Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

please help - superchager problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Mark_Dubai_2005GT

Default please help - superchager problem

Hi All,

I have the 2005, Mustang GT (Auto), D1SC Procharger Superchager with 800hp intercooler.
Running at rwhp.465 @ 9 psi

I’m having some BIG problems after installing the procharger.. first problem was the supercharger belt came off the crank pulley, we then changed and aligned the supercharger again (even though it already looked fine) we bought another belt off a local shop and it keeps snapping..?? The guy in my shop made a custom damper but that didn’t work.. it snapped again on the test drive..

He seems to think i need to order a special supercharger pulley damper to stop the belt from snapping or coming off again..? What do u guys think, I’m not mechanic so i know very little about this subject.. if this is the case do u know where i can buy this from?

ur help on this will be much appreciated.

Mark
Old 12-01-2006, 01:36 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: please help - superchager problem

ORIGINAL: Mark_Dubai_2005GT

Hi All,

I have the 2005, Mustang GT (Auto), D1SC Procharger Superchager with 800hp intercooler.
Running at rwhp.465 @ 9 psi

I’m having some BIG problems after installing the procharger.. first problem was the supercharger belt came off the crank pulley, we then changed and aligned the supercharger again (even though it already looked fine) we bought another belt off a local shop and it keeps snapping..?? The guy in my shop made a custom damper but that didn’t work.. it snapped again on the test drive..

He seems to think i need to order a special supercharger pulley damper to stop the belt from snapping or coming off again..? What do u guys think, I’m not mechanic so i know very little about this subject.. if this is the case do u know where i can buy this from?

ur help on this will be much appreciated.

Mark
with my rsx-s i s/c'ed it and kept snapping belts. it all has to do with the alignment of the pulleys, guaranteed. make sure they are exactly inline, being out of line by 1/32 of 1 inch can cause you to throw pulleys every now and then. it's definitely the pulley...trust me on this one, i thought mine was perfectly in line but one washer fixed the problem. so make sure you re-align it with a laser sight to make sure it is PERFECT. as i said before the slightest misalignment, even if it's not visible to the naked eye, can cause belts to throw.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Numby
1st Gear Member

Be thankful its a belt. We had the pulley come off the blower at 6200rpm's *sigh*
Old 12-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Mark_Dubai_2005GT

Hi imyy4u and thanks for the feedback, Ithought it would be that from the start.. To be honest the guys who are installed the supercharger aren’t the smartest of people, Quite worrying really.. One question. - Do u think its necessary to buy the damper or not, the supercharger was custom made for this make, model, yr - car, surely if everything’s aligned perfectly there should be no need for the Pulley damper??

Cheers
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

I have a friend who just had a Procharger installed and is having no problems with belt slippage , breaking or anything. Your right , it was engineered for that model car and there are lots running around without issues like that. I would think if the damper was needed, it would have been included. Best to put it the way it was built as that could possibly be another source of trouble IMHO. Another ex-member of our Wildhorses club here in Nashville had one (Procharger) on his 06 last summer and I don't remember any issues with his either. Those HP numbers are about what the ex-member had, however my friend had that same unit installed and is "only" putting out about 440 RWHP and 375 RW torque, he is a little disappointted. He also is having some trouble code lights that sre showing up now, but I think the car runs pretty good otherwise. At least your problem can be addressed with an belt alinement - electronic or ECM problems can be a real headach!
Good luck dude.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Mark_Dubai_2005GT

Default Please help - superchager problem

HI

After further examination to the supercharger we have worked out that the problem and the reason why the belt keeps slipping is because when I rev the car in red or go at high speed the pulley shakes from side to side causing the belt to come off. The guy a the shop said my car needs a new damper cos this is causing the belt to jump off. Do u think this is correct? i have seen it with my own eyes and i can see when the car is rev hard the pulley shakes quite alot.

Any advice? do i need a new damper custom for this supercharger? Any idea where i buy this from?

Cheers
Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Please help - superchager problem

When you say "new dampner" I assume you mean belt tensioner? If so, there are several people having issue with the belt tensioners on these cars, depending on the FI solution they are running. Seems to be common with KB and Prochargers. The Whipples, Saleens, and Roush SCs don't have the issue ( that I have heard of yet ). Most of them are seeing the tensioners either bend or break, and it is happening on decel. Few different solutions being tried at the moment. Reinforcing the stock tensioners, installing tensioners from trucks, not sure if anyone has actually came up with a true "fix" yet though.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

No problem with the Saleen
Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

no problem so far with my Vortech...

[IMG]local://upfiles/50057/418C74CC7E7840FF8A6A37CB38327022.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50057/FE5DB04CCF2D4A9D96F1082B5E17F681.jpg[/IMG]