Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Granatelli CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
godminus1
2nd Gear Member

Default Granatelli CAI

I bought the Granatelli CAI for my 2007 GT. I was extremely dissapointed. The heat shield didnt sit in place securely, and it also pushed against my brake lines. The silicon tube to connect the CAI to the throttle body wasn't long enough to safely connect both sides, when I had to take everything off the MAF connector literally fell apart. After my two friends and I, who have done many CAIs, spent a couple hours trying to get everything to sit nicely, which never happened, I went to start the car. It turned on and the rpm's just dropped until the car shut off. Yes, I did disconnect the battery terminal.

After waiting two weeks this was a huge dissapointment, and it will be going back. What are my other options?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli CAI

Get a C&L with a tune.Tried and true method with no funky propiatery maf sensor. Get the tune from one of the big 3.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

I just intsalled Demolets Tunable Induction along with his SCT tunes. I am very happy with the performance and fitment of the CAI. His customer service is outstanding and you cant beat the price, less than $500 shipped to my door.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: godminus1

I bought the Granatelli CAI for my 2007 GT. I was extremely dissapointed. The heat shield didnt sit in place securely, and it also pushed against my brake lines. The silicon tube to connect the CAI to the throttle body wasn't long enough to safely connect both sides, when I had to take everything off the MAF connector literally fell apart. After my two friends and I, who have done many CAIs, spent a couple hours trying to get everything to sit nicely, which never happened, I went to start the car. It turned on and the rpm's just dropped until the car shut off. Yes, I did disconnect the battery terminal.

After waiting two weeks this was a huge dissapointment, and it will be going back. What are my other options?
That's funny, because I just installed mine, and it was almost the complete opposite experience.

The silicone was a bit short, but I had enough to get the clamps on with about 1/8th inch extra. I've beat it up over the past two days, and it hasn't shown the slightest sign of budging. If you don't think you have enough, it's not like it's some kind of secret part. Go to an AdvancedAuto or someplace and get more.

The biggest pain in the butt part of the whole project was getting the cone filter on the damn pipe. Took a struggle, and eventually I got fed up and stretched the sucker (yeah, in anger) and miraculously it finally shoved on.

The MAF bypass thing Granatelli supplies was okay, but what they forgot to mention in the directions was that the harness connector safety tab won't work for the male side. I probably could have figured this out on sight, but wasn't paying attention and upon pushing the tab in, the little hook snaped off. No biggie. THe connector fits pretty snug (but a bit of electrical tap made sure it stayed).

The only problem I had (and I don't know if it is still a problem) is that after reconnecting the battery and starting the car up, I got a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message. Running a system check re-finds the problems. Haven't been alerted to this since that first start-up, and since I assume the car is checking its systems each time I start it up, I assume it's gone away. I've been meaning to remember to hit the sys-check again. Don't know what's causing the issue.

The only real problems I had with the whole project was the vendor. After paying for the 3-day, it showed up a week-and-a-half later. The pipe, despite being bubble-wrapped, had apparently hit something so hard that the MAF connector had cut through the bubble-wrap and there was a chip in the connector bracket. This, plus the filter was bent, and some of the packing peanuts had melted to the plastic parts of the filter, which took a bit of scrubbing to get off. Wasn't too happy about that...

I meant to do a full foto-writeup on the installation for the forum, but didn't have the time. I'll take some pictures of the key parts and how it looks in the engine bay this coming week.

I'll admit I was a bit miffed at the way the heat shield sits under the hood. You'd think it would be molded to better fit around the (rather important) ABS system. I especially didn't like having to zip-tie the shield's inner edge to one of the ABS hydraulic lines. That seems risky to me. I know those lines are pretty sturdy, but I'm fairly certain they weren't designed to have things tied to them...especially things tied to a rattling engine. In the near future I'll be looking to mod the heatshield box to resolve this problem. I might be able to melt a tab onto the side and secure it better to the frame, or the more sturdy radiator housing. I don't like things messing with my safety things...

Sorry you had a bad experience. It's been a great pipe for me. Love the sound, and you can definately feel the HP/T difference! I'd call up Granatelli and tell them your story. Maybe they can help you out.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem yesterday. Was installing this yesterday in mine and nothing fits at all!! Im very upset I brought this intake and the worse is that it didnt work! I plugged in the jumper and started the car and it stalled twice with-in 2 secs!! I have already emailed Lethal performance on this I hope we get this problem fixed......your not alone
Old 11-07-2006, 01:28 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

I got mine in. It was a little irritating. The silicon sleeve I had no problem with. The heat shield was the problem. I think they needed to make the tube about an inch longer. I probably took 30 minuts trying to get teh filter on and the heat shield in the proper place.

But once it was on, I think it runs great now. Feels like the power is through the whole range. The throttle lag has diminished. There is a very small amount, but nothing close to stock. And the sound at WOT is awesome.

Here are some pics.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: techmanBDsStang

And the sound at WOT is awesome.
Agreed! Baby's got growl!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

mine should be coming any day now. I'll chime in to let you all know hom anotherone went.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
godminus1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TElke1

I had the same problem yesterday. Was installing this yesterday in mine and nothing fits at all!! Im very upset I brought this intake and the worse is that it didnt work! I plugged in the jumper and started the car and it stalled twice with-in 2 secs!! I have already emailed Lethal performance on this I hope we get this problem fixed......your not alone
Same thing,the car just stalled...it did sound good for the whole 2 seconds it was on though. Lethal e-mailed me back and said they don't take back installed parts, and he'll have to talk to Granatelli about it...
Old 11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TElke1

Same thing,the car just stalled...it did sound good for the whole 2 seconds it was on though. Lethal e-mailed me back and said they don't take back installed parts, and he'll have to talk to Granatelli about it...
I just got email back saying that I need to talk to Granatelli also, this is not want I wanted to hear b/c I have a feeling this could take a while to get resolved.......I guess I will try this and see if this is a common problem or not, It sounds it might....

Quick Reply: Granatelli CAI