Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

RE-Dyno my car...new numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:23 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Default RE: RE-Dyno my car...new numbers

That is a good hp number for an automatic. Congrats. Looks like your a very strong 50hp over stock.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

yeah VSOP, I saw your awesome numbers....great job....(I am jealous) [:-]I too was concerned about the first numbers....like I said even the way the guy at Coastal did the test was different.his dyno was a mustang dynamometer built in to the floor whereas the other was an above ground...coastal could not answer me why the other guy pulled so weak either...he seemed to go through the gears then hit it....whereas the other place just punched it in 3rd I believe....as far as SAE corrected, he did state it was .986 ( i think) corrected..when tested on the computer the RAW RWHP actually hit 318.( I am assuming that is without the correction) .I was watching the setup etc....he definitely ran my car allot harder and stronger sounding than the first shop....before he even tested I asked him to show me the results of a bone stock aut gt...he did have one...it was 248 rwhp on one car and anothe was 255 rwhp...so these are nice gains...he also showed me a gt with auto and sim mods getting up above 300....he also had UDP's on this car as well...whereas I dont....talked with the guy in legth about how many S/C he installed on 2005+ Gt...he stated 6 and showed me graphs and info....most recently a whipple....he definitely has a preference to Vortex...which I told him I did not agree....told him I am looking at roots style..and we discussed the whats and whys.....either way he offered a sweet deal on an install...so I am going to think about it....overall...much better day....its funny...this is like working out....or seeing a rocky movie....if you dont workout for a while or see a abd movie..you kind of leave disappointed.(first dyno run with low numbers) ..very blah...whereas you work out you see a good movie.(yesterdays dyno run)...you leave and puff your chest out and feel (tim allen grunts) overall...much happier...and I will say fred at Evolution was awesome through this whole thing as well....
ORIGINAL: vsop

ORIGINAL: Johnnie D

Mustnag dyno read TRUE numbers....good job....thats more like it

Actually Mustang Dynos numbers can read anything. Which is why I will never use one.
You can make them read any number you want. The whole thing about a mustang dyno reading lower then a Dynojet is BS.
Plus a mustang dyno can give wrong numbers just by the dyno tech entering a single wrong number when setting up for the car.
Notice how they have a weight listed for the car on the sheet, that actually has an effect on the dyno numbers.

I get so tired of people posting things they know nothing about. Love how the partyline works with internet boards

And yes Coastal is a Great shop and I trust their work. I just stick with Dynojets for my numbers (But I go to a guy I trust, who I can count on).

Cheftjpeck - Glad to see you got some good numbers down now. I had a hard time trusting the last ones.. I dynoed mine yesterday morning.
Here are my result thread https://mustangforums.com/m_2377098/tm.htm

Did you ask if these numbers are SAE corrected..? I don't see it anywhere on the sheet. I know mine were a .95 correction factor. so the 321.79 on the sheet was actually putting down just under 339rwhp & 357rwtq to the rollers with weather conditions at the time of the pulls.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:41 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

yes....to have the bung welded in cost me a free dinner...(had a freind do it..) but it is right at the end of the header and came out great...however i did get a quote of $125 to weld one in.
ORIGINAL: UrS4

Cheftjpeck,

Thank you for the new information. I am sure you are resting easier now that Fred's tune is not too lean. I guess the cats on these cars can make a drastic difference.

It is interesting how some people put up similar numbers when they have an A/F measured at the tailpipe of 12.5, while some have a similar A/F at the cat, and now you have a nice safe A/F measured at the header. I guess by the A/F readings you had of high 14s at the tailpipe, low 14s at the cat and now mid 12s in the header that the A/F changes quite a bit in a short distance of exhaust pipe. By this logic though all those people that have their tunes running 12.5 at the tailpipe or cat are running really rich and they are not putting down their true potential.

How much did it cost to have a bung welded into the header?

Thanks again for the info.

Someday I will have to get a bung welded in and maybe I will retry Fred's tune or Brent's or both.

