Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MAC axel-back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

Default MAC axel-back?

I'm looking for a new exhaust system for my '06 GT. My my beloved exhaust guy was pushing me towards IMCO muffers. but I think it will just sound like a flowmaster and I definitely dont like how those sound on the 05-07's. Then I was looking through the forums and exhaust clips and I'm REALLY liking the sound of the MAC axel-backs. But I keep hearing of this major drone or resonance at 1700-2000rpm. If anyone has MAC's let me know how the drone affects you. and if you have an auto or a manual. I can see why drone in an auto would be torture because it holds the low rpms during normal accel. Since i have the manual i dont think it will be that bad. Anyway if anyone wants to give some input it would be much apreciated [sm=burnout.gif]
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MAC axel-back?

I heard the drone is not bad at all in manual. Onlt on aouto's are worse. But hey I love the drone!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM
RedGTyl
1st Gear Member

Oh thats great to hear. I see that you have an X pipe. how does that sound? I'm looking for the glorious 3,000 rpm howl. thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

all mufflers drone. Some more than others or at different RPM's.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 PM
PEPS GT 2

I have Mac on my auto. Some days its louder then others. Most case it's a small price to pay for the sound you get. On the interstate, I'm above 2000 rpms so the drone is gone.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Screamin Yellow 06
1st Gear Member

I also have the MAC's and I love them! The drone was only annoying the week or so. Now I dont really notice it and really love the sound! It was exactly what I was looking for! I think the x pipes make it sounds a little raspier and I didn't really like that combination. I basically made my decision based on the sound clips on brenspeed.com. You should check those out and listen to them a few times.

Another nice thing about the MACs is that thet are polished stainless steel and will always look good and probably out live the car. When I was looking there were a lot of post about the flow masters and that people were having problems with internal baffles breaking loose and rattling.

The MAC's also have nice big 4" tail pipes that look really nice on the Mustang.

Trust me, unless you're looking for that extremely loud exhaust note, go with the MAC's. You'll love 'em!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

I love the macs . I was at my tint mans shop yesterday and when I come back to pick my car up he said he loves pulling my car in his shop ...his words ...it sounds like a mustang should sound ....get them ..I dont think you will be sorry ...I am thinking of adding the pypes o/r h also ...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

I have the Mac's and the drone isn't that bad and you get use to it real quick or atleast I did. I love the sound of them. I've had them on the car for about 6,000 miles and no problem and they still shine up when washed...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:58 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I would not have called it "major drone" there was a drone but it was not out of hand. I say "was" a drone because once the X was added the drone went bye bye. Look, quality etc were/is top notch!

Macs

Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

i drove my dads 07 GT 5 speed with macs...the drone...is bad....he doesnt like it but i do

Quick Reply: MAC axel-back?