Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my KB 06 GT dyno'd ... not impressed :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got my KB 06 GT dyno'd ... not impressed :(

Deleted for being out of line. Sorry.
ORIGINAL: ttribe

06 GT with 2.6 KB supercharger, intercooled, supposed to be 9psi.

First off, i temporarly hooked up a boost guage... thing rarely hits 9ps. i had a friend keep a close eye on it on various runs 2nd to 4th gear (on the street). Mostly 7 to 8 pounds, only SOMETIMES did it hit 9psi and that was only in 4th gear. he said it actually look more like 8.75psi.

Dyno numbers (run to 6400ish rpm)

Run 1 .... 411.69 HP 387.53 Torque

Run2 .... 424.49 HP 380.31 Torque

I can not figure out why Run two had a 13 HP increase / 7ft/lb loss. and also, my 2nd run has a "spike" in power for the last 1k RPS ... like maybe the boost spiked up that run, i dont know. Also, run1 has a "dip" in hp/tq around 3200, but in run2 it is perfectly smooth over that spot.

Test was in a warehouse, pretty warm in there, but printout of the dyno runs does not include any variables. I dont have a scanner, I will take a digital pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Oh, reason i am disappointed is because KB claims 465ish RWHP on my kit and around 411 ft/lb. I went in expecting to see some 440+ #s. Maybe is was weather/temp/humidity whatever, maybe not.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM
ttribe
1st Gear Member

A few thoughts:

1. Temperature/humidity/elevation could be a factor. Can you fill us in on these?

2. How was the air flow around the car during the run? Heat soaking can be a major issue on dyno runs, especially on forced-induction setup. Your intercooler may have been operating very poorly due to this, and that will cost you power.

3. Was the clutch slipping? Generally one upgrades the clutch when adding a blower.

4. I wouldn't trust the pressure gage reading very much. The vast majority of pressure gages are quite inaccurate, +/-20% or more error is common. Also keep in mind that a "9 psi" blower setup will only make 9 psi PEAK boost. It's not a constant 9 lbs.

5. 20" wheels will be costing you a good amount of HP on the dyno due to excess weight. 20" wheels are a downgrade from a performance point of view.
Was a dynojet, was dyno'd at www.stoopidfast.com yesterday. Very close to sea level (Houston, Tx) I am not sure of the humidity or b-pressure yesterday, as the print-out did not include any variables. I did assume that the 20"s might have shaved 5-10 RWHP off my gains.

I installed the kit myself. KB supplies their own map, the car is not "custom tuned." In fact, if you change their map, they void the entire warranty on their products. FWIW, the car that they had 460+ on was also in a magazine, it had factory 18' wheels on it.

The dyno was poorly set up for sure, mostly FWD cars there, so the big fans were pointed at the back of my car. One small fan placed at the front. Temperature inside the warehouse (assuming) was in the 90s and the shop was poorly ventelated. But do keep in mind, for some unexplained reason, I made MORE power on my 2nd run than my first run.

Car was dyno'd in 4th gear, which is also the only gear it would boost over 8psi from previous testing on the street.

All things considered, i have been to the Dyno many of times in the past (different cars). This was my first trip to this particular shop, and I was not impressed, I will be looking for a different (yet local) shop that is not based on imports. I will likely have it dynoed again with in a month or two. (in hopes to have propper air-flow directed towards the Front of my car).

Waiting on my wife to get home so i can get the camera to get a pic of this graph posted on here. While we wait, here is KB's dyno on a bone stock car with their kit installed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48862/FB5032AAD48D4F32930F61EF0E395D83.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48862/A4E7D03830134E2394F0654638EE4445.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

First off, i temporarly hooked up a boost guage... thing rarely hits 9ps. i had a friend keep a close eye on it on various runs 2nd to 4th gear (on the street). Mostly 7 to 8 pounds, only SOMETIMES did it hit 9psi and that was only in 4th gear. he said it actually look more like 8.75psi.

Dyno numbers (run to 6400ish rpm)

Run 1 .... 411.69 HP 387.53 Torque

Run2 .... 424.49 HP 380.31 Torque

I can not figure out why Run two had a 13 HP increase / 7ft/lb loss. and also, my 2nd run has a "spike" in power for the last 1k RPS ... like maybe the boost spiked up that run, i dont know. Also, run1 has a "dip" in hp/tq around 3200, but in run2 it is perfectly smooth over that spot.

