Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SCT reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT reprogramming

Question for you fellas and ladies,

I just bought a used SCT tuner, and it's possible I might run a tune with the stock airbox for a while until I can afford the CAI. However, I was curious how I go about getting some different tunes once I do get the CAI. Do I send it in to Brent at brenspeed?, or is it something I can download or be walked through?

I'll likely want an 87, 89, and 91 tune when I get the CAI, but need to know how to reprogram it. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SCT reprogramming

When you buy a tuner (new) there's basically two ways it could go. If it came from a generic "speed shop" like Summit Racing, then the tuner will have the default "Canned" tunes from the SCT factory loaded into it. These do give a performance boost, but they are very conservative becasue they are a "one size fits all" kind of tune.

On the other hand, if the tuner came from a custom-tuning shop like Brenspeed, for example, then it will have come with their customized tunes instead. These tunes are much better than the default SCT tune. It's also possible that the tunes may be for a specific hardware setup. For example, you could have a "CAI and Header" tune, or a "nitrous tune", and so on.

First off, you need to know what you have now.

If you want to change it (or get new tunes) then you can contact a custom tuner like Brenspeed or Evolution, and they can Email you a tune file. You can then download that file onto your tuner. Doing that requires some special software called "Live Link", which you can download for free from the SCT web site.

chances are that you will have to pay for your custom tunes. Most tune shops will give you tunes for free if you bought the tuner from them, but since you have a used tuner you'll probably have to pay for their assistance.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:23 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much. I think that answered a lot of my questions. I will hopefully be getting a C&L intake soon, but have to wait for a "deal" to be able to do so.

Is it even worthwhile running a tune on the stock airbox? Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 01:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: swensicle

Is it even worthwhile running a tune on the stock airbox? Thanks

Yeah, you can get good gains from just a tune--especially if you have an Automatic.

My advice is to sell the used tuner and save up and buy a combo of intake + tuner from one of the well-known shops like Brenspeed, Evolution, or Bamachips (etc.).

The reason is that right now you're going to have to pay extra for your tunes anyway. That might well put you at more than the cost of a brand new tuner.

But most importantly is that you want a good relationship with the guys writing your tunes. If you buy a tuner & CAI from Brenspeed (for example) then Brent will be there for you when you need help or for future tunes for other mods that might come down the road. Having a skilled and cooperative tuning technician is how your are going to get your best gains. If you call up one of these guys having bought a tuner and CAI from who-knows-where, then they aren't going to be as helpful, and you're going to have to pay for the tunes.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

WOA now I am confused.

Your saying that if I bought my tuner/CAI from Brenspeed I can get free updated tunes???

On the other thread I thought they cost you $60.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

It seems reasonalbe to do so. In fact, Dave from brenspeed told me that it would cost $110 just for them to email me some tunes.

Is it possible to share tunes?...say I have a buddy that was emailed a tune. Can he then send it to me and I'll have the same one? If so, anybody got some tunes they want to send me?

You guys rock...thanks for the great info!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

ANYBODY? Is this doable?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You can't share tunes with your buddy. The tune files are locked to the serial number of your SCT unit. Even if they weren't it would only work if your buddy had the EXACT same set of mods you did.

As for most custom tune shops (Brenspeed, Evolution, etc.) here's how it works:

When you first buy your tuner, they will ask you what mods you have on your car and what tunes you want. When you get your tuner shipped to you, they will come with three tune files loaded into it--whatever tunes you want. If you're smart you can plan for future mods.

For example. Let's say that your car is currently stock but in the future you're considering adding headers and maybe CMCP plates. Pick whatever octane you want to run. (I suggest 93, the price difference isn't much over the basic. It's a very good bang-for-the buck mod.)

You can ask the shop for a 93 octane CAI tune, a CAI + Headers tune, and a CAI + Headers + CMCP tune.

..then you're set for quite some time.

If you want additional/different tunes down the road, you usually have to pay for them. Brenspeed's policy is that if you buy the parts from them, they will update your tune for free. If you buy the parts elsewhere, they charge you for the tune.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Crazy Al. It guess it's probable then that I might have a tuner for sale soon. It was supposed to be shipped to me today. I think it has some tunes to run my stock airbox. We'll see how it ends up.