Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:48 AM
speeddemon

Default Supercharger ???

I know this has been probably asked before, but please just bare with me fellas. I read that our 2005+ Mustang 4.6L V8 can handle outside modifications (CAI, headers, etc.) up to 425 hp, before the engine has to be modified internally (pistons,valves, etc.). My question is if I could put in a supercharger kit in a stock Stang GT engine and not change out any of the stock parts? If no... what do I change? If yes, what would you recommend to upgrade? I know bigger fuel injectors and an intercooler are a plus... Thanks guys!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:28 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger ???

ORIGINAL: speeddemon

I know this has been probably asked before, but please just bare with me fellas. I read that our 2005+ Mustang 4.6L V8 can handle outside modifications (CAI, headers, etc.) up to 425 hp, before the engine has to be modified internally (pistons,valves, etc.). My question is if I could put in a supercharger kit in a stock Stang GT engine and not change out any of the stock parts? If no... what do I change? If yes, what would you recommend to upgrade? I know bigger fuel injectors and an intercooler are a plus... Thanks guys!
I think more like better quality head/con rod/main fasteners, forged internals(pistons/rods/crank) are needed for major boost levels. With most affordable S/C kits that are smog legal the boost levels aren't too ridiculous(usually under 9 psi) so with proper fuel delivery(upgraded pump/injectors) and a quality tune and good grade gasoline you shouldn't have to worry too much about internal engine work. Just need to make sure the engine is properly fed with enough fuel and has proper timing for the S/C you decide to use.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

in short; Many of us are over 500 crank HP on stock block and other then bolt on items. (yes a supercharger is bolt on lol)
Some where over 550 crank HP you see HP related failures.
There are many routes to get you to the 500+ hp circle! None it completely head and shoulders abouve the rest to that level. The difference (to me) is where are you planing to go from that point? Price for a driveable 'installed' kit. Knowledge from tuners and forums like this one and others. Just because I went wih the Saleen doesn't mean it's the best S/C (or turbo) there is out there for every persons meeds/wants. I went with it because it'll take me further then I'm ready to go today and the price was right and install was almost straight forward. Good luck with your choice and keep an open mind before and after you decide on one!
05SDI
Old 10-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

THE most important consideration in any power adder, (SC, Turbo, or NO2) is TUNING. Find a reputable tuner and go from there. Decide what you want, (low end torque, high end, etc) and find the best application for your desire.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

^^^+1

The tune is what is the culprit of 99% of windowed blocks on these cars. Not that you can go ridiculous on the stock bottom end but the 400-450 limit is a myth. There are many cars at 550 rwhp on the stock longblock with no problems and there are motors that let go at 400 rwhp. The difference in almost every case was the tune.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
carnut
1st Gear Member

fordfanboy is right (listen to his advice he knows a TON) about how the engine can really hold like 500-550 at the crank. like he said its all about the tuner you get. with that said 450rwhp (about what youll be making with 500+ at the crank) is crazy. it makes the car completely different. most people can chirp the tires at like 50mph. just research what you want it for and how much your willing to spend because the more power, the more it costs.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I can chirp my tires at 50 mph. The very firm shifting from the tune helps with that. Plus the extra ponies
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
speeddemon

So what is a good tuner out there?!?! I'm assuming if I went with Magnacharger, procharger, or etc... they would recommend the best tuner for the SC. I got an 06 Mustang, so what's the best SC to get for an almost daily driver and being on the track every now and then? YOU GUYS F'IN RULE, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

If I was going FI I would go with the Kenne Bell(2.6) or the Whipple supercharger. POSSIBLY even look into a Powerhouse turbo (kind of OT, my bad).

Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 PM
carnut
1st Gear Member

speeddemon - thats the thing. all those guys would tell you to use their tunes AND ONLY their tunes. nobody else. you need to find a shop that has worked on other FI mustangs and make your decision from there. as far as best supercharger for street, i personally would go with the saleen. its pretty cheap (around 5,100) and it makes good amounts of power from 4psi of boost (this is conservative considering these engines can hold 9-10 psi stock with good tune). honestly though its your money so you should make the final decision.