot on the tire (though you'd notice that other times), uneven wear on the pads or possibly a warped rotor.

Unless someone has a better idea (and I can bet you $ they do ,pPull the pads off and have a look at them and then inspect the rotor.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

The cheapest solution is not to race. Duh.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems