Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What should I do to make it run Cooler ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:49 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default What should I do to make it run Cooler ?

Well guys im sick of my gt when it gets in a bad heated situation were shifting becomes stiffer and the Reverse is hard to get... i really noticed when my car is cold the reverse easy comes... but after a 30 min of sweet cruising ride it becomes harder.. and after a small street race the shifting becomes harder.

So what should I get to make both my Engine and tranny run cooler ?

I have a 5 speed GT

and where can i find a thermostat that fits my mustang ? ( BEST ONE ON THE MARKET )
Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What should I do to make it run Cooler ?

www.rpmoutlet.com has some cooling products, check them out.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Good luck dealing with RPM Outlet, their customer service is non-existent and they don't tell you whether or not they actually have something in stock until AFTER you order it.

They're good for seeing what's out there but I would take that information and go to another site for ordering. I've had nothing but negative experience with them as such, I have nothing positive to say about them and will continue to make people of aware of their crappy service when given the chance....sorry for the partial hijack
Old 10-11-2006, 07:34 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Good luck dealing with RPM Outlet, their customer service is non-existent and they don't tell you whether or not they actually have something in stock until AFTER you order it.

They're good for seeing what's out there but I would take that information and go to another site for ordering. I've had nothing but negative experience with them as such, I have nothing positive to say about them and will continue to make people of aware of their crappy service when given the chance....sorry for the partial hijack
+1 I have had a bad experience with them but they are indeed alot cheaper than most sites so it is actually a matter of $. For better cooling just get oil coolers that go around 150$ and help you a tad, another cheap fix you can get is Redline's Water Wetter and that stuff REALLY works. cools your engine down around 20 degrees. Another important part is what part of the U.S. do you drive in?? I live in Puerto Rico so I never see any snow so I only got 15% coolant with distilled water and water wetter.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, definatley avoid RPM Outlet. Their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with.

Saud, do you have a manual or auto? I know you said 5-speed, but they are both 5-speeds, so it's not 100% clear)

To cool the engine down, get a lower temp thermostat. Also run a higher concentration of water vs antifreeze in the radiator. For example, stock is 50-50 water and antifreeze. Instead, run 30% antifreeze and 70% water. If you want even more, add a bottle of Red Line WaterWetter to the coolant too.

As for the transmission, that's a lot harder. If you have the automatic, you can get an auxilliary transmission cooler added in. If it's the manual, that is not possible. The only thing you can do with the manual is to put in some lighter transmission oil. Try Royal Purple Synchromax. That should make shifting eaiser, even at high temps. If your engine temps drop, the trans temps will drop slightly as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

About the thermostate i found 2 types the 180 degree and the 160 degree whats the diffrence ? and whats better ? whats more cooler ? will it affect my motor ?

YES STILL ANOYING QUESTIONS SORRRY lol

and about the radiator 50-50 can i just add the water wetter and go ? or do i have to do the 30% 70% mixture ?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:19 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

You can also try getting the LPW or Fluidyne radiator. It is twice the size of stock and although the bigger size won't be dramatic - it iwill allow you to run a bigger mix of water/coolant and should help some.

Another quick suggestion is to reprogram your tune to make your fan run all the time while driving.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

About the thermostate i found 2 types the 180 degree and the 160 degree whats the diffrence ? and whats better ? whats more cooler ? will it affect my motor ?

YES STILL ANOYING QUESTIONS SORRRY lol

and about the radiator 50-50 can i just add the water wetter and go ? or do i have to do the 30% 70% mixture ?

Well, the thermostat temps are exactly what they say they are. That is the temperature that the thermostat will attempt to keep the engine at.

Generally, there are 3 different temps. 160, 180 and 195. 195 is stock.

The lower the temp the cooler the engine should run. However, there are drawbacks. In the winter the engine won't warm up as fast with a low-temp thermostat. (Saud, this doesn't seem like a problem for you). Also, expect your gas mileage to drop slightly with the lower temp thermostats. I don't know how much. It might be so little you would hardly notice it. But it should drop slightly.

As for the coolant: the easiest option is to siphon off about 1 pint of fluid and then dump in the bottle of water wetter. That will keep the factory 50-50 mix. If you want to adjust it to 30-70 or something like that, then you need to drain out some of the coolant and refill it with water.

Fordfanboy's comments about the other radiators are good too...but keep in mind that a larger radiator doesn't help you unless you are maxing out your thermostat.

In other words, if you have a 195 thermostat but your actual temp is higher than that (say, 205) then you would benefit from a larger radiator.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Just how hot is the temperature where you are?

Does the temperature guage show that you are running hot?

I haven't heard of the trans being hard to shift when it's hot. As a matter of fact it's usually just the opposite! Maybe you have a clutch problem where it is not releasing all the way when hot.

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

Well guys im sick of my gt when it gets in a bad heated situation were shifting becomes stiffer and the Reverse is hard to get... i really noticed when my car is cold the reverse easy comes... but after a 30 min of sweet cruising ride it becomes harder.. and after a small street race the shifting becomes harder.

So what should I get to make both my Engine and tranny run cooler ?

I have a 5 speed GT

and where can i find a thermostat that fits my mustang ? ( BEST ONE ON THE MARKET )
Old 10-12-2006, 02:03 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
To cool the engine down, get a lower temp thermostat.
Uh...just exactly how does a lower tempature thermostat make the engine run cooler? The engine is going to reach it's maxium operating tempature for the conditions it is under reguardless of the thermostat degree. If what you were telling him were true then we could all put in 160 degree thermostats and our cars would run at 160 degrees.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Generally, there are 3 different temps. 160, 180 and 195. 195 is stock.
Not to be arguementative, but isn't stock 180?

Quick Reply: What should I do to make it run Cooler ?