Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First gas mileage check

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default First gas mileage check

If anyone is interested here is a rundown on my Mustang's performance on a trip. I would also like to hear from you guys as to mileage in your GTs. I am even throwing in a few pix of the trip.

My wife wanted to take a little road trip and I wanted to give the Mustang a workout and check the gas mileage so we decided to take a trip from the Metro Detroit area to Michigan's upper peninsula to see the fall colors.

I've had my GT for 2 months and started our trip with about 700 miles on the odometer. Our round trip put on about 1200 miles. I did not use Interstate highways for the most part but drove on two-lane roads about 70 percent of the way. As far as driving style, I pushed it all the way. The two-lane roads gave me the opportunity to floor it often when passing. It just pulled and pulled. The Granitelli CAI system hightened the exhaust note to perfection, with just the right tone. What a kick! No one passed us. The speed limits on these roads was only 55 and I was doing 80 to 90 most of the time. But I felt totally in control with full confidence the Mustang could accelerate, corner, and stop safely... and it did. The highest I went this trip was 100 MPH. I have never felt this at ease, at speed, in any car before.

As far as mileage goes I was pleasantly surprised after the kind of workout I gave the car. The first leg of the trip was the lowest at 21.02 MPG. The best the car delivered was 22.72 MPG. The overall average for the entire trip was 22.54 MPG. I figure since the car is hardly broken in it will only get better. And if I wanted to improve it I could ease up on the throttle. Fat chance! I am totally satisfied with the performance.

Now lets hear from you other GT owners.

Sunrise over Mackinaw Island, MI from our motel

Wifey and my Mustang

Overlooking Grand Island National Recreation Area, Munising MI

My Mustang waiting for our return
Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: First gas mileage check

2000 miles, 18-20mpg.
-
nice pics and nice stang....thanks for sharing
Old 10-05-2006, 07:56 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

2000 miles, 18-20mpg.
-
nice pics and nice stang....thanks for sharing
Thanks hammeron, really like the yellow Mustangs. Too bad they cancelled that color. I had a '72 top banana yellow Charger. Very similar color. You have a stick? I have an automatic.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Thanks for sharing. I have not been on a long drive yet...too doggone busy working to pay my Stang...ha...but your info is good.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

I've had mine for about 3 months and have clocked 8000 on the odometer (long daily commute).
Gotta admit that I'm still very impressed with the gas mileage so far - I typically average 25mpg per tank and have found a 'sweetspot' at 62MPH where I get 29-30MPG (though to be honest, it can be very difficult to keep it at that speed).
And that's a beautiful pony you got, wingman.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spuddogg
I've had mine for about 3 months and have clocked 8000 on the odometer (long daily commute).
Gotta admit that I'm still very impressed with the gas mileage so far - I typically average 25mpg per tank and have found a 'sweetspot' at 62MPH where I get 29-30MPG (though to be honest, it can be very difficult to keep it at that speed).
And that's a beautiful pony you got, wingman.
Thanks spuddogg. Thats very impressive mileage. Is yours stick? Mine is automatic. The wife will not learn to shift and I want her to be able to drive on long trips. I haven't owned a stick in many years but still enjoy driving them when I get the opportunity. I think I can get a lot better mileage if I ease up on the throttle, but realistically that aint going to happen any time soon.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:08 AM
daveb4c

06 automatic GT

On a 600 mile trip, mostly highway, I averaged 24mpg.
Average speed was mid 60 to upper 60's I think.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:26 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75
Is yours stick? Mine is automatic.
Yep it's a manual.
I went quite a bit out of my way to get it and to be honest, after the novelty wore off I must admit that I really wish I got an auto.
I drive alot and frequently in traffic and I really don't like the stock clutches in these guys - too soft and spongy.
Unfortunately, my wife knows how to drive a manual; fortunately, she doesn't like to drive mine as it's a bitch to shift smoothly.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:01 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Those are very nice pictures! I love road trips.
If you've varied your speed during the break-in, then your MPG will definitely be low, but once its done your mileage will improve.
If you use your cruise control, or are very good at keeping a constant speed, then you should expect to get great MPG during your next trip.

Back in May, I went on a 1,400 mile road trip from Fla to Tenn and back.
My GT had an overall trip calculation of 26.917 MPG while travelling between 70 to 75 MPH.
At one point, it got 31.999 MPG, but that was because I was drafting behind an 18-wheeler.
I was in GA and filled it up, but just before I got to the Ga/Fla border, I topped off the tank.
I travelled 91.9 miles, put in 2.872 gals, and calculated 31.999 MPG.
My best non-drafting MPG was 28.214 and my worst average was 24.972 MPG, but that was when I was in Knoxville, Tenn driving around the city and stuff. Still, it was pretty good.
I normally drive as efficiently as I can so my GT averages between 22 to 23 MPG combined city/hwy, but when I want to get on it, I will.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jt14894

Those are very nice pictures! I love road trips.
If you've varied your speed during the break-in, then your MPG will definitely be low, but once its done your mileage will improve.
If you use your cruise control, or are very good at keeping a constant speed, then you should expect to get great MPG during your next trip.

Back in May, I went on a 1,400 mile road trip from Fla to Tenn and back.
My GT had an overall trip calculation of 26.917 MPG while travelling between 70 to 75 MPH.
At one point, it got 31.999 MPG, but that was because I was drafting behind an 18-wheeler.
I was in GA and filled it up, but just before I got to the Ga/Fla border, I topped off the tank.
I travelled 91.9 miles, put in 2.872 gals, and calculated 31.999 MPG.
My best non-drafting MPG was 28.214 and my worst average was 24.972 MPG, but that was when I was in Knoxville, Tenn driving around the city and stuff. Still, it was pretty good.
I normally drive as efficiently as I can so my GT averages between 22 to 23 MPG combined city/hwy, but when I want to get on it, I will.
Thanks jt14894, I think you must be more patient than I am. Thats very good mileage for a performance car like the Mustang. I'm still getting used to the fun of driving it and don't want to drive for economy quite yet. But I was surprised at how good mine was despite my pedal to the metal style of driving. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a careless driver, I'm a defensive driver who opens it up only when its safe to do so. On this particular trip I used 2 lane roads with little traffic and enjoyed it immensely. I'm sure my mileage will improve after the newness wears off.

Quick Reply: First gas mileage check