Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Royal Purple or RedLIne??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:28 PM
IcIbanez661

Default Royal Purple or RedLIne??

Hey all. I want to change out the oil, tranny (auto) and rear end fluids in my 06 GT. I have been doing research on the internet and lurking around various forums about synthetic oils. I deided to go with either Royal Purple or RedLine. I'm looking for real world experience with these products and what you would recommend.

-Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Royal Purple or RedLIne??

Either one will be fine......Amsoil is great also. I use Royal Purple personally.....but it's just because it's what I've always used and had good luck.
fishhead

I've used both for other cars in manual trannys. You really can't go wrong as they are both great products. That being said, I've always used redline mt-90 before. Just my pers. preferrence.
Archion
4th Gear Member

Go with the Royal Purple, Red Line Is not like it used to be. After ending up with a $10k piece of molten metal in the circle track car when they sponsored us, We will never use another Red Line product.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
ttribe
1st Gear Member

I used royal purple for a while in my turbo car. Changing the oil at 3k increments, it came out like water. I could put 20w50 in it and it would look like 0w20 when i drained it 3k miles later. I dont like that. Not just one oil change, was like 3 in a row. Mobil1 did not do that. I am going to try Redline D4 ATF in my stang, i have it, but waiting until 1k miles or so to change it.

FWIW i sell royal purple, and I pay more to buy mobil1 or redline for my own cars.

Being that I sell Royal Purple, I have experienced their own demonstrations with "load bearing" tests and what not. They would compare their products results against castrol gtx and other standard motor oils and a FEW low end synthetics.... I asked why they dont test and show us the difference between mobil1 synthetic or Redline and he got mad at me for asking.... this was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
IcIbanez661

ORIGINAL: ttribe

I used royal purple for a while in my turbo car. Changing the oil at 3k increments, it came out like water. I could put 20w50 in it and it would look like 0w20 when i drained it 3k miles later. I dont like that. Not just one oil change, was like 3 in a row. Mobil1 did not do that. I am going to try Redline D4 ATF in my stang, i have it, but waiting until 1k miles or so to change it.

FWIW i sell royal purple, and I pay more to buy mobil1 or redline for my own cars.

Being that I sell Royal Purple, I have experienced their own demonstrations with "load bearing" tests and what not. They would compare their products results against castrol gtx and other standard motor oils and a FEW low end synthetics.... I asked why they dont test and show us the difference between mobil1 synthetic or Redline and he got mad at me for asking.... this was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Thanks for the honesty, especially being that you are a RP dealer.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:12 PM
IcIbanez661

ORIGINAL: Archion

Go with the Royal Purple, Red Line Is not like it used to be. After ending up with a $10k piece of molten metal in the circle track car when they sponsored us, We will never use another Red Line product.
Wow, sorry to hear about your car. I would feel the same way too after an experience like this. Experiences will vary I guess, both good and bad.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttribe

No offense....but I've heard the exact same story from supposed dealers of Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line, Castro, etc. All of these lubricant companies are going to do comparison testing against inferior products to make it seem like they are superior by far. Independant testing is the only fair comparison and in those tests the different products are all too close to call. They all have to meet the same performance specs and all will be fine 99.99% of the time. There are always situations of engines burning up because of ______ oil product.......and most cases the event had a completely different cause.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
ttribe
1st Gear Member

No offense taken.

I used to sell NOS and NX .... NX would show you exactly why their nozzles were better than their leading competitor. Same with alot of various venders for any types of accessories I have sold in the past. I appreciate a company that is willing to "back it up" when they say their product is the best. Royal Purple did not do that. The fact that the RP rep got mad when I asked him just tipped the bucket. I sell RP. I sell ALOT of it ... up to 50 cases a month. So obviously alot of people are happy with it .... or happy with what they have been told about it.

Amsoil, Red Line, Castro, etc ...... heard great things about them all.... never seen any tests so i dont have an opinion on them.

FWIW also, the car that I ran the RP on was the mr2 in my signature... it was street driven, but not street legal. Probably as close as you can get to a race care without having slicks on it. The car was run on the edge quite often (20+PSI boost + nitrous). That might have something to do with why the RP came out like water after 3k miles, but fact remains Mobil1 still came out looking like oil. What does that mean? I dont really know, I just was not comfortable with RP in there.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
fishhead

I've always used Mobil 1 for engine oil. I've never had any issues, even with 115,000 miles on my 2000 toyota celica gts which sees regular romps in the 6k-8k rpm range. This is also the car that I run thr redline mt90 in in the tranny. When going from dino gear lube to the redline there is a definite difference. Much smoother shifts and some folks have even reported that it quieted down noisy syncros. I have no experience with the latter, but I can definitely feel the difference in the shifts. All that aside, any quality synthetic gear lube/ ATF will provide better heat protection, etc over dino based products provided it meets the manufacturers specs ie viscosity, GL # etc.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or RedLIne??