Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine "tap"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine "tap"

Okay, so I got in the Mustang this morning, started it up, and I hear something tapping. At first I think it's something rattling in the interior as it's more a a "tick tick tick" than what a normal engine tap sounds like. Can't find anything rattling inside, so I get out of the car. I can hear it, but it almost sounds like it's under the car (exhaust leak maybe?). I drive it to work, about 7 miles, and it stopped ticking about 3/4 of the way there. Confused, I get ready to go to lunch, and it's ticking again. It quiets down after a while, and I don't hear it by the time I get back to tthe office again (I travelled maybe 10 miles total). To me it doesn't sound like valve tap (I've had 2 cars do that to me before, and both have gotten worse as you drive). Anyone have any ideas? I know it's kind of hard to take a guess without being here and hearing it, but I'll describe it the best I can...

It sounds like a tick (not as loud as normal valve tap). Sounds like it's coming from the lower back portion of the engine back. It quickens with higher revs, but stops after some driving. I checked oil level, I run 87 octane (no tune).
Old 11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine "tap"

I could be wrong Slappy, but it sounds like a collapsed or collapsing lifter. That can come and go as the oil heats up. If you have a mechanical stethoscope that would be a quick way to isolate it or you could just take it to the dealership and have them check it.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:11 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Ah, didn't think of that. Good call. My question is, what might cause this on an engine with less than 6,000 miles?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

Ah, didn't think of that. Good call. My question is, what might cause this on an engine with less than 6,000 miles?
**** happens, could be anything. I blew an Evo MR engine completely stock with 1,400 miles, I had around 4k in mods in my garage waiting till I had time off from work to start installing them.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

I've heard of it happening on brand new engine rebuilds and it's usually just a faulty part. Could be something else though.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Well, in hopes that it was something as simple as a bad batch of fuel, I dumped some octane booster in there after lunch. My car sat the rest of they day (11:30 am - 5 pm), and when I started it up this afternoon, it was as smooth and quiet as could be. I'm hoping that's all it was, but I'm not that naive. I'll let it sit tonight, and see what happens in the morning. If it taps tomorrow morning, it's going to the dealership. On the plus side, I'm going away for a wedding this weekend (I'm not driving), so I won't miss it TOO bad!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Good luck bro and have fun at that wedding.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Haha, thanks. And I intend to...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Slappy, check this TSB out...stuck lash adjuster.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Ford/1147...-9-11/111.html
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Awesome 06hoss, thanks a million! I'll be taking a copy of that to the dealership this afternoon when I drop her off.

Quick Reply: Engine "tap"