Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic

I have the same issue with my car. P0506...

Ford blamed it on my CAI and sent me on my merry way, the pack of @$!$!@$@. Charge: 150 for inspection not under warranty.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:58 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I am confused about how "carbon" build-up in the throttle body would in any way have anything to do with the fuel system. Fuel never gets near the throttle body. These cars are direct injected, not TBI. While I do agree that a fuel flush might have improved your cars performance a hair because injectors do get varnish deposits over time. I would go back to the dealer and question their logic trying to relate a dirty throttle body to a $300 fuel system flush. Also if it looks like they did clean the "carbon" from your intake, you may want to question how they did it. If they simply sprayed cleaner down it's throat then there is a risk that the dirt got washed down into the heads, not great for your valves. Also our O2 sensors are very sensitive. I had an issue a while back with plugs fouling, my service tech believed the culprit was just bad fuel and caused the O2 sensors to over-richen the car. So I guess I am saying if they did shoot cleaner down it, plug fouling may pop up. If it begins to accelerate badly look into that first.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Good incentive to keep the filter washed and oiled every 3 months. Just do it with every oil change. That really sucks that this occurred 7k miles after your warranty expired.

Couldn't you have used your tuner to find the trouble code? Also, how hard is it to pull the TB to hose it down with some carb cleaner and wipe it down?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:14 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

Good incentive to keep the filter washed and oiled every 3 months. Just do it with every oil change. That really sucks that this occurred 7k miles after your warranty expired.

Couldn't you have used your tuner to find the trouble code? Also, how hard is it to pull the TB to hose it down with some carb cleaner and wipe it down?

Excellent advice. I have two filters for my intake. One is on the car and the other is cleaned and oiled, ready to go on. Whenever I change the filters (generally every other oil change...6000 mi), I just swap them out. Then I can clean and re-oil the other at my convenience.

Wiping down the TB isn't hard at all!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I clean my Marauder's throttle body every spring. Even before I put the CAI on my Marauder I'd get oily buildup on the throttle body blades from the PCV system. It wasn't hurting anything, but a spray can of throttle body cleaner from my FLAPS and 10 minutes of time keep it nice and clean. I plan to clean my Mustang's the same way once a year. I also like to check the PCV valve and make sure it rattles when I shake it, meaning the little check valve isn't plugged up.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:15 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Do you remove the TB from the car first or just spray and wipe inside with it connected to the block?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Get a can of throttle body cleaner and an old sock. Clean it yourself by hand. You'll find alot of deposits just past where the throttle body closes. Once done, put everything back together and run the rest of the cleaner through the PCV valve. Run it until the exhaust is clear again. Change the oil and filter. Do it every 5K. Your car will idle smoother and run better, and your wallet will be heavier. BTW - it is necessary to do this. The intake system does get rediculously dirty, mostly behind the throttle plates from the oil and vapors draw in through the PCV valve.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

You have to keep those Fetzer Valves and Muffler Bearings clean people[8D]

To be fair - it can sometimes hard to tell if service managers are spewing crap because they think you are an idiot, or if they are just an idiot...

I had many converstations with toyota repair people that amounted to me looking at them like they were insane and then explaining how what they had just said made no sense, mechanically, electrically or otherwise. They would then get the real mechanic to talk to me and what he said bore little resemblance to what I had been told previously except to come to the same conclusion - "car is broke - needs fixin'" which is what the original bozo was trying to say in very small words...

PCV system on this car seems designed to intentionally clog the intake and foul the plugs - get a filter on that bad boy...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

Do you remove the TB from the car first or just spray and wipe inside with it connected to the block?
So far it hasn't been necessary to remove it, I just hold the blades open and clean them, as well as the surfaces all around them. You'll be able to see back into the upper intake a bit when you open the blades, so if it looks nasty then by all means pull the TB and clean behind it.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Any idea where to get and how to install a PCV filter?

Quick Reply: Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic