Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

nooby storage question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
pats

Default nooby storage question

Hello all.I just bought my first 'new' car last week-a '06 gt coupe,and have been grinning ever since!Unfortunately,due to the weather up here in the 'great white north',i'm putting it into storage for the winter and will go back to driving my tried and true '90 bronco. I have searched the forums for info and came up empty,but maybe some one here can help me out.Can anyone recomend any storage tips?ie:remove battery,remove tires and put on blocks etc.The storage facility is a secure underground parking garage,minimally heated as far as I know.I appreciate any assistance,and allready have a few ideas for the car for the summer.TIA pat
Old 11-30-2006, 09:58 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: nooby storage question

wash, wax, vacume, etc, get some foam pads to park on, DO NOT USE JACK STANDS or the suspention will sag and it will look like a 4X4, fill the gas tank up, do an oil change, get a battery tender, and a covercraft breathable car cover
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
pats

Thanks "man".That was quick.Regarding a battery tender,if you mean a "trickle charger' there is no power available.Could you elaborate on the foam pads?Thanks p
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
NVR4GIT

My suggestions. I did quite a bit of research on this, along with what I already knew. There is alot of urban legend/wives tales about car storage. What I have had success with is this:
1. Just prior to bringing it to storage purchase a bottle of "Sta-bil". Go to the gas station and fill it up. It doesn't matter what octane (some believe that higher octane fuel breaks down faster than lower), there is no significant difference. Dump in the Sta-bil and drive it to storage. That will mix the Sta-bil with the fuel and get some into your fuel lines. This will prevent moisture in your fuel.

2. Clean the car thoroughly inside and out. Ensure to get the undercarriage exceptionally well. You don't want debris and moisture hanging out and causing corrosion during storage.

3. Get a good breathable car cover. You get what you pay for with car covers, spend the money, it's worth it and they last.

4. Since you have no power, it was recommended that you remove the battery. Do not store the battery where it is sitting on the ground or on concrete. In the past I have had to remove the battery, I put it in my garage on a milk crate and connected a trickle charger to it. You can buy those reasonably cheap at most auto parts places. Also, do not store somewhere that a leak or gases would damage anything. Note: You remove it to prevent having to buy a new battery come spring. The battery will drain without constantly being charged. This will also prevent erosion of the battery connections.

5. Depending on where you are storing it, I recommend covering the exhaust tips with something to prevent rodents from making a home there. They will also attempt to make a home in the engine compartment. There are several "home made" ways of keeping them away, I'm not going to recommend any of them, you'll have to research that yourself. I haven't had that problem, but in the spring I always check the engine compartment to make sure I dont have any unwanted passengers.

6. Some people say that you should put pads or other things under the tires to prevent moisture from building up and causing rotting of the tire and corrosion. Also that it prevents "flat spots" on your tires. If it's only for a few months, don't worry about it. You may get a little flat spot, but it will disappear in the first few miles of driving, once the tires heat up. I've never had problems with it and I store mine from November until March/April (depending on when the snow is done and it rains a couple of times to get the road salt cleared off)

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I just keep mine in the garage with a full tank of gas and go out and start it once in a while. No problems. I don't believe you have to go overboard with all these elaborate things to keep your car in good shape. Unless you were storing it for years for some reason.