Test was in a warehouse, pretty warm in there, but printout of the dyno runs does not include any variables. I dont have a scanner, I will take a digital pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Oh, reason i am disappointed is because KB claims 465ish RWHP on my kit and around 411 ft/lb. I went in expecting to see some 440+ #s. Maybe is was weather/temp/humidity whatever, maybe not.
Grab some new headers, an H pipe and you should see a nice little increase of power [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 10-15-2006, 05:13 PM
ttribe
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KTownGT
Grab some new headers, an H pipe and you should see a nice little increase of power [sm=smiley20.gif]
I plan to do more in the future, have to recuperate from this kenne bell purchase first. I dont want emission inspection headaches, not sure if catted LT/H are really worth it or not.

Well, here is the Dyno .... pay special attention to how run2 dips low around 3200, then spikes up around 6k ... that part boggles me as it did not happen during run1.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48862/3272497983064D95B836C06C9ADF5182.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-15-2006, 05:40 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

Like others said, there are a lot of factors to consider when you do a dyno. Some people including my self follwed the dealer and the manual instruction for the car and dyno the car with 87 octanes, Do you have HTO's on the car as well. Temperatures, etc. I have a 2.4 KB not the 2.6 like other said and let me tell you my car makes a lot of ****ing power on the 10 psi pulley, I have a custom tune from ST Motorsports. Call him and see if the can sell you a canned tune for the KB . Here is the graph of my dyno @10 psi 91 octanes. I am sure you don't want to see the one on 110.

A lot of the power made is not only on how much BOOS you are running it also has to do with other factors. BTW I have a o/r H pipe.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Did they have an air/fuel meter hooked up to the car?? That could tell the complete story.

I would find another shop that works with RWD performance cars. Get some fans on the front of the car. Throw in some good fuel. Cooler weather should be coming, that might help.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
ttribe
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverpoison

Like others said, there are a lot of factors to consider when you do a dyno. Some people including my self follwed the dealer and the manual instruction for the car and dyno the car with 87 octanes, Do you have HTO's on the car as well. Temperatures, etc. I have a 2.4 KB not the 2.6 like other said and let me tell you my car makes a lot of ****ing power on the 10 psi pulley, I have a custom tune from ST Motorsports. Call him and see if the can sell you a canned tune for the KB . Here is the graph of my dyno @10 psi 91 octanes. I am sure you don't want to see the one on 110.

A lot of the power made is not only on how much BOOS you are running it also has to do with other factors. BTW I have a o/r H pipe.

Some people including my self follwed the dealer and the manual instruction for the car and dyno the car with 87 octanes
I just looked over my paperwork/install guide, I can not find where it says to dyno the car on 87octane ... am i understanding you correctly?

All I see is "use the highest octane available, never use lower than 91" etc. I am using 93, here in houston, that is what every station carries.

Do you have HTO's on the car as well.
Yes, installed HT0's during SC install.

let me tell you my car makes a lot of ****ing power on the 10 psi pulley
Besides the custom toon and 10psi pulley, what other mods do you have that would increase your power?

I also have a 100 octane tune from KB, but have not run it yet. I was at a "dyno day" where they did not allow air/fuel hookup so not to delay the event. Is Kenne Bell's included tune just really mild/safe? Your custom tune, how did they get more power? more timing or was standard KB tune rich or what.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:35 AM
duk
1st Gear Member

Well we just found you problem then if they didnt hook up a air fuel gauge.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

I haven't had my car on the dyno yet, but I have a VDO boost guage, and in every gear but 1st it'll go straight to 9psi at anything over 1500rpm. In 1st I either have wheelspin or have to shift too fast. I got the guage with the 0-15psi range so I could read it accurately and easily.

The kit normally comes with an 8pis pulley. Have you have installed a 9psi pulley?

Old 10-16-2006, 03:25 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

The most important question no one has asked is who is tuning you car?' and how many KB's have they done? The tuner you use is more important than the mod you buy IMO.

If you are tuning the car on the kit included tune (or any s/c included tune) - that is your first problem.

What all companies claim their kits make is on their custom tunes - not the kit included tunes.

Quick Reply: Got my KB 06 GT dyno'd ... not impressed :(