Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

stock better than my current tune ? how come ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:48 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default stock better than my current tune ? how come ?

I tunned my mustang back to stock and drove it .. ok well no throttle response no nothing but I noticed the gauges going faster to 200 kph

but wehn I install my custom tune 95 by fred .. ( im using 93 octane though because of a mistake i did while I order ) I notice way better driving style and everything i also feel more power but What confuses me is that how come the stock tune gets to 200 kph faster than freds tune ?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: stock better than my current tune ? how come ?

I also forgot to tell you I installed a JLT 2 cai with my 95 custom tune ( the tune is for stock mustang only not made for the CAI ) and when I tried my mustang there was no power at all ...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:37 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

This has been well documented.

Here's what happens. As you drive the ECU in the car attempts to "learn" your driving style and it changes the drive-by-wire parameters of the car. On this car there is no direct linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle. It's all electronic. So when you step on the gas, the throttle doesn't necissiarly open up right away. The ECU adjusts this to maximize gas mileage.

Whenever you change a tune (any tune), all this "learning" data gets erased, forcing the ECU to use the default settings. This is usually more agressive than the "learned" settings.

So, the issue is not that the "OEM tune" is better than your custom 95 oct tune. Your little "Experiment" is comparing your old (learned) 95 oct tune vs. a "fresh" OEM tune. If you switched back to your 95 octane tune you should see even faster performance.

There are a few things you can do to stop the ECU from doing this "learning" thing. First off, you could have your tuner set your car to "pedal follower" mode, which supposedly mimics a traditional throttle setup by disabling the fancy drive-by-wire features. This will really change how the car behaves though.

Second, you can periodically re-load your tune. This erases the history data and starts fresh.

Third, there is a simple procedure you can do that also resets the learned behavior. It works like this:

1. Sit in the car like you are going for a drive. (door closed, seatbelt on, etc.) Turn the ignition "on", but DO NOT start the engine.
2. Wait about a minute for all the blinking lights on the dash to stop blinking/beeping/etc.
3. Slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor, hold it there for a couple of seconds, then slowly let it back up.
4. Take your foot off the pedal then turn the ignition OFF.

If I were you, I'd get in the habit of doing this little procedure every couple of weeks.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

That sounds like good advise. I have noticed myself that depending on what day it is and how im driving the car, the performance seems to have changed in suttle differences. I never thought about the car maybe tring to relearn itself. Im headed to the drags tonight and im going to record the cars performance first run and then re-install my 91 tune and see if there is a difference. Thanks for the heads up...........
Old 11-17-2006, 01:50 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

you might need a new tune...try Brenspeed....they rock!

- Go Bucks -
Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You need a tune designed for the JLT CAI, you can't just run any tune with it. Call or email brenspeed.com and tell them what mods you have and ask them if they can make you a tune, not sure what it will cost since I bought my tuner and CAI from them.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:04 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the replies guys...

But while I was thinking of what could be the problem .. I remembered that my 4.10 affects the speedo so probably when i tune it back to stock the mustang thinks i still have the stock ring/pinion gears.... am i right ?

Im going to get a cai+pullies+e.water pump mezire after few months so ill stick with the current tune untill i get those parts..

Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Am I reading correctly that you are running 93 Octane fuel on a 95 Octane tune??? If yes, are getting pinging at top end?? Could be an issue......[][]
Old 11-18-2006, 02:28 AM
markj
1st Gear Member

DeMolet says not to run the stock tune with his CAI because the increased airflow will cause a lean condition. You can pull and plug and see if it's a little grey. That would be bad for the motor. You definately want a matched tune for CAI.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

nice chassis.
ORIGINAL: markj

DeMolet says not to run the stock tune with his CAI because the increased airflow will cause a lean condition. You can pull and plug and see if it's a little grey. That would be bad for the motor. You definately want a matched tune for CAI.

Quick Reply: stock better than my current tune ? how come ?