3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock?

Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock?

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

ORIGINAL: Mike521

ok that sounds good but what's a tuneless GMS CAI, and what does RHWP stand for? how much does a tuneless GMS CAI go for, including installation?
Tuneless Cold Air Intake, it is a mod that adds 25 Rear Wheel Horse Power. The CAI costs $300 I think shipped and is the easiest thing to put on, you just need to know how to use a screw driver and you got it.
No offense, but 25 RWHP? That seems like an AWFUL lot for a CAI...I came from the "Import" crowd, I guess you'd say, as I used to own a 2002 Saturn SC2 (1.9L DOHC engine), and people used to boast figures like that all the time. Usually, you'd get an extra 25 HP if you did the CAI, and added a higher flowing exhaust/muffler.

I'd believe 10-15 HP, but 25 HP sounds a little exaggerated.

Back to the rear end question - I drove 2 GT's today in my decision to buy my '07 GT. The feel was there with the 3.55, but I didn't feel a huge difference between the two. I eventually went with the 3.31 rear end because 1) I didn't want to spend the extra $5k for the extra bells & whistles they had tacked on to the car (They kept trying to push this car with a dealer package of wheels, rally stripes, and some interior appearance add-ons that in all reality, only cost them $2500-$3k). It just didn't seem like all that much of a performance increase.

And, I'm more for overall speed and handling, rather than straight line performance, so the 3.31 was better for me.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

ok that sounds good but what's a tuneless GMS CAI, and what does RHWP stand for? how much does a tuneless GMS CAI go for, including installation?
Tuneless Cold Air Intake, it is a mod that adds 25 Rear Wheel Horse Power. The CAI costs $300 I think shipped and is the easiest thing to put on, you just need to know how to use a screw driver and you got it.
No offense, but 25 RWHP? That seems like an AWFUL lot for a CAI...I came from the "Import" crowd, I guess you'd say, as I used to own a 2002 Saturn SC2 (1.9L DOHC engine), and people used to boast figures like that all the time. Usually, you'd get an extra 25 HP if you did the CAI, and added a higher flowing exhaust/muffler.

I'd believe 10-15 HP, but 25 HP sounds a little exaggerated.

Back to the rear end question - I drove 2 GT's today in my decision to buy my '07 GT. The feel was there with the 3.55, but I didn't feel a huge difference between the two. I eventually went with the 3.31 rear end because 1) I didn't want to spend the extra $5k for the extra bells & whistles they had tacked on to the car (They kept trying to push this car with a dealer package of wheels, rally stripes, and some interior appearance add-ons that in all reality, only cost them $2500-$3k). It just didn't seem like all that much of a performance increase.

And, I'm more for overall speed and handling, rather than straight line performance, so the 3.31 was better for me.
Actually the gains on most mods for the GT are pretty freaking good.

You came from a crowd that was packed with people with half the cylinders and half the displacement, and 2v Heads [:'(], Of course you are going to get better reults from mods...

Go for the cheaper one and use that extra $$$ on a blower and gears [&:]
Old 12-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

I dont understang buying a V8 sports car and then being all concerned with 2-3mpg. I would gladly trade 10mpg for 50hp. My first car (charger w/440) got 8mpg, gas was $1.25gal & and I made $3.25hr. 20mpg is great guys.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:01 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

yea that's what I was thinking when I built it on the website -- 100 bucks when I'm spending 26k isn't much extra in exchange for some better pickup. like I said it'll be the only mod this car ever sees, in all likelihood

does anyone have accurate info as far as the gas mileage difference? seems like there are conflicting opinions.

if it's 1 mpg then I don't care, but if we're talking 5 or 10, well like I said this car is already going to blow away my current ride, so I don't really need every ounce of extra power
nah, if you go from 3.31's to 4.10's, then you might have like 2 MPG difference. It is slight but it is noticeable.

If I were you I would go for the 3.5's and grab a tuneless GMS CAI, they add about a mpg and 25RHWP [sm=smiley20.gif]
On a short highway trip (about 15 miles at 55 mph through rolling hills) I averaged 35.2 mpg with my 3.31s. Has anyone with 4.10s come close to this. BTW, mine is stock with an axle-back and 20s. Tire size is same diameter as stock.

I realize that some jealous person is going to probably call BS on this, but I know what I saw. I'm not going to argue about it.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 AM
skinjob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slow07
On a short highway trip (about 15 miles at 55 mph through rolling hills) I averaged 35.2 mpg with my 3.31s. Has anyone with 4.10s come close to this. BTW, mine is stock with an axle-back and 20s. Tire size is same diameter as stock.

I realize that some jealous person is going to probably call BS on this, but I know what I saw. I'm not going to argue about it.
Maybe if you were going down-hill the entire time or you accidently climbed into a Chevy Cobalt. fueleconomy.gov rates the 2005 mustang on the highway as follows:
6 cyl auto 25
6 cyl manual 28
8 cyl auto 23
8 cyl manual 25

And that's under the best of conditions. Given your name and your gearing I'll assume you have an automatic GT, which would put you at 23 MPG under the best of conditions. I very much doubt you are going to get another 12MPG ontop of that.

There is no way a CAI alone will get you 25HP. Maybe a CAI and a tune but not the CAI alone.

-J
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

ORIGINAL: jerjan

A 100 bucks is not a lot of money. Especially when the car costs over 20K. Putting 4.10 gears in the car later will cost a whole lot more than that. But, a 100 bucks might be worth it to you for 3.55s. Either way my 07 came with 3.31 gears with posi even though the sticker didn't say it had posi, it did. If you drive a lot in the city I would say upgrade. If you drive a lot of highway miles don't. If you cant afford a hundred bucks, what can I say?
I agree!!! We just picked up our 07' that we ordered.....with 3.55 s. I do plan on changing the gears, but when?? To me, I am not sure when the gear change will happen, so why not have the best factory gears to "cover" me for now. Reminds me of back in the day... customer needed to replace a lost center cap on his new 30k+ Expedition...."30 bucks for that small cap...I'm not spend that much on that"
Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

Skinjob, everyone knows that epa ratings are somewhat bogus. Need proof??? The highway rating for a manual GT with 3.55s is the exact same as the one with 3.31.s. We all know that a slower spinning engine uses less gas with all other things being the same. I friend of mine says that he commonly gets 27-28mpg , on the highway, with his '05 GT manual. You have already proven, with some of your other post, that you like to start arguements. Don't start one with me.

BTW, mine is a manual.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

If you've changed the height of the tires or gears and not corrected the speedo with a programer; your MPG figure will be off because your speedo/odo is incorrect.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

No height change. Don't get me wrong. I don't commonly get this well, because I have a hard time "grandpaing" it. It is usually mid to high 20s on the highway.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

I have the 07 premium gt conv with manual and 3:55's. Totally stock with 8000 miles and continually exceed 25 mpg at 70mph highway. Just my .02 worth anyway.