Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wildhorse Dyno Day - 460 RWHP / 433 RWTQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Default Wildhorse Dyno Day - 460 RWHP / 433 RWTQ

MusicCityGT, myself and several other members of our club stormed into "The Performance Garage" today like a band of wild Stallions for some dyno fun and we found it. I have been reading the post about blowing motors, throwing rods and gotta admit I was a little nervous even though Whipple felt 10 lbs was good on these motors. I have a good 15,000 miles on my car , broke in pretty much by the book and have put well over 1000 miles on the Whipple charged version, hitting the rev limiter a bunch due to not being used to how fast 1st & 2nd gear would be now. Well, I found I have been running way lean well over an AFR of 13 through much of the RPM band and even exceeding 15 easily at times, yet I still put down 460.4 RWHP and 433.3 RWTQ. I did not have my Diablo with me, forgot it and am using the Whipple "canned" tune which I thought was supposed to be very safe. I do have Long Tubes and "X" pipe which I'm not sure Whipple compensated for correctly. The Dyno operator Chriss feels like I will be in the 500 RWHP area with a proper tune and safer too. We ran up to 6000 RPM and shut down, now I'm excited about getting it right and will be on the phone with Whipple Monday for some guidance. The car feels great and if this motor was as weak as some allude to, I'd say I'm awful lucky or the motor is a little stronger than thought. The Dyno is a DynoJet that gave MusicCityGT lower numbers than the Mustang Dyno at Delk where he had done some pulls previously , so go figure, anyway I'm a happy camper tonight

Correction - looking at the AFR chart showed a high of 13.35 near shutdown and high 12's to low 13's through most of the run. The 14 and 15 numbers came after shutdown, but still pretty lean and will be changing these before another pull - soory about the mistake[/size][:@]
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Wildhorse Dyno Day - 460 RWHP / 433 RWTQ

i would not push it anymore without a forged short block, or push any more unless one is in your imediate future
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

One other thing that stood out today was that my car and MusicCity's car were the only 2 that had the "CHE Torque Limiter" installed and you could see it just watching the motors torque over when guys nailed them. Ours were virtually motionless, rock solid - a BIG difference. So if your gonna put some HP to the ground, look at the torque limiter as it is well worth the $$$$$ This is just a FYI as I have nothing to do with CHE or any distributer, it just really was obvious.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:30 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna get the AFR correct, but as far as turning the boost up any, I have no plans or NOS either, as I'm very happy with what I have now and don't plan on any strip time or that sort of compitition. I just like having alot of HP to play with on the street , but I want dependability and drivability and so far I have no complaints at all. Now if I do blow something, a shortblock and 15 plus lbs of boost will happen very quickly and I have already priced that stuff out, just would rather keep what I have now if it continues to serve the purpose of putting a grin on the face
Old 11-19-2006, 01:25 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

if you have the money, keep bumping it so we will know exactly where it will fail then, it would be a good tech article
Old 11-19-2006, 08:14 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

You seem to know already and I'm happy with it the way it is. If you have one of these , you do it for your own information and research and then share something that means you've been there and done it. I do what I want with my car car and I appreciate good spirited info sharing, but really get tired of the negitive know it alls. Right now its working fine, if it ever fails I'll post it so it will make you feel good about yourself dude
Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Way to go ZCAT. We had an awesome time and congrats on those numbers! +1 on the CHE limiters!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Good friends, bad *** cars, good numbers, nobodie's car broke, nobody argued about B.S. they don't know about - Man, this is what having one of these toys & being in a club with good people is all about.
Notice how we brought up the CHE to share good info about and thats what these sites should be for, unfortunatly you get some that just want to bring you down with "predictions" of doom. Maybe they should start thier own site & see how many join them, know what I mean. I bet that would be a great place to hang out[:'(]
Old 11-19-2006, 04:35 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I ordered my CHE K-member with torque limiters thanks to MusicCityGT. I receive mine on Wednesday and hope to see a difference since i've added my LCA's, UCA, and Panhard which haven't made me happy for the money put into them. Really hope they work out for me and the Kooks LT setup is next for me.

I appreciate you guys posting all the information about your dyno runs etc, wish you guys would have some videos for us though!

Thanks again guys!

-Jeff
Old 11-19-2006, 04:41 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

That's pretty nice setup you have there. I agree with everything you're saying even if I blew my engine before. It would be ridiculous to believe you can do all this without running the risk of failure at one point. There is always a risk. At the end of the day, don’t play if paying is a problem. It's part of the game. S#$ happens... It looks like you are ready for the eventuality. That's what makes it fun.

ORIGINAL: zcat

Good friends, bad *** cars, good numbers, nobodie's car broke, nobody argued about B.S. they don't know about - Man, this is what having one of these toys & being in a club with good people is all about.
Notice how we brought up the CHE to share good info about and thats what these sites should be for, unfortunatly you get some that just want to bring you down with "predictions" of doom. Maybe they should start thier own site & see how many join them, know what I mean. I bet that would be a great place to hang out[:'(]

Quick Reply: Wildhorse Dyno Day - 460 RWHP / 433 RWTQ