Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Running very lean

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Running very lean

ORIGINAL: Wally39
By the way, sometimes it knocks at WOT and sometimes it don't. If that helps with a diagnosis. I'm going to put on a new MAF sensor I have and see if that helps.
If you are running lean, it will be temp/weather dependant and it may be knocking "slightly" when you cannot hear it...

If you have a MAF handy, I'd try that and again double check wiring, hoses, etc...

If you have a tuner - grab some MAF/O2 data as well... erratic readings at idle will tell you if there is something on the electrical side...

I understand that some people have had tight clearances with the CAI hoses on Saleens (I have the 98mm "extreme" intake, so I don't know) and either used lowering mounts or even heated the intake and bent it down. Is it possible your's is rubbing on the hood and unseating, cracking, or knocking the PCV connections out?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I think I might have found the problem. I went to put in the new MAF sensor and the clamp on the throttle body was loose. I tightened everything up and I can hear it sucking air throught the filter. Seems to run alot better. Like you said the hood rubbing on the intake hose must have unseated and loosened it up. Mine rubs even with the engine lowering mounts.
I'm taking it to the dyno shop again to check it out.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Thought it was fixed, but then it started knocking sometimes again. Even under partial throttle. This is very frustrating.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have seen the fuel air mixture on the SCT. I hope I said that right. In other words it should be able to be adjusted. I assume that I'm too running lean because every since I've gotten tunes I have had this problem. I once ran the 87 tune with 93 gas and that corrected the condition but then I got the new 93 tune and it rocked so hard that I rather be easy on the throttle then go back to the other tune. Soon I too will go in for the dyno and I'm praying everything is rectified then. Right now I kind of know when it can happen and when it doesn't. I have also have used octane boosters. It's a shame I feel like I have been cheated some what because I believe I am one of the few with this problem. I have been told my car has more timing than others. When I drove my buddy's car when he still had it , I recognize immediately it didn't have the power mind did. Oh well hoping soon things will be better until then the cooler weather has helped some.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Thought it was fixed, but then it started knocking sometimes again. Even under partial throttle. This is very frustrating.
When you mess with A/F like that, sometimes it is helpful to reset the PCM to clear all the "trim"... (i.e. pull the negative battery cable for a minute or so... )

That said, do you have a tuner that can log A/F data? That would take some of the guesswork out of it...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I think I will disconnect the battery cable like you said for a minute or so and see what happens. Sorry for your knocking problem, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My brother thinks it's a vacuum leak somewhere.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Did you install the SC? Why couldn't they adjust things with the SCT? Must be JDM locking you out cause I can change a lot of things with mine.

I think I will disconnect the battery cable like you said for a minute or so and see what happens. Sorry for your knocking problem, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My brother thinks it's a vacuum leak somewhere.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Didn't you call brent for a new tune? Being easy on the throttle is a poor solution. What's the point if you're afraid to step on it?

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I have seen the fuel air mixture on the SCT. I hope I said that right. In other words it should be able to be adjusted. I assume that I'm too running lean because every since I've gotten tunes I have had this problem. I once ran the 87 tune with 93 gas and that corrected the condition but then I got the new 93 tune and it rocked so hard that I rather be easy on the throttle then go back to the other tune. Soon I too will go in for the dyno and I'm praying everything is rectified then. Right now I kind of know when it can happen and when it doesn't. I have also have used octane boosters. It's a shame I feel like I have been cheated some what because I believe I am one of the few with this problem. I have been told my car has more timing than others. When I drove my buddy's car when he still had it , I recognize immediately it didn't have the power mind did. Oh well hoping soon things will be better until then the cooler weather has helped some.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Wally39 - how long did you have the SC on before you had a problem with knocking? Are you SURE you didn't have any pinging before and just did not notice it?

moosestang - blip back over to your line lock thread if you get a chance.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

We took out spark and it ran slower and one day somewhere it pinged anyway just like once. Who knows maybe the dyno will help. I have tried other tunes of his but to be honest for once it ran like a dead dog, I mean really slow.
ORIGINAL: moosestang

Didn't you call brent for a new tune? Being easy on the throttle is a poor solution. What's the point if you're afraid to step on it?

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Quick Reply: Running very lean