However, my current custom tune puts down better numbers than Fred's and has an A/F of 12.4 at the cat (factory O2 bung) so it may be running a little rich.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:22 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

Actually Mustang Dynos numbers can read anything. Which is why I will never use one.
You can make them read any number you want. The whole thing about a mustang dyno reading lower then a Dynojet is BS.
Plus a mustang dyno can give wrong numbers just by the dyno tech entering a single wrong number when setting up for the car.
Notice how they have a weight listed for the car on the sheet, that actually has an effect on the dyno numbers.

I get so tired of people posting things they know nothing about. Love how the partyline works with internet boards

And yes Coastal is a Great shop and I trust their work. I just stick with Dynojets for my numbers (But I go to a guy I trust, who I can count on).

Cheftjpeck - Glad to see you got some good numbers down now. I had a hard time trusting the last ones.. I dynoed mine yesterday morning.

Did you ask if these numbers are SAE corrected..? I don't see it anywhere on the sheet. I know mine were a .95 correction factor. so the 321.79 on the sheet was actually putting down just under 339rwhp & 357rwtq to the rollers with weather conditions at the time of the pulls.

while you're 100 percent correct a mustang dyno operator could mess with the numbers buy inputing false parameters (weight having the biggest effect)...don't blame the dyno...that is a shady shop/tuner and they would not be in business long with any knowledgable customers. you will get a much better tune from a mustang dyno that is loaded properly and has the correct parameters... that has been proven on the dragstrip over the last few years. performance is what matters not numbers this is direct info from my buddy/tuner frank soldridge who tunes the current worlds fastest automatic car driven by ben hopko http://jdsperformance.com/benhopko.asp and many other big name racers that travel very far for his tunes...NOT me. i've known him for years and he's tuned on many dynos before he opened his own shop and installed a mustang dyno. also on a old low boost pump gas tune he tuned my stang to 719whp on a dynojet...opened his own shop with the mustang dyno (2 months later and cooler temps) and it "only" made 613whp with the only change being the dyno and a draw thru maf/bypass valve from a blow thru/bov...supposedly more accurate for high boost tunes but certainly nothing that would negatively affect power output . don't tell me the fact that they dyno lower is bs...i saw it with my own two eyes...same tuner/tune/car/psi/weather...different dyno. no difference in performance...just lower numbers. granted i'd agree that's an extreme % differece but it's my experience...there's no doubt the average difference is 8-15% lower #'s on a mustang dyno

oh yeah....CONGRATS cheftjpeck...we all knew something was off. btw $125 to weld in a o2 bung is rediculous
Old 12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

thanks...yeah, thats why I had my freind do it for a dinner....$125 insane....its funny people around here hear that it is a s197 and right away they inflate the quote regardless of the work....
ORIGINAL: turbostang21

while you're 100 percent correct a mustang dyno operator could mess with the numbers buy inputing false parameters (weight having the biggest effect)...don't blame the dyno...that is a shady shop/tuner and they would not be in business long with any knowledgable customers. you will get a much better tune from a mustang dyno that is loaded properly and has the correct parameters... that has been proven on the dragstrip over the last few years. performance is what matters not numbers this is direct info from my buddy/tuner frank soldridge who tunes the current worlds fastest automatic car driven by ben hopko http://jdsperformance.com/benhopko.asp and many other big name racers that travel very far for his tunes...NOT me. i've known him for years and he's tuned on many dynos before he opened his own shop and installed a mustang dyno. also on a old low boost pump gas tune he tuned my stang to 719whp on a dynojet...opened his own shop with the mustang dyno (2 months later and cooler temps) and it "only" made 613whp with the only change being the dyno and a draw thru maf/bypass valve from a blow thru/bov...supposedly more accurate for high boost tunes but certainly nothing that would negatively affect power output . don't tell me the fact that they dyno lower is bs...i saw it with my own two eyes...same tuner/tune/car/psi/weather...different dyno. no difference in performance...just lower numbers. granted i'd agree that's an extreme % differece but it's my experience...there's no doubt the average difference is 8-15% lower #'s on a mustang dyno

