Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long trip in my GT auto!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 AM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

Default Long trip in my GT auto!!

Hello, All!!
I just returned from a trip from Orange County, California, to Monterey, CA. about 370 miles one way!
We have a 2006 GT convertible with the auto trans, and it has just 5000 miles on the clock.
We left at 3:30 am, to avoid L. A. traffic, and I decided to keep it around 75 MPH to help break-in, and also to see what kind of mileage I could achieve...Here's what I found out on the trip:
First, this thing has TORQUE!! I cruised right up the steepest hills of the Grapevine with the cruise control set at 77MPH. The car took the hills easily at 2200RPM, in top gear! The auto trans didn't even downshift, just a steady pull up the hills. The other cars around me at the bottom of the hill fell back quickly. After about a minute, I could see no headlights in my mirrors!! Great fun!
Second, the cruise control worked great! I did the whole trip resting my right foot! I used the steering wheel buttons to correct my speed for conditions, and when a fast pass was needed, a light push on the throttle would bring a downshift to 4th, and 100MPH would be mine in seconds, all very effortless! I recommend using the cruise on a long trip because even in the convertible, 100MPH felt serene.
Third, the headlights are wonderful! I cruised with lows and fogs on (yes, i did get flashed occasionally) and the wide beam saved me from hitting a coyote at 77MPH which ran onto the road, I could see him well before he touched the pavement! The high beams were bright enough, but I prefered the wide angle of the fog lights at night. BTW, the high-speed stability was also very good. I had to swerve so hard at one point (road debris) that I woke up my 3 sleeping passengers! They were slightly paniked, but I was never out of control.
Forth, it's always the 4-cyl camrys, altimas, and sentras that go 90-plus MPH at night, WAY over thier heads!!
Fifth, I LOVE the on board computer!!!! I got 23 MPG average for the trip, on mid-grade gas (I have trouble trusting regular grade fuel, it is the cash-cow for the oil companies, and I have no doubt that it is chemically stretched to go as far as possible!!) and it was easy to use at night, along with all other controls in the cockpit, a really well engineered interior.
To sum up, it was a fun, relaxing trip! The few close calls I had convinced me that a high performance car is much safer to travel in than a stripped, small tire'd gas-mileage champion! When I am driving my wife and two sleeping girls, it's reassuring to drive a car that won't fold under pressure!
CB
PS, Our car is stock, we drove with the top up, and the hood did flutter a bit over 80MPH!

Old 10-03-2006, 03:35 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long trip in my GT auto!!

Better than a mini-van right?
I'm glad your trip went smoothly and safe. Get a CAI and a tune and you would easily obtain 25+ MPG's even with your auto tranny. What did you come down to Orange County for?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:22 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Awesome..thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

RCT,
Actually, I live in Orange County, and my neice had a wedding in Monterey.
I never thought of the MPG argument for getting a CAI!!
CB
Old 10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

I'm assuming you drove up HWY1, that is a fantastic drive period. I haven't been able to make in my Stang yet.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

We took the 5, to the 46, to the 101, and then the 1!
We are going again in November, CAN'T WAIT!!!
CB
Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

Actually premium gas has the highest profit margin for the oil companies.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: legendlime

RCT,
Actually, I live in Orange County, and my neice had a wedding in Monterey.
I never thought of the MPG argument for getting a CAI!!
CB
Nice! What part are you from? I'm in Cypress.

As for the CAI you could always tell the wife, "But hunny with gas prices I need to do everything I can to help it out."
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, the 'Stangs have a nice ride. When I first got my Mustang, I had to take a long trip and put about 500 miles on it. Totally enjoyable...except for the traffic, of course.

...wait...did you say you had THREE other people in the car with you? What, were they midgets? Or were some of the chicks "piled up"?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I would love to take a long trip in my Stang. I've driven it all day before and never got uncomfortable. I never thought a vehicle could be such a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Long trip in my GT auto!!