Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run-in with local law enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
NVR4GIT

Default RE: Run-in with local law enforcement

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: swensicle

I respect what these guys do very much and have never been "lippy" with one that has pulled me over. Anyway, I roll back to work this afternoon and I get a call on my cell shortly after sitting down at my desk. Hi, this is officer blah blah blah and I received a call that you were driving recklessly.

A guy had pulled out in front of me and so at the next light a nailed it to get in front of him and had very minor squealage. Apparently the combination of that and my loud exhaust deemed it enough reason for him to call the cops. Also, the cop says he lives near where I work and he had seen me yesterday doing something similar.

"If I ever catch you doing this stuff again you'll be going to court.....blah blah blah blah blah"

I guess that's what we deserve for driving mustangs....if it was a grand prix like everyone else it would have been no problem.

The funny part is I think I could have snapped this cop like a twig. He must have been barely pushing a buck twenty.

- - Regardless, I know I was speeding and admitted it right away.....am I the only one?
Um...ask yourself this question....how did he get your number #1?

someone was pranking you or knew who you were and decided to call you and scare/indimidate you. Next time the bitch calls, ask him for his name and badge number. I guarantee they'll either hang up on you or give you bogus info.
That is the first thing I thought.....how did he get the number? Doh!
In this day and age, it's not hard to get phone numbers. Cell numbers are a little more difficult, but it still is obtainable. Especially if you have had contact with the particular police department before. Nearly everyone has paperless systems these days. So, plug in a name, if you ever talked to the police before and given them your phone number, we'll have it. That doesn't include the internet services that you can get it from.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

People, please don’t sweat it as there is NOTHING an officer can do unless they actually witness the situation. There is absolutely NOTHING a private citizen can do regardless if they witness the situation either unless they have video showing the situation AND your license plate AND you in the vehicle.
There is no way you can be any more wrong than what you have spouted here, there dudley.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I guess after twenty six years as an officer, I don't know what I am talking about here.

In Maryland, a person with a complaint has the option to go to a court commissioner and swear out a complaint against another driver (IF that person has proof that they know exactly who was driving at the time). A traffic summons COULD be issued if the court commissioner feels that an offense occurred and then the driver would be served at a later time. A court date would appear on that document and the driver would be required to appear before a judge in traffic court.

It is RARELY done, as it would clog up the traffic court. Most people that witness driving that upsets them call and request that the officer talk to the driver and warn him. No record is sent to MOTOR VEHICLE and the issue is done at the moment the phone is hung up.

Many of the dispatchers for the police can talk to the complaintant and calm that person and eliminate the need for police action. Bottom line, most people do NOT want to take the time to appear in court. That is why 99 percent of these complaints are handled over the phone with NO resulting enforcement.
My father is an attorney and I am working on it. You seem to leave out the fact that unless they have proof of what happened... 99.9% of these cases are thrown the hell out of the judges court.
ESPECIALLY when an officer does not show up to back up the persons story. Even if the officer is there you usually win because the officer was not at the actual scene.
These disputes are easy to counter by making up exuses such as.. "This person and I don't get along and they have it in for me." or similar claims.
Fact is.. unless its on tape or is done infront of multiple witnesses.. you can rest assure that MOST of the time you will come out on top.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wrong here. I reported an ******* driver once and the state patrol issued a careless driving ticket (12 pts) based soley on my report and the guy was convicted
How do you know the guy was convicted? Unless he told you?
Maybe he did'nt fight the ticket. If so and he lost... that is a rare thing.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Here in Florida I called the cops on some Ahole that was tossing trash out their windows in my neighborhood. I don't mean just their ashtray, I mean every spec of paper and cup, bottle in their SUV. I gave the operator their plate number and stayed on the phone for 5 minutes while I followed the loser. I never did see a cop show up and no one contacted me. I guess crime against the environment isn't important enough to go to court.

If someone does get a ticket for wreckless driving because somebody said they saw you do it I would get yourself a lawyer. It shouldn't cost much more than the ticket would be if any and even a bad lawyer should be able to beat a case of he said she said!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

You calling the police and telling them that you saw someone doing something illegal would be hearsay...and it wouldnt hold up in court. Otherwise, anyone who didnt like a given person, could simply call the local authorities and say "i saw so and so weaving in and out of traffic while street racing" and that would get the person in trouble.

Without any proof, your hearsay tattling wont hold up in court...and before you waste my time arguing with me, find me a court case to prove me wrong. I will accept anything where someone has been convicted of a crime without ANY proof, other than a civilian calling in and claiming that he or she saw something.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Booster

ORIGINAL: swensicle

I guess that's what we deserve for driving mustangs....if it was a grand prix like everyone else it would have been no problem.

The funny part is I think I could have snapped this cop like a twig. He must have been barely pushing a buck twenty.

- - Regardless, I know I was speeding and admitted it right away.....am I the only one?
1. Nothing to do with Mustangs. Everything to do with the way you drive. That's all.

2. If you never saw him, how do you know what he weighs? Cops may not be the biggest on the block, but they have training and equipment that makes up for their lack of size.
1. It has a lot to do with the car. Especially if its modded and you have exhaust. In my experience it had less to do with my driving and more to do with the car. I even got pulled over for goin 5 under. Then the cop proceeded to give me TWO tickets equaling 6 points, 1 was for my airfreshener (no bigger than 2") and for my tint on the side windows (which is light enough to see into at night). Now tell me that had to do with my driving.
2. Obviously you dont read well. The cop called em from the parking lot, and he went outside to talk to him.

And as far as someone calling the police on you and you getting a reckless or careless driving ticket, I will also call BS. I used to drive EVERYTHING like I stole it, and I have had the police called on me LOTS of times, when the cops would come up and try to harrass me for speeding, etc. My first question was 'How fast was I going?', most of the time their answer was that someone called them on me. Even then they CANT prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I was breaking any laws whatsoever. Heresay isnt compelling evidence in this state. Because, is this person some how magically certified to judge speed? And if youre getting going from a dead stop and you accelerate harder than everyone else, and they call, would they be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you actually exceeded the speed limit. I think not. If I got cited for something like that because a citizen called, I sure as hell would fight it tooth and nail.
-P.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: iluvmycar

I was there at court. He fought it (with his attorney). He lost. Tilt - Game Over. I'm amazed how many 达德利 will listen to other 达德利 on a forum that don't know anything about what they're talking about.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Booster

ORIGINAL: iluvmycar

I was there at court. He fought it (with his attorney). He lost. Tilt - Game Over. I'm amazed how many 达德利 will listen to other 达德利 on a forum that don't know anything about what they're talking about.
so you had the time to go through all that? Either the guy was really endangering other people, you didn't like the guy, or you are really a tool.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

Without any proof, your hearsay tattling wont hold up in court...and before you waste my time arguing with me, find me a court case to prove me wrong. I will accept anything where someone has been convicted of a crime without ANY proof, other than a civilian calling in and claiming that he or she saw something.
Legal Education of the day for 达德利: When you testify in court it's no longer hearsay. Citations can be issued based upon "reasonable" belief (51% threshold). Conviction is from "Beyond a reasonable doubt" (90% threshold). That'll be $200.00 please.

Quick Reply: Run-in with local law enforcement