oh yeah....CONGRATS cheftjpeck...we all knew something was off. btw $125 to weld in a o2 bung is rediculous
Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Once again I say total crap. As I have seen the same car run on Mustang Dynos And Dyno Jets in the same day and the dyno jets were within 3-5% of each other and the Mustang dyno was 6-10% diffrence between them. And the numbers from the Mustang dyno were both a couple % lower to just above the dyno jet.

As for the mustang dyno being the one to tune with, actually the Dyno Jets units use eddy current load generators (Some models have them stock others its an option. The Mobile Dyno I was on actualy was finishing up the mounts so they could use the eddy on it) The Eddy box allows proper load generation for Partial throttle and proper A/F to tune not just at WOT.
Simply put if you are looking to know the actual power you are putting out you use a Dyno Jet, if you don't care about the numbers then you can use either.

You can listen all you want to your Buddy, as he owns a mustang dyno so that is obvious what he will say. I have actually had many discussions with MD owners and not one to this day has changed my view of them. And to say they never fudge the numbers is crap. When they want to say they have the most this or that at of a car/power combo, somehow the numbers always jump up on a MD.. I know many shops that have done it in the past that get in hot water later on.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Once again I say total crap. As I have seen the same car run on Mustang Dynos And Dyno Jets in the same day and the dyno jets were within 3-5% of each other and the Mustang dyno was 6-10% diffrence between them. And the numbers from the Mustang dyno were both a couple % lower to just above the dyno jet.

As for the mustang dyno being the one to tune with, actually the Dyno Jets units use eddy current load generators (Some models have them stock others its an option. The Mobile Dyno I was on actualy was finishing up the mounts so they could use the eddy on it) The Eddy box allows proper load generation for Partial throttle and proper A/F to tune not just at WOT.
Simply put if you are looking to know the actual power you are putting out you use a Dyno Jet, if you don't care about the numbers then you can use either.

You can listen all you want to your Buddy, as he owns a mustang dyno so that is obvious what he will say. I have actually had many discussions with MD owners and not one to this day has changed my view of them. And to say they never fudge the numbers is crap. When they want to say they have the most this or that at of a car/power combo, somehow the numbers always jump up on a MD.. I know many shops that have done it in the past that get in hot water later on.
but I would say that Coastal DYNO is not one of those shops...they are pretty reputable and he would have had nothing to gain to fudge my numbers...if he wanted a sale he would have gone the other way....I personally dont have loyalty to Dynojet or mustang dyno....or do i even put too much water in the numbers...I just originally had concerns that my numbers were as low as they were so I had taken my business elsewhere....after listening to others opinions and advice that my numbers were very low....overall i think we can go on forever about who built the better mousetrap.....they both catch mice...one just catches them with cheese and the other with bread.....i was just glad to see my numbers go up on the 2nd run and even hear / see the difference in the way both shops ran my car...night and day opposite...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:41 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

The Costal Dyno guys are awesome. I was hanging out with the whole gang on Saturday at the Dead Hookes II track event. The Turbo Terminators they had were wicked.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

The Costal Dyno guys are awesome. I was hanging out with the whole gang on Saturday at the Dead Hookes II track event. The Turbo Terminators they had were wicked.

they are insane...that car is awesome... I forget the one shorter guys name (carl i think the owner) he was real easy and cool to talk to ...he might be the one I get my S/C installed through...of course he is trying to push me towards a vortex, but i am really leaning more towards the twin screw roots style blowers......he still would install....I am going to take my time finidng the right person to do that....I want to make sure that is installed by someone who knows how to and has worked extensively with the s197 and SC installs....but yeah they are real cool bunch....hows your car doing VSOP...??how the headers sounding

Quick Reply: RE-Dyno my car...new numbers