Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MAC axel-back?

Old 10-13-2006, 02:41 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MAC axel-back?

Love my MACs...THe drone is not near as bad as its made out to be on the interent. I personally kinda like it... In my car, with manual & 3.55s it drones aroud 63-67....and at 70 its pretty much dead quiet. All I can say is get them... You can't go wrong. And personally, I too think it is the way a Mustang is supposed to sound. I'm contemplating the o/r-h or high flow cats...To me the only problem with the MACs are they aren't loud enough...But you can hear them no problem.... WOT is like music... You'll love them!!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:26 AM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

It's settled then. I'm getting the MAC's. Now to accumulate the money! If anyone else has experience with them.. do tell.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

I have the Macs also and the worst part was the drone at say 50 to 65 mph in 5th gear. They look really good, are quiet when the car is at idle. I also believe that since I installed my CAI and Tune from Brenspeed that the sound has changed. The drone is actually less than what it was. It also sounds a lot better a WOT. You will not be disappointed.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:26 PM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

Get the MAC's, I have the Macs as well. There is a drone, but you do get used to it. I have about 5k miles with them on and still love to hear the rumble. They look great, you have the 4in polished rolled tips exhaust sticking out the back and when you start the car, it is noticed. Initially the drone made me think, have I done the right thing? After some time either I got used to it, or it mellowed a bit.
Whatever the case may be, you will not regret your decision. If the drone bothers you, turn up the stereo.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:55 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

I guess cause im young i don't get it...the drone is not bad at all....It actually sounds cool to me....hence why ill drive around 63-65 or so....But its really easy to work around....Unless you have to drive 65 all the time....and even then it is not that bad...I think musclecars should kinda have these lil quirks like this....It reminds you your driving American muscle...not a BMW or whatever. I love the MACs, with drone and everything! Like everyone said, you won't be disappointed....Oh and one point....make sure you fire your car up and go run it around the block with out the mufflers on it for a bit....Just to hear what open pipes sound like .
Cory
Old 10-14-2006, 12:34 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

The Mac's were the first change i made to my 07, Yes they have a drone to them but, after about a week, i didn't care. Then when i installed my Brenspeed tune, i noticed the drone was far less but i think its because the shifts are at different rpm's now and from what other perameters where change in the tune. But at any rate, It hauls butt know and sounds great at the same time!

Thanks again Brent!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Not only do I like them but people tell me all the time how they like them. I was hailed on the interstate before by this guy who wanted to know what mufflers I was running. They are also are made out of stainless steel and look beautiful. If don't like drone or can't endure it then don't bother.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:48 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

I've got MACs too and love them. Yes, they drone like all of the aftermarket axle-backs, but it sounds cool and the drone is between 1800 and 2000 RPMs when you are on the throttle a little bit. At first when I got them, I thought it was a little loud, but now that I am used to them I want them louder. At WOT they absolutely scream! I find myself more and more upshifting the car around town even when I don't have too just to let it lug around in the drone RPM range since it sounds cool. I too have gotten compliments from guys who hear me take off from work. They say the car sounds bad ***!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/3E389D0E777945B2B3FA3767CA62074E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/FEB362099E9C462494A3251B3F688893.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-14-2006, 07:30 PM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

Thank you to everyone for the input! I'm buying the MAC's for sure. I'm just waiting for my paycheck. I'll let you guys know how about results! thanks again. [sm=burnout.gif]
Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 PM
PhotonSabreX

ORIGINAL: RedGTyl

Thank you to everyone for the input! I'm buying the MAC's for sure. I'm just waiting for my paycheck. I'll let you guys know how about results! thanks again. [sm=burnout.gif]
Good deal. I know it's subjective, but I think MACs have the best sound out there in terms of axel back only. Whenever you're looking to kick it up even another notch, you should check out the sound clips at brenspeed. They have a set up of MACs with both an off road H and an off road X. The H sounds unbelieveably good; same tone as the stock H, but louder and throatier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAC axel-back?