Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

strut tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Default strut tower brace?

Does anyone know of a strut brace that will work if you have the plenum cover installed. I know there has been alot of chatting about these with pros and cons. I personally like the looks of them but none of them really say if they will fit with the plenum cover and pictures are hard to tell if there is enough clearance.

Thanks for any input
Old 11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: strut tower brace?

granatelli single tube works
ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

Does anyone know of a strut brace that will work if you have the plenum cover installed. I know there has been alot of chatting about these with pros and cons. I personally like the looks of them but none of them really say if they will fit with the plenum cover and pictures are hard to tell if there is enough clearance.

Thanks for any input
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

I'm assuming you have have or know of someone who has one. Was there plenty of room for it or did it rub at all? On a side note how do you like your Kooks? Do you mind if I ask if you got them coated or just left them as is and how is the sound? Does it sound tinny at all?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Granatelli single tube is the one you want. Just make sure you lower the back of your plenum cover as per the instructions and you will find a ton of clearance. I have had it on for two months and have not had it touch even with the hardest launch or shift. It also just grazes the hood pad and leaves two tiny marks. As opposed to the strange development bar I have seen that really dents up the pad.

And for the mustang source members they are 50 bucks plus shipping.

The strange bar is nice too. But it does hit the hood pad quite a bit more due to its shape. More of an arch as opposed to flat in the middle. Nice but pricy. The Granatelli bar looks like a factory gt500 bar. but the GT500 bar does not fit and hits the hood.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Awesome, thank you. I just went to their site but I noticed no pricing. I liked the look of the double bar from Granatelli and it looks like it will work too. One thing I noticed is it looked adjustable or something which I didn't think they where adjustable for the front ones. Also, what color does the single tube come in. The site shows blue.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:23 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

i heard that the double tube does not work well.....

Awesome, thank you. I just went to their site but I noticed no pricing. I liked the look of the double bar from Granatelli and it looks like it will work too. One thing I noticed is it looked adjustable or something which I didn't think they where adjustable for the front ones. Also, what color does the single tube come in. The site shows blue.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I love them...left them as is..no coating...and no tinny sound very very old school...love the sound of headers

I'm assuming you have have or know of someone who has one. Was there plenty of room for it or did it rub at all? On a side note how do you like your Kooks? Do you mind if I ask if you got them coated or just left them as is and how is the sound? Does it sound tinny at all?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

sry to hijack the thread but is there any real purpose to these???
Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

I'm leaning more and more torwards the Kook's set-up. Did you change your motor mounts btw. I think I'm gonna do this just b/c I have to be down there anyways. Kinda new to the headers, I read these are 304 stainless so they shouldn't rust but I read somewhere with them not being coated that it might affect the starter by over heating it. Have you ever heard of this?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

no have not heard anything about that starter thing...did not change my motor mounts...there is plenty of clearance and from what researched that was only due to some of the LT headers would rub when the engine torqued

I'm leaning more and more torwards the Kook's set-up. Did you change your motor mounts btw. I think I'm gonna do this just b/c I have to be down there anyways. Kinda new to the headers, I read these are 304 stainless so they shouldn't rust but I read somewhere with them not being coated that it might affect the starter by over heating it. Have you ever heard of this?

Quick Reply: strut tower brace?