Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Underdrive Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:14 AM
ShaunQN

Default Underdrive Pulley

Was just curious if installing an underdrive pulley is an at home job or if you need to have someone else do it. I'm looking to do a underdrive pulley and CAI+tuner but I figure I should go with the pulley first with winter coming up here in Nebraska and wait till spring to have fun with the CAI and tune. Is that a good idea to do the pulley first, will i have to tune the car with the pulley?? Also I was wondering which UDP people have had the most success with. Thanks for any responses. QN
Old 10-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: Underdrive Pulley

I believe there is a kit you can buy so you can do it at home. UDP's are a great mod, they add about 10 ponies to the wheels, but I read somewhere on these forums that it can cause problems or something with the A/C.

I would still go CAI+Tune for first mod, our cars love it cold, the first day the heat broke here in texas I thought I was driving another car.

EDIT: I can't find the post about the UDP causing problems, but I know I read it somewhere... Don't let it deter you from getting a set of 'em, I plan on getting some too.

1st choice would be Steeda UDP's, lotsa people have them, and, comeon, they are made by Steeda, nuff said.
2nd choice would be GMS; Granatelli makes awesome parts for a good price.

If you don't want to mod your car that much other than a CAI, UDP's, etc, go for the GMS cai, it is a tuneless cai and it costs about 250 on D'Agostino.
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=11901
Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You can do UDPs at home. Search around a bit, there is a site that has photos and whatnot that details the installation.

The only think wierd that you will need is a special kind of puller to remove the OEM balancer. You can rent one or borrow one from most auto parts stores. I got mine from Napa. I belive it is typically used to pull balancers on Chryslers. It looks a lot like a normal 3-jaw gear puller but it's very short so you can fit it in front of the crankshaft.

BTW, I realize most of the directions don't say to do this, but I recommend removing the fan before doing this mod. It is only two bolts and it gives you a LOT more room to work. After you remove the fan, sick some scrap cardboard down alongside the radiator so you don't accidentally bend any fins while you're working.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

yeah definatley take out the fan, its simple to move and makes life SO much easier on the instal. the crank bolt was my only problem to get out. no problems since the install, i have the steeda ones.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Here are a couple of write ups that may help you out...

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ctions%7E0.doc

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...tions1%7E0.doc
Old 10-10-2006, 07:36 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here's a picture of the puller that you need to get. Note that it is not the same as a typical balancer puller. You should be able to borrow one from any Auto parts store. As mentioned above, you won't get anywhere telling them you have an '05 Mustang. It won't be in their computer system. This puller is most commonly used on Chryslers. Just look at the pictures of what's available so you know what you need. (or print out the photo and bring it with you so you can show the clerk)

The puller is much easier to use if you wrap a thick rubber band around the jaws. That way the rubber band holds them in place while you tighten the nut.

By the way, if you end up with a kit like the one shown, it comes with a tool to prevent the balancer from turning while you torque the nut. See that ring? The posts on it fit into the balancer and it has a square cutout so you can hold it with a 1/2" socket or breaker bar. Of course, if you have a manual trans, just put the trans in a high gear and set the parking brake and you don't need to worry about this at all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32957/A407D85805A549BFA10AE052340B482C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
jlpskydive
1st Gear Member

What have your experiences with the AC in the summer been? How about the water pump? I live in NC and gets very hot and very humid here and AC is very important to me. I hate to sweat on leather!! LOL
Old 10-11-2006, 05:33 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Zero issues for me. And I've read posts from folks in Arizona that have UDPs and their A/C works the same as without the UDPs.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

If im going to go with udp's im getting an electric water pump mezire too .... but like people said i also have seen posts about alternators getting fujed up ... and the only solution is a better alternator ... so where can i find this better alternator ?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

If i buy steeda UDP's and then get a S/C will i have to reinstall the Stock UDP's?

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley