Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

QUESTION about loss of HP

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: QUESTION about loss of HP

Ok since my performance will drop with my 20's would a set of UD's compensate for the loss?? I am getting a supercharger hopefully before the year is over so for now i just hope to make up loss with some small additions.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A better compensation would be an aluminum driveshaft and probably an easier install.

ORIGINAL: Fireguy28

Ok since my performance will drop with my 20's would a set of UD's compensate for the loss?? I am getting a supercharger hopefully before the year is over so for now i just hope to make up loss with some small additions.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

OK how about both?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:18 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Don't go with UDs if you are going to go SC because you'll end up having to put the stock pulleys back on to work with the SC. Go with the aluminum driveshaft instead. That will continue to work for you when you go FI. You might also consider changing your gear ratio to make up for the difference of the 20s. Many here would say that you should go with 4.10s for a manual and 3.73s for an auto. Both of those options are conservative enough that you'll still be OK when you step up to a SC, although at that point you'll probably need some suspension upgrades to keep traction reliable.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Where is a good reliable place that sells good driveshafts??
Old 10-10-2006, 09:33 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nbk13nw

CMCV deletes.

Ok im a noob what is that??

The Charge plates on your car. If you think about older carburated cars. Well the butterfly that opens when you hit the pedal. Same thing really, just internal on our cars. Both side of the intake have four butterflies on the CMCV plates. Even at WOT they are opened but still caiuse a little loss of flow and I would guess some tubulance. When removing these and replacing them with a set that do not have the flaps built in. The restriction is gone. It looks like the gains are anywhere from 5 to 10 HP / TQ dependnig upon the car. A cheap (Less than 100.00) and easy install.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Powerhouse 411 is one place to look. There are others. Looks like there may be some competitive pricing soon since others are starting to release them now.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

any problems associated with the CMCV delete??
Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

So far no issues other than some sputtering above5800 rpm, this I think was due to running hard on a cold engine. It has not happened since that time. Otherwise, the MPG has stayed the same. The bottom end feels stronger, and the mid / upper rpm range is definitely stronger.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nbk13nw

The Charge plates on your car. If you think about older carburated cars. Well the butterfly that opens when you hit the pedal. Same thing really, just internal on our cars. Both side of the intake have four butterflies on the CMCV plates. Even at WOT they are opened but still caiuse a little loss of flow and I would guess some tubulance. When removing these and replacing them with a set that do not have the flaps built in. The restriction is gone. It looks like the gains are anywhere from 5 to 10 HP / TQ dependnig upon the car. A cheap (Less than 100.00) and easy install.
Huh ??? The last time I checked, the equivilant of a carburator butterfly was the throttle body. I've wrenched on several late model Ford multiport FI engines and it has only been since reading these mustang forums that I've heard of a CMCV. There was no CMCV on my MFI 302, or my MFI 351. It doesn't seem to be inherent in the 4.6's either as my wife's '98 grand Marquis doesn't have one, or I didn't notice one when I replaced that goofy plastic intake manifold a few months back. Ford had a cheaper idea when they decided to save a few pennies on heater core hose and routed the hose from the rear right portion of the engine to the core by using a metal hose bib press fit into a plastic manifold.

Getting back on thread, since the CMCV is not the throttle body then what does it do? Are there linkages to these butterflies or are they spring loaded and rely on intake vacuum to open?

BB

Quick Reply: QUESTION about loss of HP