Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

STOPPING

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:20 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default STOPPING

Hey everyone, Ive had my 06 Stang GT for a couple of months now and LOVE IT. Its super fast (to me anyway), looks great, has a great ride.

Know i was expecting it not to handle as well as my last car (3kgt) or some of my friends cars like a Z's. But this car also has a 10x better ride to were you can drive for hours unlike those othe cars were you feel lke an hold person getting out for a drive any longer then an hour.

But i though the braking was going to be much better then it is. It does not stop no wear near as fast as my old car, my buddys 350z (who doesnt even have the upgrade brembo brakes), etc. IT doesnt stop fast enough and feels crappy and not very stable when pushing them. I know there big brake kits but man, that pricy. Is that my only answer to my problem and is there any side effects to big brake kits?

Thanks again
Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: STOPPING

Possibly the cheapest way would get better brake pads, and they have kits to replace the brake line to the stainless steel braided lines. I have done this on my bike and definatley improved braking, I would imagine the same for cars as well.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

That's interesting. I think the brakes on mine are great. No mush, good grip, great feel. I wonder if many people have the same feeling as you do about the stoppers? I might just be used to a lot worse, making my opinion skewed...
Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

my 1st sport car; which is now 12 yrs old just stop better and felt better under hard braking(it didnt even have abs, lol). I know alot of ppl are all for more hp but since this is my 1st 300hp car; i just planning on doing exhuast/ intake/ tune for a lil bit, which will prolly make me happy.I dont know how ppl add sc and all this and keep the brakes stock; i guess im a little more brake happy then every one else. I wounder if ford or ford racing offers anything.

but do you think better brake pads would make a dif or im i wasting money and the only thing that will make a dif is a brake kit?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:54 PM
fordly

Hey this is just a suggestion - I don't have one of these cars ... yet! - but I have driven a couple of them and thought the brakes were pretty good.

If you are concerned, or if you suspect that the brakes are not operating up to expectation, then if I were you (and I know, I am not) I think I would:
1) Drive another example of the same vehicle and compare;
2) If that one brakes about the same, think about an upgrade - just as you are;
3) If that one brakes noticably better, take it in to Ford (or the mech of your choice) and have it looked at and fixed.

This would apply to any vehicle. My 2cents.

~Bill
Old 11-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Johnny,

I'm of your opinion that the brakes are the weakest link in an otherwise well rounded car. On the road, under normal driving conditions I don't have any issues, but I've had mine on road-race courses, and the biggest gripe I had was the brakes. The second time out I upgraded to this:
1. Wilwood High Temp brake fluid (complete system flush and fill)
2. Braided steel lines (all four corners)
3. Hawk HPS pads (all four corners)

I have to say, I wasn't as pleased with the improvement as I had hoped. Some of the guys there suggested some more serious "race only" pads (like Hawk's Black pads or their Blue pads), which is my next move. But you have to know that these must be swapped out after the track event, they make way too much noise for the street. I think I'll go with HP+ pads for the street.

I had also considered going with Baer's Eradispeed Plus rotor kits. These have brackets that mount the OEM calipers further out to accomodate the 14" rotors. Basic physics says you'll get more torque with a longer lever, so this should improve braking. The cost is still around $1200-$1300 for complete front and rear sets (or you could just try their front set for around $650).

Good luck!

Best,
-j
Old 11-04-2006, 02:37 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

wait; you can get a braking kit for 1200? I though they were all over 2g. Another question if i was 2 get a big brake kit; how much do you think labor would for that?

I honestly im not a big fan of the brakes even though im not road racing my car; i like to drive very "spirtly" ,hit coners fast and exit fast and all that good stuff. Plus i have 2 say my brakes on my 3000gt have gotten me out of accidents before. I remeber one time drivng down the road (no lights on the road) at nite at 60mph and for what ever reason their was a couch laying in the middle of the road; i slammed on my brakes and got the car down to 40 and just snaped the wheel left to avoid and right to get back in my lane.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

hi johnny,

The kit I'm referring to is not a caliper kit, only a larger rotor modification Baer makes. You reuse your OEM calipers, but they are mounted an inch and a half farther out (thus, better leverage). The world's favorite online marketplace usually has someone selling the front for around $750 (shipped), and $650 (shipped) for the rear. If you're patient, you can find someone offering them from time to time for slightly less (shipped for $700/$600 respectively).

Best,
-j

Here's some text/image from an ad:
Baer Eradispeed-PLUS Front 2-piece 14" rotors for all 2005 2006 Mustang GTs. These huge rotors are installed using a simple caliper relocating bracket. All Baer Eradispeed rotors are crossdrilled, slotted and zinc plated for both performance and looks. These Eradispeed-PLUS rotors use an aluminum hat that greatly reduces weight.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28883/E20697BCD94B4094A23C891C03FE1FF9.jpg[/IMG]

BTW, in theory a larger rotor with the same clamping power (same caliper/OEM brake system) should provide more stopping power. But this is sort of like the theory regarding wheel/tire combos with larger rotating mass. How much of a difference is up for grabs; I can't tell you from experience (or even a well-controlled test) what improvements this kit will offer. But hey! get a pair and let us all know!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
GTSLOW

Lets face it, the brakes on these cars suck. Just take off the wheels and take a good look. The calipers from TRW are a disgrace for this car. I love the car, the acceleration, the look, it just doesnt stop all that well. I am replacing the brakes in the vette to stop-tech calipers and rotors and those stock brakes are really good for road use but can flex at the track. For the GT I will need new rims and tires to fit all the new hardware, so its a springtime project. I'll need tires then anyway.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I agree, the brakes are very wussy. When yer going from 0 to 110 between stoplights, you gotta have good brakes...and in DC...*****...

Anywho, I think my next upgrade will at least be a set of new brake pads. Something that can take my lead foot. I am, believe it or not, a safety nut.

Quick Reply: STOPPING