Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?

your right thats the point...
apology accepted..... we are all fellow stanger
Old 11-28-2006, 02:28 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

you guys should've gotten a manual if you care that much about shift points, etc...that way you can shift whenever the **** you feel like it.

[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Well, the majority of serious drag racers run an auto. Even though a lot of the very serious put in full manual valve bodies they still don't have to clutch and hence they never miss a shift. Auto's are the norm for circle track nowdays except they ditch the torque converter and run a direct drive set-up so there is no heat or slipping issue. A properly set up auto will, in most cases, outperform all but the best driven manuals. It is absolutley a matter of preference and depends on what you want to do with the car. I drag race. I do not miss shifts, I do not pull gears to late or to soon, I do not ever have to worry about glazing my clutch, and I run an 8.74 1/8th. We are fortunate with this car that we can make all the changes to the auto through the computer, where in the old days we had to do major valve body tuning to get the same thing. What a lot of people don't know with an auto is that there are very few moving parts when compared to a standard. The 14% or 17% loss that you hear about with an auto is due to factory settings are soft. Takes a little longer to shift, a little longer for lock-up, etc. etc. Once these faults are corrected an auto is not all that worse than a standard. The biggest difference is the thing we have called a torque converter. It is actually a torque multiplier and is the reason an auto can have a higher gear than a standard and perform about the same. My car will run with any standard with similar engine mods. And if they miss a shift, I win. Oh, and I can sit in 5 O-clock traffic very comfortable. And at last check I got 25.3mpg on the highway, not to bad I think. I am not trying to stir things up, just trying to say that for the same reasons you wanted a standard, some of us wanted an auto.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

The Ghost, is there a list of parameters we can change on the Xcal and how you access those, because it seems like when I try to customize mine, theres only.. maybe 10 or so options I can select.. nothing like the settings you said you changed. Im not at all doubting you changed that stuff, Id just like some help finding out how to do it as well! I got my tune from Brent and it is an absolutely awesome tune and by a great leap better than stock, Id just like to know how to... "tighten her up" so to speak for the track. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I had to download the program from SCT. I do all of my changes on my laptop after I hook the X-cal up to it. All the data logging is downloaded and I can look at everything to make adjustments. A great part of it was just how I felt it should feel regardless of data logging
Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks, Ill definately have to get that program. I went out and got a laptop after I tuned the car specifically for this, I just havent tried to tune it like that yet... [>:]
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Tony_m

Originally Posted by The Ghost
Useing my X-cal I have changed EVERYTHING about the way my auto performs. Shift schedules, line presures, lock-up schedules, everything has been modified. I was not impressed with it at all stock. It shifted sluggishly and at less than ideal RPM's, and the kickdown was just plain bad. It never seemed to be in the right gear for any given situation. I have modified my upshift schedule so that below 35mph it still shifts at the stock setpoints so my around town is very mild. But I have increased RPM for every shift from 35mph on up to WOT getting more and more aggressive the more pedal I give it. I am shifting at 6300RPM WOT. One thing that can't be controlled in the auto is the amount of fallback between shifts. Increasing line presure speeds up the shift so there is less fallback, but there is no way to set a fallback limit. I have it shifting at 6300RPM so that the fallback is right on top of my peak torque when it is time to pull the next gear. I have also done a LOT of work on the downshift schedules. I HATED the double downshift when I would punch it from around 60mph. Now when I let off the gas the car comes down through the gears like I'm downshifting a standard, this makes driving the twisties so much nicer because I don't have to use the brake nearly as much and am allways set up in the right gear to accelerate out of a turn. I set my line presures in each gear based on tire traction. I am still on the stock P-zero's so I am a little softer on the shift than I would like to be, but I have gone as high as I can and keep the tires from chirping when it shifts. A loose tire = slower times. One day I'll have the KDW's and firm it up more. By the way, if i firm up the shifts the car will break loose going 1-2 and scratch 3rd
Hello ghost i just read your post and i need to modify my Strategy tune the same like yours coz im having same problems, i just got a new JLT 110mm and a SCT 3015 that came without custom tunes and gave me ERROR (Long story) + i had 3 dad tunes from 2 companies that was trowing all kind of codes so i decide to do it on my own.

Car is GT 2005 Auto and im in Lebanon with hot and humid weather.

This is what i changed so far:
93 octane
Jlt 110 mm
Rev limit: Drive - 6300 Rpm
Rev Limit: N - 4000 Rpm ( to be safe not making a mistake)
Fan speed low = 180
Fan speed high = 200
Rpm neutral = 720
Rpm drive = 700

Spark = All set to Zero (is it ok for a 93 octane?)

Shift Pres = All set to +25% (Is this ok to set all of them like that?)

Tires +750 (I have Pirelli P Zero Rosso 275/35/19 ) <--- 750 is correct?

WOT shift = All 0 mph ( Can you please tell me the settings for those?)

Any more suggestions please that will improve car performance with less fuel consomation?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Nothing like resurrecting a 6 year old thread...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Tony_m

Originally Posted by Nuke
Nothing like resurrecting a 6 year old thread...
Right, but what can i do in my country no one knows what to do to help
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by imyy4u
... and it boggles my mind why someone that into shift points etc. would buy an automatic?
Maybe he only has his right leg (like me) and the best choice was to buy an automatic (or trade his 2012 GT 5.0 6-speed in on an automatic)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WOT Shift Points for An Automatic?